Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Nice walking path

I love that the walking path has sitting areas off of the path. Enjoyed the information boards all... read more

Reviewed June 5, 2019
NJstylist
Honolulu, Hawaii
Nice walk

Lots of birds and flowers. Great place to take a leisurely stroll. It seems like the birds are... read more

Reviewed May 11, 2019
585janar
mckinleyville, United States
via mobile

All reviews bird watching easy walk leisurely stroll lovely walk great spot sea birds sewage treatment plant walking trails all kinds plenty of parking bay otters birders dogs binoculars path visitors
Selected filters
Reviewed April 3, 2019 via mobile

After driving up from Sacramento for a visit it was a great way to stretch our legs. The views of all the birds and water views are beautiful. Birds chirping and ftesh ocean breezes from over the bay. Also if you happen to have binoculars with you don't leave them in the car, you can sight some spectacular species of birds here as well as occasional otter.

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed March 17, 2019 via mobile

The Arcata Marsh is a perfect place to see many types of birds. Be sure to purchase the spiral bound book Common Birds of the Arcata Marsh and Wildlife Sanctuary at the visitors center. It lists the top 50 species by common and scientific names and has graphs indicating the seasonal variations. This way you will know when your best chance of seeing a specific bird will be. It denotes swimming, wading, perching and soaring birds so you know where to look for them. I keep it with me on my walks so I can identify most of the birds. I have used the book to help others identify and educate them about the birds they see. I have missed birds on my walks but stop to look more carefully when I see others exploring. Just go and enjoy. It is quite a treasure to have in our area.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed March 8, 2019 via mobile

We went for a walk on a few of these lovely trails - some even paved. We saw an egret, a variety of ducks and many song birds. The visitor centre staff were helpful and provided us with a map inside a brochure. They are restrooms in this centre which is close to the parking lot. This is close to central Arcata - 5 minute drive to the plaza square.

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed February 3, 2019 via mobile

This is a great spot for an easy walk. Good wildlife. Easy walk. Amazing to think that this space used to be a dump.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed October 1, 2018 via mobile

I only gave this 4 stars because of the water treatment plant. The smell is only in the area of the plant so at least you can pass it quickly. If you like to bird watch this is the place to go. We saw water fowl of all kinds, great blue herons, egrets, ducks, geese, etc.

Date of experience: September 2018