“Clean, Old, Good Location”
Review of Hotel Arcata

and 1 more site!
Hotel Arcata
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Santa Monica, California
“Clean, Old, Good Location”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

You sort of get what you pay for at this hotel - for under $100 per night, the room was, although very old, clean. It has a nice historic charm to it, with clawfoot tub/shower and copper piping. We knew it would be loud - it is right in the square and next to several bars. knowing this, I asked the guy at the front desk for earplugs and he was very friendly and and gave me a few. If you want to be right in the center without having to use your car, this place works just fine.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the main square - we had one facing a side street and the noise wasn't...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jsipe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Sebastopol, California
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Clean, small friendly is the best way to capture my experience at this hotel. Yes, some parts are old and can use an upgrade (like the elevator carpet) but for some reason it seems right to give this hotel a pass. The place smell like a Sushi place (yes it does have a Sushi restaurant on the first floor) and this can bother some people, I love Sushi so it made it feel homey.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Me & my guy recently went on a road trip and our first night was spent at the Hotel Arcata. We didn't have a reservation, but had no trouble getting a room. The lady at the front desk was very nice & we went for a room with a view & it had a separate living room. This seems to be the only hotel right in the center of town, which is nice. We walked to Humbolt Brews & had beers & food, which was delish. There are 2 or 3 bars right next door to the hotel & it was quite loud at night (although I live in city & can handle noise at night). The only thing I really didn't like was the shower - it was tiny! My guy is big & hated the shower. This is going to sound crazy, but the water pressure was just too much in the shower....like it was pounding me! I never thought I would complain about too hard of water pressure, but I swear the shower wanted to kill me. There was muffins & coffee in the morning in the lobby, but we opted to go to the coffee shop next door. I would stay here again. I would definitely spring for the view room, even if it is noisier.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Wadhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I enjoyed my stay here. My room was large, clean and very comfortable. The bathroom had a rooftop bath and brass shower, which worked really well. The staff was helpful, and the hotel well kept. The room was a little noisy, but it's a noisy location, and I still slept very well. Arcata is an odd place, nice to look at but with a lot of bars opening onto the central square opposite the hotel (the town needs to sort that out!). It's a little unnerving when you arrive seeing lots of drinkers smoking in the same street s the hotel, but I felt safe. I would recommend it, especially if you prefer staying in interesting places (rather than bland chains) and I thought the price reasonable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank wadhurster
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I love historic hotels, but not for the chintzy antiques or 5-star Victorian haughtiness that seems to come with hotels with character. This hotel has neither. Yes, there are quite a few transients in the plaza and around 11pm there can be unsavory sounds from the bar next door- but the interior of the hotel has an upscale feel, the characters (both staff and guests) have actual character and the room itself was nicer than any we've stayed at along the Northern Coast. You don't come here expecting a hotel chain, sanitary-but-too-generic experience. You come here for the claw-foot bathtub and tiled entry. You stay here because it is truly located in the heart of the city- a city whose heart actually still beats.
Great place- far exceeded both expectations and the amount of time we had originally budgeted.

Room Tip: Second floor with windows facing off side street off plaza was quite and comfortable
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Heather R
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Every time I find myself in Arcata, I always stay here. The staff is friendly, the hotel is located right in the town square, it's really convenient if you're looking to go out and explore the cute town. The sushi restaurant located in the hotel is really delicious! Love this place!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Brittany A
San Clemente, California
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Set in the charming, historic town of Arcata in Northern California, the hotel is a bit rustic but still a very nice place to stay and right across from the downtown in the center of the city. Be sure to spend some time walking around this cute little town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Karen K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
Days Inn & Suites Arcata
Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area
Best Western Plus Bayshore Inn
Best Western Plus Humboldt Bay Inn
Carter House Inns
Carter House Inns
#4 of 21 in Eureka

Been to Hotel Arcata? Share your experiences!