“Convenient and friendly”

GreenLeadersBronze level
West Yellowstone
“Convenient and friendly”
Reviewed November 15, 2007

We were traveling down the coast and decided to try Arcata instead of Eureka, and we're glad we did. The price was right, the hotel was very dog friendly. The room was a little bit worn, but very clean. The fridge and microwave worked fine. The breakfast was good. The staff was very friendly and helpful, suggesting places to hike, bike and play with our dogs.
There is a shopping center across the street with a grocery store , pizza place, and chinese buffet, all very good.

• Liked — It was quiet and clean and well located.
  • Disliked — Wish they had yogurt at breakfast.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank patit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
fl
Reviewed September 21, 2007

my family stayed one night.9/7/07 friday. comfort inn had 2 queen beds. frig; all comforts; the clerk at office was very professional. our tv remote needed new batteries. promptly fixed. comfort inn was close to stores and restaurants which is good when you are tired from traveling;
will stay again; please see the red woods thet are lovely as a travel suggestion.

• Liked — very professional manner
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank boog1234
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We were refunded our stay from our B&B in the depressing, dead town of Ferndale, CA and headed toward Arcata. We stopped at this Platinum Award winner Comfort Inn. From the outside it looked like a typical motel, but we were warmly greeted and we checked into the largest hotel room we've ever stayed. Please do yourself a favor and pass up the towns of Ferndale and Eureka and head toward Arcata where there is actually human life! We ended up saving over $100 by staying here instead of the overpriced, under accommodated B&Bs of Ferndale.

Stayed July 2007
5 Thank floridaorbust
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 14, 2006

I learned on my trip that when I book w/ a AAA rate, I get the least exciting room in the building. My experience here was no exception. It was a basic room, no frills, rather clean, but not really feeling overly clean or comforting. I stayed at better Comfort Inns later in the trip (Weed and Red Bluff, CA). The breakfast buffet was mediocre - I think we took some coffee and hit the road. There is a tasty Mexican restaurant across the street.

• Stayed August 2006
5 Thank Iheartlance
Northern California
Reviewed August 10, 2006

I stay in Arcata about once a year, but has been two years this time since I was there last. Usually I stay at BW Arcata Inn and have had nothing but very good experiences there, however since it's been 2 yrs, I checked reviews and noted the BW was getting lowewr marks and the Comfort Inn here got super reviews, so maybe I expected too much, and set myself up for disappointment.

I didn't think this motel was anything special. I stayed 3 nights. I will say the rooms were spacious, and clean, and I did like the fact the rooms had a small fridge, and small microwave, but the fridge was loud turning on and off all night. The A/C fan was also very loud, and additionlly had an annoying clicking sound to it. The walls seemed to be good because I didn't hear any neighbors through the walls (except outside), and I did not hear water pipes when someone in another room flushed or showered. The tub shower was good and had plenty of pressure. So many other places are too low flow.

I had to flush the toilet twice too many times, and at checkout I heard another complaint about toilet problems. Also the TV remote did not work so I got another from the office and fresh batteries, Niether worked still, so had three nights without a remote for the 20 or more channels. Hard to surf that way.

I guess the breakfast was okay, but pretty limited, and very confined with very lttle seating, and lots of bumping people when trying to get your stuff. The breakfast lady was very friendly and accomodating though. Free newspapers also.

Another complaint is yes the pool was okay, but the hot tub was clear over at the far other end of the property, and was very tiny in a lit up little room. If more than two people were in it then knees would be clattering. Also would be impossible to even take a hot tub if your kids needed to be supervised in the pool since they were at opposite ends of the property. That made no sense. There was NO fitness room. I had read somewhere that there was here.

Anyway, I'm not bashing the place, but I just expected much more after all those five star reviews I read. Normally I don't stay at any place under three star ratings, and this was 2-1/2 per AAA. So based on that it was overall okay, and again it was clean (much important!). It was very adequate for a 2+ star property if you're used to staying below a 3. Otherwise it was very basic if you're used to 3+ properties. Hope this sheds some light.

• Liked — good location with nearby restaurants, stores, gas, beach, river
  • Disliked — Pool and hot tub way too far apart
  • Tips/Secrets — explained in review
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
9 Thank machete
Walnut Creek
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Very pleased with our recent stay at the Comfort Inn! The check-in people very friendly, the rooms were quite clean and spacious, with coffee makers, fridge/freezer, microwaves and amenties. Have stayed at much more expensive places that did not have the above. The place has a nice indoor pool that was much appreciated by my daughter. There is a generous continental breakfast that includes make your own waffles. We liked that breakfast ran till 10:00 a.m. for those who like to sleep in.

The housekeeping staff was very nice too and helped us after a problem with the do not disturb sign (our fault). RIght across the street is a grocery store, coffee place and a very decent chinese buffet eatery. My family and I would stay here in a heartbeat!

There are a lot of college kids and travellers here, but the place was quiet after 11:00 p.m.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank Janiele
Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2006

The Comfort Inn in Aracta was the nicest motel I stayed in on my 3 week trip to California. The staff was friendly and helpful and made me feel at home. The rooms were clean and quiet and an indoor pool. WOW I needed that after a long day in the car. A free newspaper, hot waffle for breakfast +++. A 5 star hotel at 3 star prices. Yes, I would definitely recommend the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank devotedsister
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area
Hotel Arcata
Hotel Arcata
#5 of 10 in Arcata
Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn

Been to Days Inn & Suites Arcata? Share your experiences!