“We will stay here again”
Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Atascadero
San Jose, California
“We will stay here again”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We visit family in Atascadero several times a year. Although we usually stay in one of the nicer motels we decided to try the Carlton Hotel this trip. The hotel staff is really great - very friendly, accommodating and helpful. The amenities are super nice...the bed very comfortable...the restaurant downstairs a good place for breakfast, which came with the room. I think the remodel of this hotel was very well done and the hotel is probably the best place in Atascadero. We had some issues during our stay that Dina, the hotel manager, went out of her way to solve. Dina, by the way, is a terrific manager and very, very helpful/friendly. The issues are why I am giving the hotel a 3 star rating instead of higher. I hope I can "up" the rating after our next stay.

I booked the trip in late September or early October and was immediately charged for the first night's stay. On the way to Atascadero I decided to check the hotel rate and found it lower than I was quoted for all three days. I brought this to the desk clerk's attention when we checked in and she told us only the manager could adjust the charges.

When we met Dina she immediately gave us the "special" of 20% off if we stayed three nights (which we did), which saved quite a few dollars. Had I not looked up the price, though, I wonder if anyone would have told us about the special or the lower rates.

The hotel charges a $10 "resort fee" which is supposed to cover free wifi access in the rooms. This did not work in our room so we asked Dina if we had to pay for wifi. No one seemed to know why we couldn't access the wifi (it was not our phones or IPad as we got four bars on all devices). On our second day I overheard another guest telling Dina she could not access wifi in her room, either. Dina had a technician come in and on the third day we were able to get wifi in our room, although it was sporadic. Wifi in the lobby and elevator worked just fine.

I am allergic to feather pillows/comforters so I asked in advance for non-feather bedding. I am sorry to say that the pillows on the bed were probably as old as the hotel! One was ok and that's the one I used...my husband could have cared less. When I asked for newer pillows at the desk I was told we had the only non feather pillows and they guessed they'd have to buy some new ones. Huh?

Finally, we were on the third floor facing El Camino Real. We did not hear any noise from the street, other than motorcycles if they came by, which was nice. But...the first night we were there, at around 10 pm, we heard a really loud noise in the walls. In fact, it was loud enough that we had to raise the volume on the TV set to hear the dialogue.

We quickly realized that someone was taking a shower next door. About 30 minutes later, just as we were falling asleep, it happened again...another shower and unbelievable pipe noise that woke us up. This did not happen the other two nights we were there as we don't think anyone was in the room next door.

All in all, I would recommend the Carlton Hotel if you are staying in Atascadero or the surrounding area. We've stayed in Paso Robles and found it a bit far for going back and forth to visit with our family. Morro Bay is just 30 minutes away for a nice day trip...Cambria a bit further up Highway 1. There isn't much to do in Atascadero at night so staying at the Carlton is much nicer than at a motel along the highway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor to avoid hearing the people in the room above. Make sure to check...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Beautifully redone to the classic look of the beginning of the 1900's this awesome find is brand new hotel, with great, ample, clean and most comfortable rooms. Their bathrooms are big and identical to the ones you'll find at the Four Seasons in Las Vegas. If you stay Thursday to Sunday, breakfast is included making this a great value. Let's support a privately owned well done hotel close to wine country in Paso Robles. I loved it!!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank mage1966
Worldwide Wanderer
Reviewed December 10, 2012

The Carlton Hotel is a great find in the Paso wine region and I would rate it 4.5 stars. The rooms and bathrooms are large and well-equipped. Great value for the money. It's the nicest place in town. My only complaint has nothing to do with the hotel...it's the town of Atascadero, which rolls up its sidewalks in the early evening. It would have been nice to have had some dining options in Atascadero. Instead we drove back to Paso for dinner. All in all, a nice hotel and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room with a Juliette balcony which was quite nice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ENCINITAS
Reviewed November 25, 2012

What a treat to come to the Carlton Hotel for the second time. I LOVE THIS HOTEL! It is so charming with its beautifully designed, quiet, and well-equipped modern rooms, and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. It is an historic old hotel that has been perfectly renovated. I especially love the beautiful, big bathrooms. The adjacent restaurant and the bakery are both outstanding as well. The Carlton is a wonderful bargain as you get a first-rate, 4 star hotel for the same price as a basic, bring-your-dog hotel chain. Check out their weekday prices that include a nice breakfast. You are minutes from all the wonderful wineries as well as Morro Bay and other cities on the Central Coast. Stay here!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side or one of the bigger corner rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This review should have gotten 5 stars but I was disappointed with the non-complimentary Fiji water in the coffee service nook. The hotel sits on the main drag and is easy to get to off the 101. Abundant, free parking mostly in a lot across the street, but some behind the hotel itself. Several local eateries within walking distance. Nothing fancy really but good. Drive a couple of miles and very convenient, familiar stores like Vons and Walgreens within easy reach.

Nice lobby and staircase leading to the rooms. Very nice 2nd floor courtyard. Great place to eat takeout, but I saw an ashtray on one of the tables, so smoking might be permitted. Great service and well-appointed comfortable rooms. The bathrooms are luxurious with jet tub and separate showers. They have complimentary breakfast at the restaurant, which is closed on Mondays. ‘Complimentary’ means 1 free entrée. Any extra item, for instance the wicked good granola, will cost. I got a free $7 Belgium waffle, so I’m not complaining.

Speaking of ‘complimentary’, the two Fiji water bottles looked really good after a hard day driving around in a golf cart and hitting a shot or 95 in picture-perfect 70+ degree weather. The coffee service nook was dark and I didn’t notice the sign written in a stylish, cursive font stuck to the bottles warning that these puppies weren’t free. Not their words, but you get the gist. See attached photo. The almost translucent nature of the sign, the style of writing and the way the warning is attached right above the flower that is part of the Fiji logo makes it, in my opinion, rather unobvious. Is that on purpose? I don’t know, but I would hate to think so because it would be a cheap shot for an otherwise classy, upstanding, great-value-for-the-money establishment such as this. 2 nights at $285 total including taxes and fees. Would without hesitation absolutely come back—just would bring my own water!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has been refurbished with nothing but the best! The linens and fixtures, as well as the furnishings are top notch. The restaurant and bar are excellent as well. We had a room that opened on the patio, a European flavor. There are a spa and a wine bar next door. Big city amenities in a small town.

• Stayed October 2012
PBG, FL
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Hotel is very well redone from the expansive lobby; to the showpiece staircase; to the comfortable guest rooms. Staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. All the second floor rooms open onto a huge patio area where we and some friends enjoyed a very good dinner meal served from their Colby Jack restaurant. Free Breakfast was excellent in selections, quality and service.
Considering their rates, we and our friends can't imagine staying anywhere else in this area.

Room Tip: There are some pet friendly rooms adjoining the patio and some grass behind the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atascadero
SpringHill Suites Paso Robles Atascadero
Allegretto Vineyard Resort Paso Robles
Paso Robles Inn
Paso Robles Inn
#9 of 18 in Paso Robles

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!