“Loved it!”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Oxford, UK
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2011

Great, atmospheric hotel in the centre of Arcata. Bed a little on the small side compared to all the other US beds we'd slept in but more than made up for by the authenticity of the room and hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the square are good
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suegalway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

First I will say that we had a room reserved but did not check in until 10:30pm so maybe we got shafted because if that.

The rooms are certainly old school but it you can overlook a claw bath tub sitting on vinyl floor and it smelling like ocean water.

The whole room smells musty but you can smell the skunkweed all over the halls on the way to the room.

Everything looks clean enough and have not seen ants like other people.

But the deal breaker is that any rooms on the left side share an adjacent was with a night club. This includes the suite room 203 and my room 326. So you basically thump until 2am when they shut the place. Don't worry though. The reception guy has been well trained to tell you that he is calling the police to have them quiet down. I wanted to ask if I looked stupid at his comment but wished him good Luck that instead.

It is 1am and they are still banging on the walls so I will be leaving tomorrow with $99 less money, sleep deprevation, and a headache.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Mhoz

Travelers are raving about these Arcata hotels

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

This hotel is perfect for the college town of Arcata. We could not have asked for a better stay for a room we paid less than $100 for. This old hotel has a great deal of charm and character. The room was large and clean. The bed was very comfortable. It is located smack dab in the middle of town. Upon arrival we immediately met some nice guys staying on our floor and became friends. Everyone is just so friendly and welcoming. We were in Arcata to see a concert and check out HSU. This was the ideal hotel to do both. Centrally located, we could walk to Arcata Theater for the show and then HSU for a campus tour the next day. The town is very cute too with some great eateries.

The staff were extremely accommodating as well. We had reserved the room for two nights but decided to stay only one as we wanted to continue our trip and see more of Northern California. Most places would penalize early check out, but the staff here were so gracious. They allowed us to check out a day early with no penalty or problem. I wish every hotel we stayed at was this nice. Such great vibes. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

I try to be open and available to different cultures, but this tested our limits. Our intent was to stay 2 days and we paid upfront. Minutes after entering the room, I knew we were in for a bad night. Luckily they did refund us for the second night and we continued our trip down the coast the next morning. The room does fit the "old charming" feel, but it goes beyond that into down right seedy. It is centrally located, yes. The area seems to have vagrants standing around 24/7 and it is noisy all night. It's a college town, I get it. Not for me at this point in my life.
Everything was unplugged in our room on entry, so we plugged in the radiator to get some heat in the room. After about 5 minutes, I could hear the wall sizzling so I unplugged the heater only to get a 3rd degree burn on my hand. If I had left that plugged in, a fire would have been certain.
The mattress was a flat wafer like spring that bowed into a valley. Thank god I love my wife. Linens were filthy. The idea of lice and bed bugs was always on our minds. I didn't check to confirm or deny, but you get the picture I am painting.

Don't Do It!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank banditgrant
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

Stayed one night on a weekend and had a very nice stay.....rooms are small but clean and the clubfoot tub surprisingly has an upgraded awesome shower head. I would recommend reserving the rooms furthest from the bars, as the bar patrons are quite noisy at late hours.........but this is, afterall, is a college town.

Quaint little shops and eateries around the square - would definitely recommend a trip to Patrick's Point, weather permitting. Fortunately, we had spectacular weather in February.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Redding, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is a historic hotel, built in 1915 however not much in the hotel has changed since 1915, bathroom fixtures are old, floors all squeek, walls and windows are thin, and the mattress was old and sagging in the middle, but everything was clean!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Oakland CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

I have stayed in many varieties of rooms in this hotel, most always with good results. The Hotel is on the Main Plaza of Arcata and the night-time bar scene on weekends can be a bit noisey . This past stay was in one of the plaza suites, a very pleasant an affordable treat. Arcata is one of those towns that seems to preserve a by-gone spirit of Bohemian/Hippy/New-Age whatever --- I like the friendliness and out-going spirit of most people that I meet there. The Hotel is a pleasantly restored landmark that I resort to when I am just fed up with the increasing Bay Area crush. There are great events for birders, foodies, art enthusiasts (Pastels on the Plaza, my favorite), and kinetic sculpture afficianados. Arcata is a university town near Eureka, also an interesting browsing town, and on the ocean coast.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank badEXPEDIA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayshore Inn
BEST WESTERN PLUS Humboldt Bay Inn
Days Inn & Suites Arcata
Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area
Carter House Inns
Carter House Inns
#4 of 21 in Eureka

Been to Hotel Arcata? Share your experiences!