“Worst hotel ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Fairwinds Motel

Fairwinds Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arcata
Fairwinds Motel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Auburn CA
“Worst hotel ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

This was the worst hotel experience I have ever had.
The rooms are moldy smelling and hot. The heater would not turn off. The manager's solution to this was to turn off the pilot light and offer to put a fan in the window.
The lights did not work. The bathroom was outdated and downright unclean.

Do not stay here under any circumstances.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mike F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Palmdale, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I had my daughter and niece with me and booked the hotel because it's in walking distance HSU. While checking in there were several ladies in the back room cursing up a storm. Totally unprofessional. I should have walked out, but I didn't. The room smelled grimy even though the window was cracked open. It was cold so we tried turning the heater on but it wouldn't work. The shower was disgusting and the comforters are really out dated. After 10 minutes I was not going to stay there. As I was walking out I looked back to make sure I had everything and saw two used condoms under the bed. GROSS!!!!!! Don't stay here....it's a rat hole.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 78traveler78
Southern Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We have stayed at the Fairwinds twice now, and have found it to be clean and comfortable: as in good beds, clean bathrooms, EXCELLENT shower, and a very kind and helpful staff. Yes, it is a bit run-down, but where it counts, things were sparkling and working well.
Since our vehicle broke down en route to Arcata, the part about walking distance to downtown is absolutely true; I also observed a number of local buses go by, so I could have used them as well if I had wanted. Several sweet cafes and restaurants, plus a nice grocery store are all within a couple of blocks. And, Al is a prince among concierges or managers, whatever you call that job; his kindness and easygoing nature made our stay more relaxed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank nadjacrowfeather
Santa Rosa, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Yes it has one of the best locations in town (with the exception of the Arcata Hotel which has THE best location) however it is gross. I stayed because I wanted to be able to walk to town and up to the school, but if you have a car go up to Giuntoli and stay in something that is modestly modern and not GROSS.
This place stinks, the beds spreads look like the have never been cleaned....just gross. If I were here with my wife and son you couldn't pay me to bring them into this rat hole.
nuff said.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Element1519
FairwindsManagement, Manager at Fairwinds Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
We are sorry that anyone feels the bedspread at our motel was gross, while we always try to keep the cleanliness of our bedding materials by regularly washing it. On the other hand, some people has tried to steal our bedding materials, including one around the time this review was made, and fortunately our staff/housekeeper noticed it and told the would be thief who looked like a hitchhiker type traveller to put the bedspread back. We always stand by our quality and try to keep it high, so if anyone found a problem with it, they could just the staff on duty to check it.
Encinitas, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

After reading reviews I never thought I would stay there. However it is walking distance to HSU so I decided to give it a whirl. I must say it was not bad. The room was clean, the front desk was helpful and I didn't encounter the noise I read about. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Bglad
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel is old but well maintained and quiet. The amenities are ok and there isn't really anything special offered, but the hotel is a good place to stay if you are visiting for a couple days and will be out of the hotel most of the time.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Joyride0011
Monrovia, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

This motel is nothing special. I booked here because I was dropping my daughter off at HSU and needed a place to spend the night. I just wanted a hotel within walking distance of HSU and inexpensive. The Fairwinds met those requirements. This hotel represents very basic hotel living. Older motel, clean but could use some paint and replacement linens. The room was quiet. The bed was comfortable. Walking distance to downtown Arcata. I got exactly what I expected - a motel room. Staff in the front office was friendly. They had coffee on. If I were touristing or staying for more than just one night, I wouldn't stay here. But it worked for me for the one night I was there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Marklaw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Hotel Arcata
Hotel Arcata
#5 of 10 in Arcata
Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area
Days Inn & Suites Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayshore Inn
BEST WESTERN PLUS Humboldt Bay Inn

Been to Fairwinds Motel? Share your experiences!