“Vile, Filthy, Seedy, read this review!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Arcata

and 1 more site!
Hotel Arcata
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Arcata
Vancouver, Washington
“Vile, Filthy, Seedy, read this review!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

I try to be open and available to different cultures, but this tested our limits. Our intent was to stay 2 days and we paid upfront. Minutes after entering the room, I knew we were in for a bad night. Luckily they did refund us for the second night and we continued our trip down the coast the next morning. The room does fit the "old charming" feel, but it goes beyond that into down right seedy. It is centrally located, yes. The area seems to have vagrants standing around 24/7 and it is noisy all night. It's a college town, I get it. Not for me at this point in my life.
Everything was unplugged in our room on entry, so we plugged in the radiator to get some heat in the room. After about 5 minutes, I could hear the wall sizzling so I unplugged the heater only to get a 3rd degree burn on my hand. If I had left that plugged in, a fire would have been certain.
The mattress was a flat wafer like spring that bowed into a valley. Thank god I love my wife. Linens were filthy. The idea of lice and bed bugs was always on our minds. I didn't check to confirm or deny, but you get the picture I am painting.

Don't Do It!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank banditgrant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

Stayed one night on a weekend and had a very nice stay.....rooms are small but clean and the clubfoot tub surprisingly has an upgraded awesome shower head. I would recommend reserving the rooms furthest from the bars, as the bar patrons are quite noisy at late hours.........but this is, afterall, is a college town.

Quaint little shops and eateries around the square - would definitely recommend a trip to Patrick's Point, weather permitting. Fortunately, we had spectacular weather in February.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Redding, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is a historic hotel, built in 1915 however not much in the hotel has changed since 1915, bathroom fixtures are old, floors all squeek, walls and windows are thin, and the mattress was old and sagging in the middle, but everything was clean!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Arcata hotels

Oakland CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2010

I have stayed in many varieties of rooms in this hotel, most always with good results. The Hotel is on the Main Plaza of Arcata and the night-time bar scene on weekends can be a bit noisey . This past stay was in one of the plaza suites, a very pleasant an affordable treat. Arcata is one of those towns that seems to preserve a by-gone spirit of Bohemian/Hippy/New-Age whatever --- I like the friendliness and out-going spirit of most people that I meet there. The Hotel is a pleasantly restored landmark that I resort to when I am just fed up with the increasing Bay Area crush. There are great events for birders, foodies, art enthusiasts (Pastels on the Plaza, my favorite), and kinetic sculpture afficianados. Arcata is a university town near Eureka, also an interesting browsing town, and on the ocean coast.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank badEXPEDIA
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2010

We stayed at Hotel Arcata while in town for my husband's 50th class reunion. This hotel has had a varied history and I was curious to see how they had managed to clean it up and make it usable. This is a very old hotel; the rooms reflect this even though they have been refurbished. We had ants in the bathroom after the first day; happened to be North Country Fair weekend, so that was a real plus. What fun!! Parking is not convenient but only a couple of blocks away; it is noisy, but our room was on the corner overlooking the street, so maybe other rooms aren't so noisy; coffee in room was HORRIBLE!! Ditto the socalled "limited continental breakfast", but there are many good & fun restaurants around the plaza. String of bars next to the hotel with smokers hanging out in front, yuck. Lighting was very poor in our room, had to borrow a lamp from front desk in order to read at night. Overall, this is an old hotel with all attendant problems & quirks. Won't stay there again now that my curiosity is satisfied; I prefer cleanliness to funkiness.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank connilm
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

We went to Humboldt County for a family wedding. I am so glad we chose Hotel Arcata. I cannot believe those other chain hotels are rated above it. This is a great place. We were able to take all of our dogs and they loved it too. The place is full of charector. Has a great Lobby and very nice staff. The claw foot tubs with the showers are fantastic. We had inside suites and they were very quiet. There are some transient types hanging around the square but they did not bother us. I walked to the store at night by myself with no problems. There was a really nice farmers market on the square on Sat. Morning. The room we had was not pristine nor fancy but it was very comfortable and a very fair price. My husband and I are in our early 50's and we have traveled a bit. We both loved this place as we prefer charm over chain and being able to walk to all of the restaurants, shops and cafes and the redwoods and beaches are a very short drive. Also even though I love dogs I don't like a place to smell doggy. It didn't at all. If you do not have dogs - don't worry - you will see some coming and going but otherwise I do not think you will notice. Any how we really loved this place and would stay again if in that area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Akron,Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

Wow, where to begin. My wife and I went to visit our daughter and to attend the oyster fest. We had a three night reservation. The hotel sits right on the town square and over looks the grounds. The hotel is old. We hda a suite; a bed room, sitting room, and two bathrooms. A corner room. It got a bit loud at times early in the morning, with street cleaners, trucks, people, but I don't think I would have wanted to stay anywhere else. Being right on the square, it is a short walk to great coffee, bagles, breakfast, dinner, drinks,etc. There is also a sushi rest. downstairs. The location is perfect. The place is old, but it fit right into the trip. The oyster fest was a step back in time. Just watching the people was like being back at Woodstock. Really. There are quite a few homeless hanging around, but we never felt uneasy. It all was part of the Northern Calif. story. What a unique section of the counrty. Redwoods, the Coast, great food, and the Hotel Arcata. Would I do it again? In a heart beat!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcata
Hampton Inn and Suites Arcata, CA
BEST WESTERN PLUS Bayshore Inn
BEST WESTERN PLUS Humboldt Bay Inn
Days Inn & Suites Arcata
Comfort Inn Arcata - Humboldt Area
Carter House Inns
Carter House Inns
#4 of 21 in Eureka

Been to Hotel Arcata? Share your experiences!