“Great camping!”

Lopez Lake Recreation Area
More attraction details
Owner description: A picturesque camping, hiking and outdoor recreation area.
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great Camping lots of trails, usually not to busy jan-june. Then the summer months hit and it can fill up fast. Good bonfire pits available and camping is usually not that expensive for a spot.

There are newer reviews for Lopez Lake Recreation Area

Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is a lovely park slightly inland from the Grover, Shell, and Pismo beaches. Rolling hills provide plenty of spots in the lowlands or highlands. Water surrounds most of the park and provides plenty of space for kayaking, canoeing, or general boating. Marina is nice and decent camping facilities. Small water park with water slides on site for kids, teens, and the young-at-heart (for an extra fee). Truly a lovely spot to camp if you prefer to be away from the breezy ocean. Only down-side: Can get quite warm away from ocean breezes.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I have fond memories of camping at Lopez Lake as a kid. I even received my very first kiss at Lake Lopez. However, going back as an adult did not pan out as the magical adventure I embarked upon as a 10 year old. We showed up late in the evening due to my work, and stayed in, hands down, the loudest campsite I have ever been in. I camp every year, and have been since I was about 5 years old. I'm an experienced camper, and I have camped in nearly 19 states in this country. it was 2 o'clock in the morning, and it sounded as if every campsite was still awake, and making as much noise as humanly possible. That wasn't even the kicker. I eventually drifted off to sleep. Then, in the morning I awaked to find out that the friends who were supposed to be camping with us and their 2 small children had gotten kicked out for getting in an altercation with people who were running through their campsite and throwing rocks at a skunk! To top it all off, the woman at the registration building, a blonde in her late 50's, was one of the rudest park attendants I've ever encountered. When I walked up, she just stared at me, and then proceeded to treat me as if I were stupid. We decided to leave rather than deal with another night of this, at which point she told us we had better be out of our campsite (that we had paid for, for 2 nights) by 11:00. Next time we'll just got to Lake Nacimiento or San Antonio if we plan on camping near home.

2  Thank Jessie M
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Camping, picnicking, boating on the lake in the hills above Arroyo Grande. Easy drive up the mountain. Fun for the whole family.

1  Thank Otter-play
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We drove through to explore the possibilities for future trips and were pleasantly surprised. This is a very pretty lake area with lots of land and allows for camping, fishing, hiking and get togethers both large and small. Great for a day trip or staying awhile. We will definitely be back and try the fishing. Look for the wildlife on your drive if you go in the morning or early evening.