“Very nice charming and clean hotel. Really nice experience please read!”
Review of Hotel Arcata

and 1 more site!
Hotel Arcata
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I went July 3rd, with my 6yr old son and my girlfriend. We live next to San Francisco and read all the reviews before booking. I have to say that I dont understand any ANY of the negative reviews unless some people are expecting a 5 star Hyatt type of hotel. This hotel is very lovely, charming, historic, well cared for. The staff is attentive. (No we didnt try to get them to carry our bags -(---) people, you dont carry your own bags?) But I would change nothing about this hotel. We did ask fora quieter room if possible and it was facing the back and was very quiet. We went to bed early and slept soundly. And this was on a Friday before the 4th of July! I dont write reviews but feel compelled to. This hotel is exceptional and perfect for anyone looking for a lovely, clean, affordable hotel. And the wonderful old charm is on top of that. The location is incredible also. Yes there are young and old people of all kinds outside on the square (including "homeless") but in Northern California you should be used to it. And I paid no attention to them and so they didnt hassle us. I've stayed in NY, SF, L.A., Paris, London, Mexico - this place is very good. Its difference is that it is an older building. Which is fantastic!!! I cant give this a high enough rating. And it was only $100!!!! Friday night, with a Queen and Twin bed for two adults and a child. Also the parking situation is fine if you can read signs "2hr parking from 9am to 6pm" It is ON the town square, so overnight parking no problem, you ned to have it moved by 11am the next day. And you can then find another 2hr parking nearby. Or all day parking a few blocks away. Parking is plentiful.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank NorthCalTraveler
There are newer reviews for Hotel Arcata

Reviewed April 17, 2009

Hotel Arcata is located on the town square of Arcata. We are in town for the Humboldt State University Spring Preview events. Location is good for visiting the university. Unfortunately Arcata has a large and very visible population of young homeless. I am not generally uncomfortable around the homeless but this crowd is a little too large and a little too active for my comfort. It is unfortunate that their primary gathering area is right in front of the hotel. The hotel is old but has been renovated and has the turn of the century ambiance as you first enter. There is a popular Japanese restaurant downstairs which was packed when we arrived. The only downside is that the halls of the hotel smell of fish. There was no one to assist us with our baggage but they did have luggage carts and an elevator for us to use making it very convenient to get our luggage from the car out front to the room. The hotel does not have any parking of it's own but contracts with the city to use street and city lots within one or two blocks of the hotel. So, once the luggage is unloaded you have to move your car to another location. The room we were in was the last one available on this very busy weekend so I was not surprised that it had no view. The bathroom had an old vintage freestanding claw footed tub with a shower curtain on a full surround rod. The vintage plumbing was in good working order and there was plenty of hot water for our showers. I did have to go downstairs to the lobby to get a blow dryer since there was none in the room. The TV had lots of channels and there was a channel guide in a binder so no problems there. The bed I was in was hard and lumpy and I woke up feeling pretty sore in the morning since I like a soft bed. The pillows were good quality though and not too flat, a problem I've had elsewhere. The only other issue I would mention is that we could hear the music from the bar next door when we went to bed - I doubt that would be a problem in any of the other rooms since our room was immediately adjacent to the bar. Ear plugs, a must for any light sleeper, took care of the problem.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Anewstart
Reviewed March 26, 2009

The Hotel Arcata is a conveniently located (right on the center square), affordable hotel in a historic building that retains much of its period charm (loved those carpeted large stairs). The lobby was comfortable, the people friendly, the room was airy (large unscreened windows) and the shower head felt like I was bathing under a waterfall...ahhh. Thanks for the opportunity to enjoy your lovely hotel. We plan on returning!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank claystreet
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I recently attended a training at Humboldt State University and chose to stay at the Hotel Arcata because of the proximity to the University. Humboldt County is a very unique place and the Hotel Arcata epitomizes the spirit of the town. The location on the town square makes shoping and dining very convenient, but also lend it to quite a bit of noise from the revelers and from the garbage trucks and street sweepers early in the morning. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the people of Arcata in general were all very welcoming and nice. There are quite a few "houseless" that hang out on the town square and do not be shocked to witness quite a few partaking in Humboldt County's Finest.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank TX-B_B
Reviewed December 7, 2008

We picked the Arcata on the base of our travel guide (who will also get this review) and its central location. The receptionist was friendly enough to inform us that the last room available was on the second floor on the back and suffers from noise from the bar next door. Because of its central location, we decided to rough it out. But it wasn't the street noise that bothered us. The neighbours were noisy on every side, people were shouting in the halls and knocking on doors, plus there were ants in the room. Walking around the square outside wasn't exactly a relaxing experience either, we felt quite unsafe. We stayed one night and then went to the Arcata Days Inn, which was a joy to stay. No value for money at the Arcata Hotel, you'll wake up tired there.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed November 11, 2008

This was a cheap night's stay, so I wasn't expecting too much, but it was pretty basic. The room was OK, but dark, and the bathroom needed work. The reception was very medicore, no help was offered with bags and we had to ask how to get to our room!

There are very, very few facilities in this hotel, no bar and the japanese restaurant attached to the hotel seems to be the only option for dining. There are lots of very nice eateries around the square where the hotel is, so there are plenty of options for dinner.

Breakfast is served in the reception area and is coffee and muffins etc, with nowhere really to eat it.

The worst thing is the parking, which is so complicted they have to give you a laminated fact sheet to explain where you can and can't park, and we were lucky to get a space.

I woudn't go back.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frogwell
Reviewed November 2, 2008

$170.00 ? The rooms are dirty, smell bad, and have ants. There are so many bums outside that it smells outside, and you can't walk three feet without someone trying to bum money off of you. The manager is a very rude and mean lady who will make sure you have a very bad stay. Seriously the worst time ever ! Ruined my whole trip.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Days Inn & Suites Arcata
#8 of 10 in Arcata
Red Lion Hotel Eureka
Red Lion Hotel Eureka
#5 of 21 in Eureka

Been to Hotel Arcata? Share your experiences!