$209
$93
$100
  • Pool
$135
Best Western Arcata Inn(Arcata)(Great Value!)
$133
$125
$66
$155
Hotels.com
$93
All reviewsclaw foot tubgreat location rightmodern amenitiesmain plazaparking permitbeautiful plazafarmers marketcentral locationper nightking suitewould stay againfront desk clerkstaff was friendlystudentshsupet
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Location, location, location. The hotel is right on the plaza in "downtown" Arcata, where you can walk around on 2nd Fridays (with all of the shops open late, serving appetizers and hot cider), walk to several restaurants and several bars. The plaza is cute and hasn't changed much since the 1920s, and now boasts a nice farmer's market on Saturday mornings.

My wife and I stayed in a queen-bed room for $95/night ($75/government rate). The room was clean, with old quaint old hotel amenities like a clawfoot tub (and good water pressure), and the windows open. Old black and white photographs of the town and area from a century ago grace the hallways, adding character. Free wifi is available in the rooms. The nights outside were cool, but the temperature in the room was comfortable.

The downsides: the bed was only moderately comfortable, the room lighting was dim, the bars and plaza attracted drunk HSU students to make noise until midnight and the walls are somewhat thin. A free "continental breakfast" consists of a little bar by the check-in desk with a basket of muffins, bananas & apples, and coffee. If you need things like hair dryers, ironing boards or are a light sleeper, look elsewhere.

In summary, it's got some flaws, but I would recommend it just because of it's great location and it's nice to see a hotel with local character as alternative to the chains. Most other hotels (esp. the chains) are out on the highway, outside of the main town.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 21, 2006

We decided to stay at the Hotel Arcata in downtown Arcata since it sounded quaint. It was the worst night sleep we ever had. Checking in, we overlooked the smelly carpet, and ancient (not in a nice way) room. We had a suite with a king bed in one room and a sleeper in the other. It was supposed to be one of the nicer rooms! Well around 10 pm the blasting music from the bars on the street started. I mean our room was vibrating. The walls and the floor. Not to mention half of the people out of the bars and on the street since they need to smoke and can't do it inside. So the party was outside! And we were on the 4th floor! There is no air, so you need to open the windows. OK so we thought we could stand the heat more than the noise and closed the windows. It did not help at all. The windows were junk. They then vibrated. Around midnight my husband tried calling the front desk (open 24 hours supposedly). They didn't answer. He had to get dressed, went downstairs and the desk person was outside. She said, Oh yeah, all we can do is call the police. She said sometimes the rooms are unbearable from the vibrating so she handed my husband two pair of foam ear plugs. That is their solution. She said it wouldn't stop until after the bars close at 2am. The next morning my husband was really complaining at checkout. That woman insisted they always tell guests that on Friday or Saturday nights the front of the hotel is the "liveliest". I told her we were not warned at checkin, or the two times I called for price information and to book the room. She said they always do. I told her we would never book a room that we could not sleep in. She just shook her head and handed us an envelope already addressed to the city council. She said we should complain to them. I told her she is renting the rooms, and it is the establishments job to ensure comfort. It is not our job to campaign on their behalf. She would not take any responsibility. DO NOT STAY THERE! Believe me, we have stayed all over the world and this hotel is at the top of the list to never return to.

4  Thank mlading
Reviewed June 27, 2006

Renovated period hotel. Rooms somewhat drab. Comfortable beds. Clawfoot tubs. Extra soft towels. Friendly service. Ask for a blow dryer. Not kept in the room. Sits on the town square where they have a farmer's market and music on Saturday. Next to noisy taverns that keep up people nightly who have the front rooms. Popular Japanese restaurant within.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank September19
A TripAdvisor Member
Oakland, ca
Reviewed June 14, 2006

The following statements are factual, witnessed by the two patrons mentioned.

My Girlfriend and I were in town for business and pleasure, the pleasure did not include the hotel Arcata. Be warned; there are two bars down stairs, next door -they pumped the music til 1:30 am. The sidewalk out front was packed with college age students, I witnessed drunken behavior; there were a few cops for the 50+ partiers.
We were so relieved when the music stopped what we were not prepared for was that the partiers rented almost every room on our floor! So from 2am to 6am: doors opening and closing every few minutes, knocking on doors, loud laughing, yelling, screaming, smoking, basically a group of drunk college age kids brought the party into the hotel. we spoke to the front desk at 1am, 2:30 am and 3 am. We were told the partying would stop or the partiers would be ejected; neither happened.

If this happens to you : leave then you can dispute your credit card bill, we stayed and suffered and our cc company would not fight it because we didn't run out to find another hotel at 3 am.
I understand the lone desk person could do very little to stop the partying. The thing is, when we booked the room I think they might have known that there were bars downstairs and that there was some type of event going on that was going to lead to all night noise; they don't seem to care about this. I know we are not the only ones this has happened to.

The building is historical, read old. It's all wood and no insulation so it's noisy anytime, just compounded during holidays or whatever occasions, also, drunk people are LOUD, they don't realize this because they are inebriated and they cannot be reasoned with. If you chance it do your homework on this stuff. I do not reccomend staying here especially if you are looking for relaxation.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 11, 2006

...or pleasant surroundings, or room to walk around your room, or a feeling of being someplace other than a CELL! The rooms are under-lit, poorly heated, the sink is in the middle of the room, and there are zero amenities to sell it. For the price, go to one of the motor lodges and get a good night's sleep.

What a disappointment! The only positive was that we were within walking distance to the university. We did have to move our car to a side street in the morning, since the vaunted parking pass did not cover parking on the plaza after 10:00am.

Otherwise, our two-bed room was clean enough, but, the hotel is incredibly noisy, with paper-thin walls, and our room was on the second floor was right over a street corner where the traffic was stopping and starting from the stop sign until very late at night and started up again very early in the morining. Hey, I'm no princess, I live near the freeway at my home.

To make things worse, our upstairs neighbor/guests got into their room around 9:00 and started making the most incredible racket. I swore that there was a banquet room above us, and they were putting the tables and chairs away. After close to an hour, I called the desk and they said that they would "check it out". It quieted down for about 10 minutes. And people in the hall had no respect for people in the rooms, as the doors all have space under them and no soundproofing. We did not enjoy the hallway conversations and kids running around after 10:00 PM when we had an early appointment. When the partying started up again upstairs, (and it was a multiple male participant party - there was actually pounding on the walls!) we broke out the earplugs and settled for about 3 hours sleep.

The next day, we found another hotel, paid for an unused night at our cell, happily, and checked out. I have to say that the reviews that I read on this site did not prepare me for my experience. I can't imagine how anyone could have given this gloomy, depressing, chilly, (a little heat in the morning would be nice - the whole place is controlled by one central steam radiator system - it only ran for a few hours in the evening and we froze in the morning) more than two stars, and that is being generous.

• Stayed: April 2006