“Amazing Food on the Central Coast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ember

Ember
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mill Valley, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Food on the Central Coast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

We were staying in Pismo Beach and looking for a foodie worthy experience and found it at Embers in Arroyo Grande. It is a farm to table restaurant with amazing food, impressive wine list and vibrant atmosphere. A great night out for a date or with friends! They don't take reservations so show up early or be prepared to wait. I had the Mary's Chicken my wife had the steak. Both turned out to be great choices!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank TastetyTraveler_SF

Ketchum
“Casual and yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

First come first served. They won't tell you how long your wait will be, or seat you till your whole party is there, but it is worth the wait. The staff were delightful and professional, the food was DELICIOUS and the ambiance is very nice. It was a little noisy, but that comes with all those excited customers. I will be back.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank KetchumPegasus
“Still great and getting even better, if that's possible”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I had not eaten here in a couple of months, primarily because we worry about the long wait for a table that frequently happens. But we showed up at 5:15 on a Saturday and noticed a nice change. The "first come, first served" seating in the bar area is now dinner seating, so there are more tables for diners. Our wait was a mere 10 minutes… we will definitely come more often if the wait is not what it used to be (45 min or more). But don't think that the shorter wait means the restaurant is not in demand… to the contrary. The restaurant was packed and lively. The food was AWESOME. Really… the Mary's chicken is the best chicken I have ever had and the pizzas never disappoint. A wonderful local favorite.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank PismoLulu
Arroyo Grande, California
“Wait staff needs proper training”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

This was my second visit and the staff has not improved. They really need to get a hustle on, starting with the hostesses. There doesn't seem to be any urgency about seating customers or bringing the food to the tables. Our server, Kyle, had a protracted conversation with 2 customers while the rest of his tables waited for their food. Not good. Save the socializing for your own time. Even though we arrived at 4 PM, we still waited for the hostesses to get their act together. They should really have a plan for seating the customers as quickly as possible. The food was good, but I will not return because of the lackadaisical attitude of the staff. Also, at the prices charged I would expect a white tablecloth instead of brown butcher paper on the tables.

• Visited June 2014
Avila Beach, California
“Good food, hostesses need help, very loud”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

We walked in shortly after 4pm since we knew it gets busy and we've been wanting to try this place! Although only a handful of tables were seated, we still had to wait 10-15 minutes to be seated without explanation. I thought that was pretty strange...

Another time we came in at 4:30 on a Saturday night and was quoted 30-40 minutes. We waited over an hour... They need help in the front of the house!

We sat down and I ordered a diet coke. No diet soda but they have Mexican Coke. Ewww...I'll pass. Another strange thing. Doesn't every eatery have a soda machine? They do have a lot of local breweries on tap and my husband ordered a few delicious beers.

It was also VERY loud inside.

I order the swordfish ($23) and my husband orders the Ribeye Steak ($30). We decided to bypass salads and appetizers, although they all sounded delicious. We waited over 45 minutes to get entrees. My swordfish was very good but was definitely missing salt.

Despite some of the strange events of the night, we really enjoyed our food and everyone was really nice. The menu changes on a monthly basis - which I love - depending on local ingredients and what is in season. It seems like the entrees also include and fish, poultry and steak item on the menu for each month.

I'd love to come back when the craziness of this place dies down a little (if at all). The monthly menu change makes me want to return and try some different foods.

Visited May 2014