“Very Good Mexican Food”
Review of Me and Z's - CLOSED

Me and Z's
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stopped here at the recommendation of a docent at the Butterfly Grove. We had lunch and it was very nice. They provided a complimentary cup of soup and a dessert. The meals were good and adequate in size. The enchilada was a little skimpy in terms of the quantity of meat but the food was good. Service was very good and the restaurant was very clean and comfortable.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We went here to see what it was like. Small hole in the wall kind of place with really good Mexican food and our combo meal included a small bowl of soup and some ice cream for dessert. We'll be going back!

1  Thank 990BobN
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We are locals and went to pick up a to go order. We paid with a "complimentary meal" coupon. They tried to tell me that I needed to order two meals to get one free and I showed her that it did not say that and that I had one free meal.The oldest of the three women tossed my order at me and told me "just leave" when I asked for the manager. The other two were just as bad and told me that the manager was "not available" and "just leave" I will spread the word that this has to be the WORST service anywhere in our area. They knew they were wrong and that's why they wouldbn't get the manager or owner. People in our town don't act this way and we sure don't have room for this behavior in our community. I will be in to speak with the owners.

2  Thank B D
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Clean from the moment you walk in the door. Menus, tables, and seats are cleaned. If you have to wait, its because they are near capacity, Its not because their waitresses are on a "rotating break" system like a chain-restaurant, and not because it will be "just a moment while we clean a table for you" (which means a high-school aged kid will clear it and clean it as quickly and as minimally as possible). Sorry, you can see that I am "Grumpy". That's okay though .... my wife, "Picky", is an excellent partner and she asked me to pass some things on to you, dear reader.

So, as I was saying, family owned has its advantages. The restrooms are clean. The menus are clean. You can see into the kitchen from the small entry area, or through a big window on the back patio. Nice.

Salsa is good, not too chunky, not too smooth either. Chips could be a little bit lighter in my opinion, but they are probably made from the excellent local (smaller diameter and thicker) corn tortillas. Some choices of American food on the menu, but it would probably take me a while of trying various mexican dishes before I even ~considered~ ordering a sandwich or something.

Speaking of a "still to try" list: a dish that might be called cabrito elsewhere. The last time I had cabrito (goat) was in San Antonio, and it was bony and greasy, not like I remember from when I was a "KID". Heh.

Other things on my "still to try" list include Chicken Enchiladas Verdes, ceviche, rib appetizer, and carnitas.

We asked for a small sample of the enchilada sauce, because the bright red sauce used in this area is too spicy for her, and makes me grumpier because I prefer the browner, chili-like enchilada sauce.

Now, for what "Picky" and I ordered: she had a crispy beef taco, asking if the ground beef could be cooked some more in order to make sure it was not undercooked. They said that their ground beef was already cooked well (we have heard that before and learned otherwise) and it was true. The taco was crispy, the beans were refried pinto (with some whole pinto beans in the mix) and melted cheese. Picky liked the rice okay, but it was nothing spectacular. I agreed with her but I must add that it was fluffy and that is not typical of most places (in my opinion).

I asked if the pork tamales had a lot of masa (it makes me even grumpier than usual when a tamale is bigger than a corn-dog but has about a pencil-sized portion of pork in the middle). It was a relief to here that no, there was as much meat as masa. I did not believe it really, since I am originally from Texas, and California tamales are one of the things I am famous for griping about. WELL! This was the first California tamale that reminded me of home. Yum.

The Chili-relleno was fresh, cooked just right, and covered with a wonderful sauce. So far nothing too spicy. The guacamole that "Picky" does not care for was just fine (she put it on my plate because she did not want it even touching her food). Well, more than fine. It was not the pre-packaged stuff you get from chain restaurants. And although its not as good as my own homemade guac, its still very good. Again, so far, nothing too spicy.

The salad that came with my plate was a mixture of iceberg and romaine (I think) with some fresh pico de gallo on top. This had a little kick to it and was a nice change to the usual stuff you get from a make-your-own-2-entree plate in most mexican food restaurants.

Oops I skipped the best for last. The pozole soup (no extra charge, it comes with any plate I think) was FABulous. It was good pork chili with soft hominy. Since "Picky" does not care for it, I got to eat TWO cups!! Nice.

And then there is the ice cream. Hand-scooped, not soft-serve. Light crispy cinnamon and sugar churro-chips on top, not a BIG serving, just enough dessert to make you feel -- well -- NOT grumpy. A little caramel sauce on top. Heh. Wonderful.

I regret not taking a photo of my plate because it was pretty.

Total damage to the pocket book was $22.40 (after tax, but before tip). Nice. It did not even take a crowbar to open the Grump-man's wallet this time. The food and the service made me feel generous enough to leave a decent tip. I usually do not feel a tip over 15 percent is justified. 10 percent happens, and sometimes less.

Me & Z's must have refined their menu and their style over the years, or maybe its just the way it always was. This was only my 2nd visit. Last time we sat on the patio and enjoyed it. So I cannot say if they have adapted to the customer base, or if they just started out serving good food and the customer base grew over time. No matter, either way, I am going to try out "Happy" and "Sleepy" for a while because I ate at Me & Z's.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We feel fortunate that Zenaida moved her restaurant back to a location very close to us. You will love the staff, the food, and the comfortable, clean, and bright atmosphere. Crispy ground beef tacos with a side of guacamole always hits the spots. All dinners come with complimentary soup and dessert.