“Do Not Stay Here”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Arroyo Grande
Bellingham, WA
“Do Not Stay Here”
Reviewed December 2, 2008

This was our second worst hotel experience ever. The first warning sign was when their records showed that we were checking out a day earlier than we had requested. I'm not sure how that gets screwed up on an internet booking system but, luckily, it was an easy fix. Though the rooms were clean the exterior is looking run down. Spare toilets stored in the open under the stairway. Stacks of undelivered phone books also under another stairway (no phone books available in the rooms). The continental breakfast is a joke - bad coffee, stale danishes and some cereal.

On our second night we returned after a full day with the family. Our room had been serviced but my wife discovered (after her shower) that they had neglected our fresh towels. I called the front desk to have some delivered. I was told they were all in the dryer and they would bring them in a half-hour. Never received them. I had to get them from the front desk the next morning. As I approached the desk I could see the note taken from the previous evening - "room 215 needs towels".

On our last night I was awoken at 12 midnight. The alarm clock in the next room was going off. I called the front desk. No answer. I tried to cover my head with a pillow. No good. After calling the desk for 30 minutes I finally got someone to answer the phone. I explained the situation and asked that someone come out and turn off the alarm. The response was "Now?!" Yes, now. I'm trying to sleep. He agreed to attend to the problem. After a half hour with no action being taken I called the front desk again. I let the phone ring for a full minute. Someone picked up and immediately hung up. Called again. Someone picked up again. This time I got him to respond. He actually lied to me, telling me that he came out to fix the problem but there was no alarm going off all while I can still hear the alarm buzzing through my head.

This time I told him I would meet him outside my door. The alarm could be heard from the far end of the corridor. He entered the room and turned off the alarm. Thank God. I returned to bed dreading my early morning flight.15 minutes later I was almost asleep when the alarm went off again. He had his the Snooze Button!!!

Unbelievable.

• Liked — Nice big stand up shower.
  • Disliked — Staffing and service.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank bensontc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
California
Reviewed October 21, 2008

Overall our 2 night stay was about what we expected. This property appears to have been recently purchased from the Econolodge chain. Although there are improvements being made to the rooms I would rank the rooms as 2 star.

The living area is fine; the concerning part is the bathroom. There is mold on the shower curtain and the ceiling in room 115. You can hear the freeway but the freeway was not an issue of us.

There is a refridgerator in the room and the television is good with lots of channels. There was a cigarette burn on the coffee table.

Beds okay, pillows did not give much support.

The rate charged was $20 less than quoted on the phone.

Overall our visit was okay. If you set a high bar for this property you will be dissapointed.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 27, 2007

The people who run the place do not speak good English and they staff the front desk with unqualified personnel. Two or three of them stand around watching as they process my credit card. The room carpet was worn and filthy. The bed itself was clean, that's about all I can say for it. I'm not sure that the people who say the complex is clean were at the same motel as the workmanship is clearly a disaster. Bathroom had uneven floors and the "shower" was clearly installed by a do-it-yourselfer. Choice Hotels clearly has no standards or they wouldn't have their name on this dump -- I expect to pay less and get fewer amenties and such a national chain, what I got was filth.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — staff, dirty rooms
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank mg35

Travelers are raving about these Arroyo Grande hotels

Newark, California
Reviewed September 3, 2007

We stayed there for one night to meet up with in-laws at Pismo Beach Area, coming back from Disneyland for a couple of nights on our way back to the Bay Area. We just spent a lot of money in Anaheim so we were on a budget and this hotel was the cheapest we found at the last minute on Labor Day weekend.

We had room #221 and the balcony faced the nosey freeway so we couldn't have it open when trying to watch TV. Of course it's an older motel so I didn't expect much. I never really expect much from an Econo Lodge or any of these older hotels. Some people expect the Bellagio or something. Our room was on the bigger side. We couldn't hear any of our neighbors in our room. We had a fridge and a microwave.

But a few things I didn't like. Spider webs on the ceilings and ants crawling around the bathroom at night. I think I saw a Hostess ding dong wrapper under my bed. And also the toilet stop flushing so I had to take out the lid and mess around the flushing device.

The pool was nice and clean. The lobby was clean and had continental breakfast. Check-in and check-out was a breeze.
I would only stay here again if there was nothing else available in the Pismo area.

• Liked — Microwave and Fridge
  • Disliked — Spiderwebs, Ants and Toilet stop flushing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Fredrock
Danville, California
Reviewed August 4, 2007

We stayed here for a weekend, won't be back. Where to begin?

The location is pretty bad, right off a busy freeway (101). Would not be an issue except the walls are paper thin so we could hear traffic plus our neighbor's TV, and of course the motorcycles revving up in the lot. Checkin was fine, we got a second floor room which had no tub but instead a cheapo shower with cheapo white towels that wouldn't even meet WalMart standards. The room was average size with an old 19" color TV, but the furniture, carpet and bed have seen better days. The sheets weren't fit for my dog's bed. The only reason it gets 2* is for the in-room refrig, microwave and free highspeed wireless internet. The free conti. breakfast includes watered down coffee, danish, juice and cereal.

Did we mention the low budget clientele and the snarling dog across the street? Flimsy locks/doors = potential safety issues.

All in all this is the worst property I have visited in the past 20 years excluding a motel 6 that had roaches. We stayed here because it was cheap - the only chain property <$100/night - but be forewarned - you get what you pay for.

• Liked — Free wireless internet, cable TV, refrig
  • Disliked — noise, threadbare sheets and towels
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Boraxo
Castaic, CA
Reviewed July 16, 2007

Normally when visiting the area, we like to stay at places like Apple Farm but this was a spur-of-the-moment weekend and only two locations had any vacancies. I picked Econo over the other one. I wasn't sure what to expect.
The Good: Overall pleasantly surprised. Very clean building complex and our room was likewise. Nothing fancy but comfortable with cable TV, refrig, microwave.
The Not So Good:
a) Our room faced the freeway (second floor) so the noise was a bit much (could not leave open and listen to TV). Still able to sleep o.k. with slider shut.
b) Shower head height was made for someone about 5 ft or under. Not sure why. Worked fine with a little contortionist act.
Note, If it wasn't so clean, I'd give it a two and a half.
Minor: Limited continental breakfast. Only cold cereal and some baked items, no fruit, etc. We usually go have a nice breakfast anyways.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed April 23, 2007

Our stay was pleasant. My boyfriend and I went for a weekend getaway and we booked last minute. For the price we paid it was worth it. Our room was clean and it had a view of the pool. You could hear the freeway, but it did not bother us. The room was clean and more spacious than expected...had a mini fridge, microwave and a shower with good water pressure. We'd stay again.

• Liked — Great place to rest and recoup. Never underestimate the power of a good shower
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Hilton Garden Inn Pismo Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Pismo Beach
#13 of 27 in Pismo Beach
Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area

Been to Aloha Inn? Share your experiences!