“Two advantages: Close to HSU and Inexpensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Fairwinds Motel

Fairwinds Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arcata
Fairwinds Motel
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Monrovia, California
“Two advantages: Close to HSU and Inexpensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

This motel is nothing special. I booked here because I was dropping my daughter off at HSU and needed a place to spend the night. I just wanted a hotel within walking distance of HSU and inexpensive. The Fairwinds met those requirements. This hotel represents very basic hotel living. Older motel, clean but could use some paint and replacement linens. The room was quiet. The bed was comfortable. Walking distance to downtown Arcata. I got exactly what I expected - a motel room. Staff in the front office was friendly. They had coffee on. If I were touristing or staying for more than just one night, I wouldn't stay here. But it worked for me for the one night I was there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Marklaw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Temecula, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2011

This is our second visit to Arcata this year, the first time in April we stayed at another place at the edge of the town where there are several motels and a shopping strip nearby for the preview at HSU. It was a nice stay then, but during the first stay we saw this little place right next to HSU that we didn't know before because it didn't show up on the online search that we used. We were a little hesitant when we saw the reviews about this place but decided to try anyway because of the strategic location, and it exceed our expectations in most aspects. The room is reasonably clean and cozy, the staff are cheerful and helpful and its right in town so we can just walk everywhere. Overall our stay was a delight and it will be our first choice the next time we come to visit our daughter.

Room Tip: The street in front of the motel is very busy during the day so close the windows if you are sensiti...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank jrlc66
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Walls make no difference- hear every noise, conversation, party. Nestled between 2 freeways - tons of traffic noise. Pot smoking in all upstairs rooms I walked by. Only room available in town or would move asap.

Clerk at desk was delightful - best part of stay.

• Stayed August 2011
Grass Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

Small and old, but clean. We were visiting Humboldt State and it is literally right next door so you don't have to park on campus! It is next to the freeway and noisy, but late at night it quiets down quite a bit. It has WiFi in the rooms and almost no outlets in the room--we had 3 total and none of them close to the desk for the computer.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank GVTraveller
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2010

We blew into the Fairwinds a week into a roadtrip from Seattle to Vegas. We didn't have a reservation anywhere in town so were delighted to find somewhere a 20 minute walk from downtown for c $80 per night.

Check in was fine - they were also accommodating about our wanting to stay an extra night which we announced when we should have checked out in the morning.

The room was old fashioned, reasonably clean and did the job. Shower was okay. No breakfast. We basically were sleeping here and spending the rest of our time in town, which was delightful. We'll be back to Arcata and we'd probably stay here again unless treating ourselves at the hotel on the town square.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
NBachers
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

Listen, if you're a Duke or a Duchess, then go someplace where they charge Duke and Duchess rates. Otherwise, if you're looking for a good location with reasonable prices, stay at the Fairwinds.

I booked online with a little apprehension, due to some of the unsatisfactory comments I'd read.

I enjoyed my stay there so much, I ended up staying for a third night.

If you're visiting Arcata or Humboldt State, the Fairwinds is right in the middle of everything. I can walk to Arcata Square in minutes, and I did so, many times. There's a walk-over that goes to campus over Highway 101- it's right at the Fairwinds parking lot! The 101 Northbound on-ramp is also directly in front of the Fairwinds parking lot.

Yes, the highway runs past the rear of the building. Don't want noise? There's a small bathroom window that opens onto the rear of the building. Just Shut the Window; then close the bathroom door. Sheesh- is that so hard?

My room was clean; there was a cheerful and efficient cleaning staff that made the rounds each day; the shower's got plenty of pressure; the proprietor is friendly; the heater works fine; my queen bed was comfortable; and I had all of Arcata and HSU within walking distance.

It's the only place I'll stay in Arcata from now on.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — I had to leave
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Blaine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2008

There was a 5% fee for using the online service to book reservations of which wasn't disclosed until we checked in. I was told by the manager that if I had called, I wouldn't have been charged the fee. I told him that his website does not indicate that detail, had I known there would be a fee I would have picked up the phone.......but in this day and age I book generally everything on the internet, welcome to the year 2008! He said he would take note of that bit of information but it would not help me and it didn't resolve my issue of that information not being disclosed to me. I was expecting the manager to reimburse me the 5% after bringing that information to his attention but I was offered nothing of the sort. I honestly felt ripped off, sick inside my gut, and almost uncomfortable afterwards. He tried to tell me that it wasn't a big difference only like 10 bucks extra a day.....but that's not the point. We work just as hard for that 10 bucks and in all fairness who is he thinking he is telling me that it’s basically not a big deal!
Everything was unplugged in our room, including the TV of which we had to move the very large credenza to plug in. The wall paper seemed to be bursting at the seams with what I can only imagine as mold hiding beneath it. My husband wore his sandals in the shower as it appeared to be stained and moldy and not updated since the 60's. I came home with spiders popping out of my luggage too, ugh!!! Granted the location to the University and downtown was great, but that would not supersede the other issues. They are trying to upgrade but I believe they have a long way to go. I would not recommend this motel, and the frustrating thing is I chose it because at the time it was rated #4 out of 9 on Trip Advisor. It needs to be downgraded to #9!

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Eiben
fairmotel, Manager at Fairwinds Motel, responded to this review, December 8, 2008
We are sorry that our customer feel that there's a hidden fees when booking through the internet. As a matter of fact, the booking fee was not hidden and already included in the total when customer made the reservation. We never charge more than what the customer has agreed to pay when they made the reservation (including the booking fee). To prevent this confusion in the future, we have worked with our internet reservation company and asked them to charge the booking fee directly on us and not when customer made the reservation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Hotel Arcata
Hotel Arcata
#5 of 10 in Arcata
Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area
Days Inn & Suites Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayshore Inn
BEST WESTERN PLUS Humboldt Bay Inn

Been to Fairwinds Motel? Share your experiences!