“NOT non-smoking”

Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Seattle
“NOT non-smoking”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

This is a standard Motel 6 - small rooms, and relatively clean. We had two connecting rooms, non-smoking, EXCEPT the bathroom in our room REEKED of cigarette smoke. I went through the connecting door and used the other bathroom when I could. We put no luggage or clothes in the bathroom, for fear of absorbing the smell. When told, the staff was unconcerned and unresponsive. There were no other connecting rooms available, so we could not move. Perhaps the Motel 6 in Eureka would have been a better choice.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank oboe60

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ukiah, California
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I stayed here this past weekend, and it was the scariest experience of my entire life! The first night I had to go to the office to request the staff deal with a ( what I assume was ) a mentally ill women laying in a parking spot and screaming that she had maggots coming out of her. Then a few hours later a man went down the corridor punching the windows out of 3 rooms, and he was arrrested. Then the couple above my room got into a fight in their room, and had to be removed. So needless to say I got about two hours of sleep that night. Then the next day we come back from attending the event we were in town for the next day, and walk into our room that reaks of pot! Apparently the room next to use was smoking pot and the odor was coming through the cracks in the closed adjoining door. The staff did nothing when I reported this! Also to be noted there was a man in his truck in the parking lot that was clearly dealing, and he was never asked to leave! I was truely scared for my child and my safety. Don't stay here!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank mvillines

Travelers are raving about these Arcata hotels

Medford, Oregon
Reviewed February 19, 2010

This is a nice place, the weed smell is a given, you're in HUMBOLDT COUNTY people, what would one expect otherwise. Didn't notice any prostitution going on, nor had my door knocked on at any time. The staff are very friendly people, and greet you when you come in the door. I'm going to using this place every week when I come down for work at Redwood National Park

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank TCII
BayArea
Reviewed December 21, 2009

The worst Motel6! I don't know why Motel6 chain store people from headuarter and their famous commercial poster boy Ken Burn do not take notice of this one of a kind notorious Motel6. I stay here once a month on my trip to Humboldt, but may be not any more, if U must stay at Motel6, you may instead choose the one in Ureka, about 15 min drive away.The problem appeared to start and get worse over time as took in homeless people on county pay roll. Smells of weed in nearly every room I've stayed, even in non-smoking ones, yelling door banging fighting prostitutes knocking every door at night frequent police visits \- all happening here, especially night time. Never answer the door, and lock your car and room safe and secure. Good luck!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
5 Thank JaneGood
windsor,ca
Reviewed September 7, 2009

This is the worst Motel 6 EVER !! We checked out a Wi-Fi room 1st and it smelled terrible, so we took a room that had no Wi-Fi. That room was terrible too, smelled bad and was dirty gross, worst of the worst. There were bums hanging around the parking lot. it was like skid row ! It's skanky and feels unsafe.
I would say 'stay away from this place !" . And it wasn't cheap we paid $80 on a Saturday night ! That is highway robbery for such a skank, gross place !!
I almost left and asked for a refund but it was late at night and we were just too tired to find another place. I was brought to tears it was so bad, but it was just too late to go hotel hunting on a Saturday night !
I was in the office at one point and the man in front of me was complaining of his 'non smoking room' smelling of smoke and wanted to change rooms, the staff told him they were sold out, so he asked for a refund and left to find another hotel. He had the right idea !
I do have to say the staff was pleasant.
This place is Bad ! Bad ! Bad news !! Stay away ! Keep looking !

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank alconnie
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed August 16, 2009

The room was okay, but there were some suspicious red stains in the bathroom. Rather expensive for a Motel 6.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hamburg
Reviewed July 29, 2009

This was the worst motel on our three week trip along the West Coast. Somehow it felt shabby.

I think they were homeless people in the back, I saw them walking over the parking lot.

Small room, no fridge. Ugly comforter. Laundry machine washed so poorly, the laundry came out as it got in. Dirty.

"Please dont" signs everywhere.

Sorry, but 59 plus tax is too much for what you get here.

Arcata has a cool liberal vibe. We did not feel it at the Motel 6. They need a major make over.

Will not return. Thx.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank alstergirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Days Inn & Suites Arcata
Hotel Arcata
Hotel Arcata
#5 of 10 in Arcata
Town House Motel - Historic Old Town

Been to Motel 6 Arcata - Humboldt University? Share your experiences!