“Unclean”

Super 8 Arcata
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
“Unclean”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Even by seedy motel standards, this place is a dump. The property is full of litter and our room, foul as it was, was not cleaned properly during our stay. The whole place stinks and as a smoker, I find that takes some doing. The only bright spot was the staff who were super helpful. The owner of the franchise needs to read these reviews.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed here for a night in July while visiting Trinidad and it was a great stay. The staff was friendly and they made sure that we were satisfied with our stay. The breakfast was decent. We got a good night's sleep and would return!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Penngirl29
Shasta Lake, California
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was about the only hotel that had rooms. The hallway was really dirty, they left the doors open to the outside parking lot so you felt unsafe and anybody could walk into the hotel hallways and they smelled like cigarette smoke. The blanket on the bed had what looked like blood on it so we asked for another blanket. They gave us a clean blanket that had a hole cut out and a cigarette burn whole in it. The good thing is that they had police patroling the parking lot frequently. The shower arm that holds the curtain was falling off and therefore leaked water all over the floor. The other people that were staying in the hotel were a little scary, they looked more like people who lived on the street. I've stayed at Super 8's in Montana before and they were clean and halfway updated, this one was just disgusting.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 131
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Randi D

Travelers are raving about these Arcata hotels

Germany
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I was in the middle of a 5 day trip up the coast. I booked this hotel due to the price (around $70) and the fact i wanted something a bit better than the bottom of the line Motel 6 types. What I found was dirty hallways, room and lobby. Ok the staff was very friendly and helpful but the owner should be ashamed of himself. The breakfast area IS THE LOBBY, about 8 by 10 feet with two small tables where over a hundred rooms are suppose to all get a light breakfast. What is worse is the majority of guests appeared to be street people, standing around, some with wine bottles. I was a bit concerned about leaving my car parked in the lot over night. Next door is a Mc Donald's drive thru which has a PA system which can be heard from the hotel. Wonder if this is a 24 hour drive thru. I'd pay $20 more and should have but in the past my stays at Super 8 hotels have been pleasant and I've been happy with what you got for the money.

Room Tip: Arcata is not far from Eureka, Arcata is home to the University so you'll find much more student...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank derkdiggler
Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

There was nothing awful about this hotel, but I probably would bot stay there again. There are other hotels in the same price range that are better quality. The rooms were in need of updating.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I stayed here because it allows dogs, and my very clean, very well trained therapy dog is with me. The first room they put me in reeked of cat pee. They must have had a male cat that sprayed everywhere, and they haven't cleaned it properly. (Or just ban the cats!) In our new room, I put down towels before I would let her lie on the floor because it's so dirty here. Carpets are filthy. Used, crumpled, dirty napkins & other old trash (old because covered in dust) stuffed between desk & wall. Obvious clumps of dark dust clumped onto the carpet in corners and near the beds. Grime on all surfaces. Phone completely coated with brown, greasy something or other. I sprayed everything with industrial strength cleaner & still tried not to touch anything. Chairs dark brown/black where dirty people have sat on the backs. I put towels on everything before sitting or touching. If I didn't have my sweet puppy with me, I would never have stayed. I saw the one maid at the trash can right by the back door, digging down into it with her bare arms to pull out bottles and cans to recycle. While I'm happy that she recycles, I'm concerned about the additional filth she got all over her arms & uniform in the process because that thing was full and like everything else in the hotel, covered with old, gross-looking grime. It's also where people have to throw their bags of dog poop. One bright spot is that the place does not smell like antiseptic or perfumes, and other than the cat--pee-smelling room, it doesn't smell like an old dirty hotel. I've stayed in a lot of Super 8's. They're usu basic, but clean & fine for driving trips. This one is absolutely horrible, and I doubt I would stay here for even one night passing through even if I didn't have my dog with me. Some of the other customers are also truly scary looking and horrible smelling--dirty, unkempt, smelly (like haven't showered for days) butt crack showing, stringy unwashed hair. I know the hotel isn't directly responsible for that, but it was one other thing that made this a horrible stay. The furniture is falling apart. Lamp shades have been violently torn/cut by people, and something horrible smeared onto them. Lamps covered in greasy-looking dust. Chair wobbles so badly it may break completely apart soon. Bed sagging, springs sprung, pillows thin & dirty (I brought my own).

Room Tip: If you still insist on staying here, check the room out before you bring all your luggage up. You m...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arisu M
richmand
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The staff was courteous and helpful.The facility is relatively old and the rooms are well appointed, noise level is not bad. The breakfast was ok grade for this kind of motel. In-room coffee was actually better than that in the breakfast room.There is not much seating in the breakfast room

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Days Inn & Suites Arcata
#5 of 10 in Arcata
Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
Town House Motel - Historic Old Town

Been to Super 8 Arcata? Share your experiences!