“Most comfortable beds ever!”
Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Atascadero
Raleigh
“Most comfortable beds ever!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Carlton Hotel while visiting the wineries in Paso Robles (less than 10 minutes away). The price caught our eye but the bed was the real treasure. I don't think I have ever had a night's sleep like that, it was a slice of heaven! The hotel also provides a complimentary breakfast -- anything off the menu in the restaurant downstairs which was delicious and plentiful. The hotel has been recently remodeled and the rooms are spacious and modern with nice touches. The staff was really helpful too, with suggestions for wine tours and then shippers to help with our winery purchases. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Ventura County
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at The Carlton. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Our room was large, nicely decorated and comfortable . The staff was professional and friendly. We enjoyed our breakfasts in Colby Jacks restaurant . The hotel is easily accessed from the freeway and is convenient to the many wineries in Paso Robles. Overall a pleasant experience.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here to break up the drive from Monterey to San Diego, and the reviews were right - this really is a gem! There is absolutely nothing to do in Atascadero, so that's a downside, but if you're just passing through and want somewhere comfortable to stay, this is a fantastic spot. The rooms are extremely comfortable, and the bathroom was amazing. It had a big separate bathtub with jets :) There are keurig coffee makers in the rooms and it was just a very comfortable room overall.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Breda,
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Large comfortable rooms, clean newly refurbished and in a great location for wine tasting in the Paso Robles area! A wonderful find and great value for money. shame it didn't have a full bar as we were "wined out" by the end of the day and wanted a basic mixed drink!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Worth
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here while visiting family. The staff was friendly and helpful. We were given breakfast vouchers and had breakfast at the hotel's restuarant. The breakfast was very good. We did not get vouchers for the weekend so we went down the street to a coffee shop called Bru. The breakfast there was wonderful- and the coffee was some of the best I have ever had! We had dinner at the hotel and it was delicious. I had the salmon and my husband had the steak- they also have a nice wine list and beer. I would definitely stay here again. Wonderful bathtub and lovely granite! Bed was great!

• Stayed December 2012
Marina, California
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel interior and exterior are cute. There is a wine bar and spa right next door along with a bakery. We wished we could have stayed longer! The front desk staff member was so helpful when I made the reservation. She was professional and friendly putting an ease to my worries about the amenities in the hotel. She also gave me information about possible sites to visit in Atascadero. The hotel is pet friendly and even remembered our dog's name on arrival and departure. We like the classy look of the place and the regal elegance of the furnishings and the rooftop terrace. The bathrooms are clean, all marble, classy, and spacious. The only thing is our room didn't have a hair dryer. The fitness center is facing out to a beautiful courtyard. We also went to the New Year's Eve Party at the Colby Jack's restaurant next door. Everyone we met was so friendly and welcoming. What a fun party! The food was superior to other catered events I've been too and we enjoyed the beautiful decorations, centerpieces, and details. Service here is great. It also comes with breakfast even on a holiday! It's definitely worth it for the price you pay and we will definitely be back again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We visit family in Atascadero several times a year. Although we usually stay in one of the nicer motels we decided to try the Carlton Hotel this trip. The hotel staff is really great - very friendly, accommodating and helpful. The amenities are super nice...the bed very comfortable...the restaurant downstairs a good place for breakfast, which came with the room. I think the remodel of this hotel was very well done and the hotel is probably the best place in Atascadero. We had some issues during our stay that Dina, the hotel manager, went out of her way to solve. Dina, by the way, is a terrific manager and very, very helpful/friendly. The issues are why I am giving the hotel a 3 star rating instead of higher. I hope I can "up" the rating after our next stay.

I booked the trip in late September or early October and was immediately charged for the first night's stay. On the way to Atascadero I decided to check the hotel rate and found it lower than I was quoted for all three days. I brought this to the desk clerk's attention when we checked in and she told us only the manager could adjust the charges.

When we met Dina she immediately gave us the "special" of 20% off if we stayed three nights (which we did), which saved quite a few dollars. Had I not looked up the price, though, I wonder if anyone would have told us about the special or the lower rates.

The hotel charges a $10 "resort fee" which is supposed to cover free wifi access in the rooms. This did not work in our room so we asked Dina if we had to pay for wifi. No one seemed to know why we couldn't access the wifi (it was not our phones or IPad as we got four bars on all devices). On our second day I overheard another guest telling Dina she could not access wifi in her room, either. Dina had a technician come in and on the third day we were able to get wifi in our room, although it was sporadic. Wifi in the lobby and elevator worked just fine.

I am allergic to feather pillows/comforters so I asked in advance for non-feather bedding. I am sorry to say that the pillows on the bed were probably as old as the hotel! One was ok and that's the one I used...my husband could have cared less. When I asked for newer pillows at the desk I was told we had the only non feather pillows and they guessed they'd have to buy some new ones. Huh?

Finally, we were on the third floor facing El Camino Real. We did not hear any noise from the street, other than motorcycles if they came by, which was nice. But...the first night we were there, at around 10 pm, we heard a really loud noise in the walls. In fact, it was loud enough that we had to raise the volume on the TV set to hear the dialogue.

We quickly realized that someone was taking a shower next door. About 30 minutes later, just as we were falling asleep, it happened again...another shower and unbelievable pipe noise that woke us up. This did not happen the other two nights we were there as we don't think anyone was in the room next door.

All in all, I would recommend the Carlton Hotel if you are staying in Atascadero or the surrounding area. We've stayed in Paso Robles and found it a bit far for going back and forth to visit with our family. Morro Bay is just 30 minutes away for a nice day trip...Cambria a bit further up Highway 1. There isn't much to do in Atascadero at night so staying at the Carlton is much nicer than at a motel along the highway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor to avoid hearing the people in the room above. Make sure to check...