“Old Fashion Hospitality” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lady Anne

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arcata
The Lady Anne
Ranked #2 of 4 Arcata B&B and Inns
Central Valley, CA
“Old Fashion Hospitality”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2008

** It's a grand, old, yellow Victorian within walking distance of the Arcata Plaza and Humboldt State University. Though the building -- and by extension the room I stayed in -- deserve serious restoration and renovation, Greg and his wife, Raven, offer hospitality that is hard to come by these days.
** Greg and Raven made me feel at home and all of my travel needs were met with friendly care and genuine concern. Every morning (I stayed for 3 nights) Greg cooked up a generous, made-to-order breakfast based on the menu for the day. Guests dine in the lovely, formal dining room and have a chance to chat with one another and Greg too.
** I stayed in the Garden Suite on the ground floor. It has a small bedroom with a queen Tempurpedic mattress, funky bathroom (needs a re-do), and a large (separate) parlor with a day bed, dark wood, lots of books, and a TV with cable. I peeked at the rooms upstairs. A few seem to have undergone renovation and look very comfortable.
** The common rooms on the main floor are cool during the day and chilly at night -- it is an old house! -- but my room had a dedicated thermostat, so I was always comfortable once I made it down the hall and into my room.
** I would not call the Lady Anne a "luxury" B&B. Instead, it's more reflective of its physical location (Arcata and Humboldt County): casual, easy-going, friendly, down-to-earth... and a bit quirky.
** I would stay again.

• Liked — The hospitality and location
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Ilyria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2008

We love the Lady Anne! We stayed in a lovely room with an incredibly comfortable temperpedic mattress. While the b-n-b is a little cold in the winter, the gas heater in our room and the warm down comforter worked wonders. The innkeepers are fantastic, kind people who will go out of their way to make you feel at home. The inn is also walking distance from Crosswinds and Los Bagels (our favorite spots!). We definitely recommend stopping by the inn while you are in Arcata, especially as the spring and summer months approach.

Stayed January 2008
arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

The Lady Anne is a lovely old victorian house with nice gardens, gazebo and pleasant front porch (with rocker!). However, it is bit of a mixed bag as bed and breakfast inns go...the new innkeeper indicated he just took over in June and hopefully will be continuing to improve this beautiful old house.
The pluses: beautiful grounds, lovely old carved woodwork, nice period furnishings, well-equipped music parlour, large room with very comfy bed and bedding, vintage clawfoot tub in room, quiet and within walking distance to town square and restaurants, friendly, helpful innkeeper (but somewhat harried).
the minuses: room needed a through cleaning (cobwebs in corners, etc.), bathroom not same vintage as house with a portable, dirty shower, no soap or other toiletries in room, missing one bathrobe (that we were told was in the wash), breakfast offered only plain french toast and small fruit serving, more variety and creativity needed here.
This inn has a lot of potential and I hope the new innkeeper will keep trying to bring it up to that potential.

• Liked — old victorian atmosphere, front porch, helpful innkeeper, rates
  • Disliked — lack of cleanliness, bathroom, breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank buffymom
Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2007

We stayed at the Lady Anne for the second time in June and loved it even more than the first. The new innkeepers are working very hard to make a stay there a very special experience. They are warm, wonderful hosts and the Inn is full of charm. Of special note are the beautiful gardens all around the property. The room we stayed in was very spacious and comfortable and breakfast was great. We highly recommend the Lady Anne if you are passing through Arcata.

• Liked — The personal touch and the attention of the hosts
  • Disliked — That it is so far from my home
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PixelsMama
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2007

I was traveling to see the redwoods last week so I decided to stay in Arcata because the town is closer to the Redwood National Park than staying in Eureka (my second choice). I picked the Lady Anne Inn because it has a nice Victorian look to it and is owned by the former mayor.

I stayed in the Blue Room and it was extremely quiet during my stay, but I was the only guest so I can't really judge how it is when the inn is full. My room was decorated nicely and featured a lovely clawfoot bathtub right in the room, but the bathroom was a little worse for the wear and the room's rug could have used more vacuuming.

I'd give this inn a higher rating if it were slightly cleaner, served breakfast, and offered online reservations. But I spoke with the innkeeper who is taking over for the owners in a couple of weeks and I think things will improve under his care.

I have stayed at some really nice B&Bs (see my other reviews) that I like far better, but I think this is a decent choice if you are staying in Arcata.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Momo_on_vacation
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Hotel Arcata
Carter House Inns
Carter House Inns
#4 of 21 in Eureka
BEST WESTERN PLUS Humboldt Bay Inn

Been to The Lady Anne? Share your experiences!