“Check out the neighbors”
Review of Premier Inn

Premier Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Arroyo Grande
Truckee, California
“Check out the neighbors”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good location right off freeway. Quiet, on a hill. Rooms fine for price. BUT, they seem to house "workers" or perhaps even housing for indigents. First morning we were woken at 5 AM with loud "boom box" next door. Next day it was people banging on their door at 2:30 AM followed by lengthy and loud conversations outside. Following day we left! Ask not to be housed next to "workers." Take your chances on regular motel guests.

Room Tip: Ask to be housed next to travelers - not long term guests.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sharon33191

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Groningen, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I will only comment on the wifi of this motel. You had to pay 5 dollars for the most basic wifi connection per day. That is okay, but you would then at least expect to get better internet than in most hotels. Let's face it, good wifi connections are scarce in the motels of America. But here, it was actually worse! Very slow! It would have been faster to take my files personally to my home in the Netherlands (we were uploading our pictures there).
Again, I would not bother to complain about this, if the wifi connection was free.
The rest of the motel was okay. Basic, but cleanish.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Arroyo Grande hotels

Cube13
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I had a confirmed reservation for the weekend at this hotel and the hotel overbooked and didnt offer an alternative. Instead I was offered a hotel room at a hotel that didnt have a single 5 spot rating on trip advisor. All negative reviews. This all happened with less than 24 hours before check in and not even a phone call, just e-mail. So now I'm forced to pay more for a room for the trip and they are still selling the rooms for this hotel online with no regard to others who may reserve a room also. At least turn off the online inventory.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cube13
Oceano, California
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I was leering of staying here because of the reviews, but after getting a mixup on the reservation taken care of, it was a great nights stay. We traveled with over 200 motorcycles from Santa Paula to Pismo Beach with a few stops on the way. When we got to hotel at 3pm to check in, the bikes were ready to go, so I went in office and asked can we check in later. No problem the clerk said. Well, the reservation was a block of rooms under one name, we forgot the name, but DJ went out of her way to find it, and we finally found our friends, so it all worked out!!~!! DJ was awesome, she even offered her home to us, if no room. LOL Thanks Premier Inn, we will visit you again!!~!! The Inn has a nice set up, pool & jacuzzi great, and the room was clean and comfortable. ;)

Room Tip: NO restaurant OR fitness center. Free coffee in am, and vending machines;) Rooms on backside quiet...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hemet, California
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I just had to write this after reading the terrible review mentioning Terry. It has been several months since I have stayed there because I am no longer in the area at the time I need to get a room.
I use to stay at thePremier Inn for 9 or 10 years every Sunday and Tuesday night. In my travels I have stayed hundreds, many hundreds of nights in motels and Premier Inn in Arroya Grande CA, is one of the best motels I have stayed in for the price. As far as their staff goes, I have never seen better at any motel or hotel at any price.Terry has never been anything but friendly, courteous and helpful. I really can't imagine her being rude to anyone.I even brought my family there when we were driving up the coast on vacation and my wife and son commented on how nice the staff was. I only wish other hotels had the great staff that Premier Inn A.G.has. John, Terry, Cindy, Mike and all the staff there are fantastic!!!
The rooms are great for the price always clean and queit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Craig D
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My family's stay was completely ruined by front desk employee Terry, with the full support of her manager, Christopher Sheehan. This goes beyond mere rudeness. Partway through our stay, they canceled our remaining reservations, told bold-faced lies, and treated us like scum for no apparent reason.

Here are the details of our nightmare stay.

It was the week of the Fourth of July, so we were going to have to move to a smaller room for a part of our stay, and there were no rooms available at all on the 4th . (Understandable). However, the gentleman who checked us in said to keep checking with the front desk in case there were cancellations so we wouldn't have to change rooms.

When my mother went in to check on this, she spoke to Terry. Mom went into the office happy, and came out near tears.

Terry accused us of trying to stay in a “handicapped room” (the smaller room we were offered, which was never referred to as a “handicapped room” before this). “Handicapped rooms are for handicapped people!” Terry exclaimed indignantly. Terry then proceeded to verbally bash her co-worker (a much nicer person who had helped with our reservations) right in front of my mother.

The next day, when we went to switch rooms, Terry told my stepfather was told that there was a “do not rent” message under my name, which had never been mentioned before.

She accused us of doing something wrong on a previous stay two years ago, but would not say what. This made me recall that on the last night of our previous stay, we had been woken up twice around 1AM by phone calls from the front office. A female employee viciously informed us that there were “noise complaints” about our room, and wouldn't believe us when we said we had been asleep. (I deduced that this was probably also Terry, who mentioned she had worked there five years.) At the time, I had put it down to one grumpy employee having a bad night, but now it seemed to be a pattern...

So I called the front desk to find out why I suddenly had this blemish on my record at the motel. Terry said, “I can't discuss that” and claimed the manager wasn't there. Then she hung up on me. I called again, and asked if she had been there the day before. “I certainly was,” she said, “and I was not rude to your mother.” Finally, she put me through to the manager, Christopher. His voice was just as cold and smug as hers was. After much pressing, he finally claimed we had damaged the room on our previous stay (completely false, and never mentioned before this). He would not specify what kind of damage we supposedly did, but he did say, in a threatening tone, “So, you never received a bill?” As I tried to work the situation out, all he would say is, “That's where we're at now” over and over. (I wish I would have thought to say, “So, how do we get from where we're at now to where your paying customer is satisfied?”) Then, he hung up on me too. A few minutes later, Terry called and threatened us to be “out as soon as possible,” although it wasn't check-out time yet.

I can see why my mother was near tears – after about two minutes of talking to Terry, I almost felt like crying myself. With the way that she lied, I don't even trust that her name actually was Terry. I work with the public myself, and I can't imagine treating paying customers this way – particularly ones who spent hundreds of dollars and did nothing wrong. I cannot imagine what was going through these people's minds. They treated us without the slightest shred of human decency.

I would not trust these people to honor your reservations. You may suddenly find yourself with no place to stay in the middle of a busy holiday weekend, and insulted and degraded to boot.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Brent P
Truckee, California, United States
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I reserved an inexpensive room for a stop on our way to our daughter's graduation at UCSB (Santa Barbara increases their hotel rooms by almost 50% for graduation weekends) the day we were traveling. The booking.com system (which is what the hotel site defaults to) said there was only 1 room left at this price (2 Q - $49). Printed confirmation and then drove 7 hours. They did NOT have ANY reservation for me. A change in plans earlier left us needing only 1 bed so I mentioned this calmly to D.J. the manager on duty that evening. The hotel was busy when I checked in at 9pm and calls were coming in for any vacancies (there were none as the Classic Car event was in town this weekend). After a long exhausting day, I was annoyed, frustrated and finally in tears. D.J. was helpful in finding an accommodation that would fit my needs (non-smoking room).

I know my situation probably incurred the wrath of someone else checking in later to find either no room or a smoking room when they did not need/want it.

Thank you D.J. for helping me out in a frustrating situation. She indicated this has happened before with reserving online at booking.com but she did have other booking.com reservations sitting in front of her. My recommendation is to stay here if you are not looking for luxury as the room was very adequate for the price paid ($42.99 for one bed), BUT, call the motel directly to book your room.

I was also a bit worried about some past reviews from 2010 of bed bugs. There was no issue with this in June 2012.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area
Shore Cliff Hotel
Shore Cliff Hotel
#5 of 29 in Pismo Beach

Been to Premier Inn? Share your experiences!