“Thank god a place to eat”
Review of Folie Douce

Folie Douce
Ranked #4 of 106 Restaurants in Arcata
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Folie Douce is a local, seasonal, organic California bistro serving dinners Tuesday-Sunday at 5:30. We embody true California cuisine by utilizing as much local, seasonal, and organic produce and meats as possible in dishes influenced by all ethnicities. Seasonally inspired, we have an ever changing menu while also maintaining some of our favorites year round. We highlight our local community by featuring local winemakers, farmers, and artists on a rotating quarterly basis.
Eureka, California, United States
“Thank god a place to eat”
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Delicious fare. Not mind blowing but solid. Atmosphere always good here. Very romantic without being stuffy. By far the best restaurant in humboldt county hands down. Make sure you ask for Tony. The chef seems to care. If you don't drink they have great wine grape juice.

• Visited May 2013
FolieDouce, Owner at Folie Douce, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for this feedback. We're so glad you enjoy our cuisine and intimate atmosphere. I appreciate you mentioning that our chef puts a lot of care into his dishes. We like to think of our place as a romantic escape from the hustle and bustle of the real world, so it sounds like we're doing something right! That being said, I'd love to know how we can really "wow" you. We're always looking to blow our guests away with our unique dishes, so if you have any more feedback for us, we're all ears!
Thanks also for mentioning Anthony, we are happy to have him on our team!

Arcata, California
“uneven food and service”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have enjoyed some fabulous meals here -- and also some less-than-enjoyable ones. Unpredictability and unevenness have been characteristics of this restaurant for many years. (I live nearby, so I keep trying.) When food is good, it is very very good, but when it is bad . . .
Sometimes quality varies among entrees served at same time to same table. In my experience, duck, beef, and salads are better bets than fish. Pizza is sometimes greasy. Service and atmosphere are generally pleasant. It is a small restaurant, so service can be slow. Also one table occupied by diners with loud, shrill voices can ruin ambiance for everyone else. I can recommend Folie Douce only to those willing to take a chance.

• Visited April 2013
FolieDouce, Owner at Folie Douce, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
We appreciate your honesty. While it's never fun to read so-so reviews, we welcome feedback of any kind— it lets us know what we're doing right and also what we can do better. I'm sorry you think our food and service can be a bit unpredictable. We're always aiming to 'wow' our guests every single meal, so I would continue to work with my staff on this.

When you say that our food quality varies, how so? Does it taste different to you every time? We have a constantly changing menu, so we work hard to keep our dishes fresh and unique. Any more feedback you have is much appreciated. I'm sorry you thought our pizza can be greasy at times. I will absolutely speak with my chef about this.

I have been researching on how to address the noise level concern as well. High ceilings and small spaces resonate sound and buffers of some sort are in design. Unfortunately, taking over a small business that I've worked in and loved for almost 20 years poses ever constant challenges with improvements ..all of the changes like these are taking longer than I'd expected. Please look forward to continuing upgrades in all of these respects. It's a delicate balance of maintaining all aspects and we strive to achieve this so we definitely appreciate this feedback. I do hope you will dine with us again soon. I know we can show you an even better (and consistent) experience overall!

Sacramento, California
“It's the BEST!”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I read some of these reviews before going. The decor was charming. The service, the best. The food AMAZING! There is absolutely nothing negative I can say about our experience there. I had the halibtt, as did several others in my party, and it was literally the best we've ever had. Something I never say as a rule. The Creme Brule was also wonderful. This was how dining out should always be and we will return often. The server was exceedingly well trained and the service was as good as it gets. There were no long waits either.

• Visited May 2013
FolieDouce, Owner at Folie Douce, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Wow. We are thrilled by this review. Thank you so much for this thoughtful feedback! From our attentive service to our fresh and flavorful dishes, you really captured the essence of our restaurant perfectly. Next time you are in town we look forward to seeing you
Eureka, California
“I have eaten here a few times when in Arcata town”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Mainly, don't be in a hurry, make a reservation, and enjoy a glass of wine and the lovely dinner salad or soup of the day for sure. From here, you just can't go wrong. Try Violet Green wine. Wild Caught fish in season has been perfect, the brick game hen with a sweet glaze was the best ever. Whatever this is in this photo looks amazing too. Not sure about the date; as I have been here a few different times. Good place to impress a friend, like Brick and Fire is in Eureka. Not inexpensive but portions are generous.

Visited February 2013
FolieDouce, Owner at Folie Douce, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you so much for this glowing review! I appreciate you saying that with our menu selection, you can't go wrong. Excellent choice with our brick game hen— that's one of my personal favorites! We like to think of ourselves as a relaxing escape from the hustle and bustle of the real world, and it sounds like we're doing our job. Next time you need a night out, we'd be happy to take care of you.

Cris, Owner
“Bad service, juvenile decor, food was decent.”
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We were one of three tables.
It took 20 minutes before we were asked for an order, and another half hour to receive our food.

We split a ground lamb pizza and the duck confit entree.

The pizza needed more spice, and was quite oily. 5.5 of 10.

The duck itself was a bit bland, but the root vegetables and sauce were delicious. 8 of 10.

Maybe place an order for food and then go see a movie.

I'll visit again, but only because I've heard of them doing better. Another visit like this and I wouldn't even think about giving them my money again.

1 Thank ManicMuncher
FolieDouce, Owner at Folie Douce, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
I really appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry you had to wait a while before you ordered. We try to pace our service just right — so that our diners have time to take in the relaxing environment and can enjoy their conversations. That being said, I will speak with my servers about being more attentive when guests are ready to order. While I'm glad you enjoyed the root vegetables and sauce, I'm sorry you thought the duck was a bit bland and the lamb pizza was underwhelming. I will speak with my chef about adding more spice and less oil. Our menu changes every week, and we're constantly adding new and fresh ingredients, so I hope you will give us another shot. I know we can show you a much better experience overall!

Warm regards,