“Great Food, Good People”
Review of No Toro Cafe

No Toro Cafe
Ranked #26 of 141 Restaurants in Artesia
Reviewed August 18, 2017

We were on Vacation in Buena Park and when we are out of town, we like to find good local restaurants to spend our time and money... No chains or big names. We found this little place through Tip Advisor and it DID NOT DISAPPOINT. We were in town for 4 mornings and came twice! My husband is a pancake fan... He said the pancakes were the best that he has had in a long time. I love French toast, the blueberry walnut combination was decadent! We also had omelets and both the regular and Mexican coffee... Everything was super fresh, made to order and very reasonably priced. The owners and the staff were all very friendly and attentive. Whether you are traveling or are lucky enough to live nearby ... you have to check it out!

Reviewed April 10, 2017 via mobile

I'm not a fan of the breakfast burrito. I took a bite of my husband's and made him give me half it was so good! Excellent regular coffee and their specialty Mexican coffee. All the food coming out of the kitchen looked great and generous portions. Started out as a food truck & just recently transitioned to brick & mortar cafe. Great service. Servers and owners were super friendly.

Reviewed February 26, 2017 via mobile

I was in the area for business, and wanted an alternative to the sub-par hotel breakfast. So I looked up good places for breakfast in the area, and No Toro Café was in the top 5. I made the short drive from my hotel to the nearly full restaurant, and was seated at the bar upon arrival. I had no idea when I chose this place that it was a veteran-owned business. I instantly loved it, before even taking a single bite of food. Then when I learned that it was women veterans, being a veteran of the Navy myself, I felt that much better with my choice. I ordered the Mexican coffee, which was lightly sweetened and spiced with cinnamon and vanilla. Let me just tell you, it's going to be difficult to go back to regular coffee now! I asked for the Sniper Scramble Bar with red peppers, spinach and onions, along with their pancakes of the month "Caramel Pecan". The pancakes were moist and decadent, and the eggs that were delivered were topped with tomatoes, avocado, and bacon. When my breakfast was brought out, it looked so good, I didn't even realize I got the wrong eggs. I had already prayed and taken a bite when one of the owners came over and apologized for the mixup, and she asked if I wanted new eggs. I was fine with the eggs as they were given to me, so there was no need for an exchange. I savored every bite, and had at least three refills of the scrumptious coffee while I finished off every bite of the pancakes as well! If I'm ever in the area in the future, I will be sure to add No Toro Café to my breakfast itinerary. Hooyah!

Reviewed August 18, 2016

Seems all I do since I retired is get up early and take my wife to a Dr.'s appointment.

Tuesday was no exception, we had an 8:00 AM appointment, and after the visit on the way home, my wife decided she wanted some pancakes. One of my friends had lunch at this place and recommended it, so I asked her if she wanted to try something new. She answered yes, so I headed for this place.

The restaurant is in a store front on Artesia Blvd. It's not a massive place, but very reminiscent of some of the small breakfast locations we visit when we're in Hawaii.

It is run by 2 women Marines. Since there's no such thing as an "ex-Marine" we refer to them as Marines. Decorations are kind of sparse, but there are photos of military units with all of the condiments stored in ammo boxes.

My wife looked at the menu and the very first item was Raspberry Pancakes. She doesn't eat eggs, to she's a big pastry / griddlecake type person. I ordered the Sniper Scramble Bar. Which is 3 eggs scrambled with your choice of 3 toppings. I chose, Bacon, Spinach, and Tomato, and they came with a side of No Toro Potatoes, which are simply diced fried potatoes. Portion size for both items was fairly large Being an old guy, I can't eat as much as I did in a previous life, so what is large to me might be just my opinion.

When the meals arrived, I noticed my wife's pancakes were more the color of crepes than pancakes. When I thing pancakes, I'm thinking an overall golden brown color, these were more of a mottled beige/brown. When she took the first bite, a smile came upon her face, which told me she had found something she really liked. To I did the boarding house reach across the table and stole a small bite of just the pancake with no raspberries to mask the taste. I was quite surprised. They were light, sweet, and tender, with just a whisper of nutmeg. Some of the best pancakes I've tasted in years.

My sniper scramble was also quite tasty. I did have a small problem with the way the young man cooked the eggs. I realize a lot of people want their eggs scrambled hard, I don't seem to be one of them. My thought is the art of scrambling an egg has been lost to time. Most of the time, if you order a scrambled egg, the cook will put it in the pan or on the griddle then go out back for a cigarette, while your egg vulcanizes. Then they come back, flip it over, whack it a few times with a spatula, then scoop it on the plate. Now these eggs weren't that bad, he had kept them moving during the cooking process, just left them on the griddle a little too long.

As for the No Toro Potatoes nothing remarkable, but they were simple potatoes. Don't know if you've ever noticed it but potatoes gat run the full gambit of nothing special, to knock your socks off. They had a nice color which led me to believe they'd be slightly crispy, but on sampling the first one, it's was apparent, they were cooked earlier, then kept either on a steam table or in a warmer until served. No since they were simply potatoes, with no peppers or onions mixed in, they could have been improved 1000% by a simple dip in the deep fryer for about 30 seconds. This would have heated them up and crisped them slightly. No don't get me wrong, they were good just as they came, but if I were doing it, I would much rather serve great than good.

All and all, the food, and the service was very good. Our server, one of the Marines, was quite friendly and I'm sure if I'd asked, had a lot of stories to tell about her time in the Corps.

There was one item on the menu I had to ask about, and that was the Chesty Chorizo Wet Burrito. Now go back an read that again. It's not CHEESY, it' CHESTY.

Now for a short lesson, Chesty is in reference to Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell Puller. General Puller is the Most Decorated Marine in US History. His nickname was Chesty. In honor of General Puller, the Official Marine Mascot, an English Bulldog is named "Chesty" The current mascot is Chesty XIV (14). Oh, I got sidetracked, back to the story.

I asked the young lady if the dish was named after the General or the Bulldog. She started to say General, but then realized what I had said, and began to chuckle.

So if you're in the neighborhood, and you're feeling hungry, stop by, get a bite to eat and support these veterans.

3  Thank Divermaxey