“probably not again”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Arcadia
san diego
“probably not again”
Reviewed July 26, 2006

Arrived at the hotel on Saturday, checked in, received a decent very large room. Turned on the air conditioner (temp outside was 111 degrees) AC didn't seem to be cooling fast enough so we decided to open shutters and windows. Well ,surprise one window pane was completely broke out. Called front desk and maintenance arrived and questioned us like we broke the window, same thing with housekeeping. convinced front desk to give another room. Decided to go straight to dinner, should have checked the room first. After dinner, went to the room and it was terrible. Burned carpet, floor felt like it was falling in (upstairs), but get this..the "neighbor was a monthly, so the joint balconey was their garage, junk everywhere, litter around building, in landscaping and on steps. Called front desk and received another room, went there, it was large and needed updating, but decent. Went to sleep woke up and no electricity, I was about to loose it, but it was the power company's problem due to the excessive heat of the weekend. After we settled in, everything was okay. I am noticing that many hotels, even the chains are renting a large amount of rooms on a weekly/monthly basis to families. Not really a good thing for us shorttimers.

• Liked — location to event, room size
  • Disliked — outdated rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — believe the reviews
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank playaplse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I had contracted the Inn and the party planner associated with it to host a 25th wedding anniversary party for my parents. I had never planned anything of the sort before, so I was very nervous about how the party would turn out. Also, I was horrified to read the reviews preceding this one, outlining the atrocities of the Inn and the parties it hosts! Suffice to say, I was uncomfortable about the situation, giving what I had read. The day of the party came, and everything went absolutely beautifully. The room was decorated elegantly and exactly as I had wanted. The catering and service staff were incredibly helpful and nice. The food was simple, but very tasty! Certainly some of the best-tasting catered food I've sampled. All the guests were impressed, and I had to do near nothing to prepare. The only snafu I had was in dealing with the DJ; he didn't have some songs I had particularly requested, but when the planner heard about this, a worker was sent out to buy CDs with the music I wanted! I cannot say enough about how helpful everyone was. I did not stay in the Inn, since I'm an Arcadia resident, but some of the party guests stayed there and did not complain about the lodging. Overall, I felt compelled to put a rave review of the party planning services the Inn offers. The previous review about a wedding reception gone wrong may be one unlucky case, so don't let that sway you! If you are considering the Inn for a party, I would highly recommend it. It is very reasonable for the high quality service it provides: a great value.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 22, 2005

I cannot believe I am actually writing this its like a bad movie. I signed onto this site the day before I was flying out to California to visit my parents for thanksgiving. After reading all the horrible stories about the hotel losing reservations I thought I would be safe and call them. Welp... yep thats right.. they lost my reservation. I couldn't believe it I gave them the confirmation code and everything and they couldn't find it. They asked if I wanted to make another reservation and then after getting all my information found out they were booked up! Then told me if I brought in proof of a reservation the next day when I arrived I could get a room, even though they had none. I asked her how they could possibly offer me a room if I had none and they told me that "perhaps I should make a reservation somewhere else just incase." So pay for a room there and somewhere else? So two days before thanksgiving I was lucky enough to find another reservation! If you are thinking about staying here on the claims of " beautiful scenery" then just stay at another local motel and go visit don't risk being out on a limb! Also their receptionist hardly spoke english.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Arcadia hotels

Reviewed October 11, 2005

We were there for a wedding, and the hotel lost the reservations for several of the parties who had also booked rooms for the weekend. My son-in-law and the best man each had to pay extra, because the hotel had "lost" their reservations and all they had left was suites, of course at a higher rate. This hotel was very, very old. That can be a positive, but in this case was not. The walls were holey and punched in, and it was not clean. It needed a good deep cleaning. We had two queen sized beds, but were only given two towels. We had to ask for more each day. The pillows were the flattest I have ever had at any hotel. Not only were they flat (about 1 1/2 inches thick), but they were also lumpy. My daughter even complained of a crick in her neck the next day. On top of it all, they were affiliated with a caterer who did a HIDEOUS job of putting on a once in a lifetime event--a wedding reception. The woman in charge was so nasty and mean, and along with her perpetual frown, she looked like she was working at a barn dance instead of an elegant affair. Our guests were appalled! I would never go to this place again! Oh, I forgot to mention, there are a lot of people in this hotel who live there from week to week. They were crawling all over the place!

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 11, 2005

This place is terrible. They lost our confirmed reservation and made me pay for the upgrade to a suite, as they were completely booked. The room was run down and needed repair. There was trash through out the premisses. I was part of a wedding reception that was completely botched by the wedding planner (she was sub contracted to the Inn and the only one used by them). The food was terrible and the wedding planner was rude. I hated this place.... Do not stay here!!

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pendleton, Oregon
Reviewed October 5, 2005

I have to give this an above average because it has that potential. Room was wonderfully big, but the second we put the suitcase on the bed, the headboard fell off. The air conditioner was not exactly a cooling unit, however once evening fell, the shutters were opened and the cool night air blew in. Because it is extremely reasonable, I think people that don't care about keeping it nice go, I saw one fella empty his bag of potato chips on the grass and then drop the bag in the lovely garden. The pool and gardens were exceptional, and very nice just to sit it. My husband and I loved it. really.

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank cladduh
Reviewed May 21, 2005

The inn is beautifully landscaped but very uncomfortable. It was built in l956 and is basically not air conditioned or insulated. My room was over dining party with musicians wailing 'til 11:00 PM (sorry, it's a private concession.) Part of the inn has long time residents and they told me that fresh air is really only available in the new wing. The staff told me that management was intending to update the AC but those promises never seem to get filled..many owners, many promises. After I complained about the loud music under my balcony I was moved to a far room with a carpet being dried and a smell of cat urine. It's a great location so visit in March and stay in the F wing, close to the street. Smell the room, flush the toilet, check the air and have a great time.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arcadia
Hampton Inn Los Angeles/Arcadia/Pasadena
Hilton Garden Inn Arcadia/Pasadena Area
Extended Stay America - Los Angeles - Arcadia
SpringHill Suites Pasadena Arcadia
Embassy Suites by Hilton Arcadia Pasadena Area
Oak Tree Inn
Oak Tree Inn
#4 of 7 in Monrovia

Been to Santa Anita Inn? Share your experiences!