“Porridge that is still cooking in the kitchen”

Arcadia Garden Cafe
Ranked #28 of 252 Restaurants in Arcadia
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed May 28, 2014

If there is a tour bus parked outside the restaurant parking lot, it's a major telltale sign that -- 1) the wait is going to be long, 2) the kitchen is going to miss your order, and 3) the cashier is going to make mistake.

We made our maiden trip there and were told the wait is 15 minutes. "Okay, this is bearable. May be the tourists were about done", I thought to myself.

We were seated after about 20 minutes. After about 10 minutes, we hailed down a busy waitress who took our order. The wait went on for about 10 more minutes and the soup came. Even though it was starchy, I slurped it down like a hungry wolf. After a while, the first entree arrived. After licking the plate clean, our eyes wonder around looking for our second entree--fish and chicken porridge.

After managing to make eye contact with the waitress, she apologetically explained to us that the group of tourists is slowing the kitchen down. "Understandable, but could you please check on our order?" I asked meekly.

Another 10 minutes went by, the waitress immediately went to check on our order when she noticed the grimace on my face started showing. Another seemed like forever moment passed, we decided to walk up to the cashier and pay.

The hot tea costs us an extra dollar. But we didn't notice; signed the check, provide a small tip and quickly drove to a nearby bakery for the second serving.

I would go back for their porridge. But if there is a tour bus parked outside, I will opt for another place to save the aggravation and starvation.

1  Thank Ann_Gable

Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Foods are ok; yet, materials are not very fresh. Also, slow serving is not worthy of your waiting. I had been waiting for over 45 minutes just for the first dish to be served in my last visit of this place. Do'nt like their waiters' porker faces either. Overall nothing can be recommended there.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Need not to say more, this place is always on point, and won't disappoint. Chinese comfort food or Western style stuff. Forget those other old folks' diners on Baldwin Ave. like Carrow's, Marie Calendar's or Coco's, just go here.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I tried to go to Din Tai Fung Dumpling House (just down the street at 1088--remember 88's are lucky numbers!) but I couldn't get in for at least an hour. So I tried Arcadia Garden Cafe instead. Crowded, but not terribly so. Service, typically not so great at this (like many) Chinese restaurants. Food was darn good though. I had a deliciously fried pork chop with a mushroom sauce and congee (rice porridge) of perfect consistency with chicken and mushroom. Portions are very large, so beware! Also, while others seem to like the sweetened lemon ice tea, it was just meh. I need to try the dumpling house to see if it is any better, but until then, this is my go-to place.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Ive ate here since I was a kid they offer many varietys and I could literally eat here for weeks and wouldn't be tired.
I goto CA a few tiems a year for family and business, we love to eat here. We go literally everytime and get the set meal courses they have there. Its very traditional canton food yet at a convenient location in china town

Been to Arcadia Garden Cafe? Share your experiences!