“Horrible Service!!”
Review of The Derby

The Derby
Reserve with OpenTable
The Derby is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 247 Restaurants in Arcadia
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2nd Ave
Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is the first review I feel the merchant made me feel "I" should be sooo lucky to eat there!! Needless to say, his review is way over-due! Partly because I didn't want to waste more of my time giving this place any more attention. The only reason why I am giving this restaurant a 2 stars is because one out of my three visits was just merely decent (the food was just okay-bit pricey too). The last two visit made me feel I was masochistic because service just continued to get worse. On my last visit to the Derby, we had called in advance to make a reservation for a party of four and was promised a booth seat. Upon arrival we were informed that they were over-booked but had room available in their lounge area. Now their lounge area is dark and creepy. We approached the manager and stated the lounge area was unacceptable and with a smirk on his face said "This is what we have. Take it or leave it." So we left. It is such a shame because the Derby itself has so much charm and the place gives you an Old-Hollywood feeling but the service and food is just atrocious. I would NOT recommend this restaurant at least not until they change management.

I wish I could give a better review on the food but it was so long ago I just don't remember but obviously was not memorable.

2  Thank Julie C

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Derby is a classy place where you can dine in tuxedo and full length formal and be seated next to a Hall of Fame race horse trainer with both wife and husband in jeans. The steaks are tender and fantastic, cooked any way you like. Sea food is fresh from the Pacific, wines from the house red and white to ultra expensive French. I am a jazz fan, and the singer - pianist duo are first rate. I would say the woman vocalist ranks with the best I've heard in the great bands of the 1940s.

The restaurant was the dream child of George Wolf, the famous great jockey of yore nicknamed "the Ice Man" because he was so calm and cool up on those champions he rode at Santa Anita which has a derby only one slight notch below the Kentucky Derby, Preakness and Belmont Stakes.

You will see movie greats in there because it is a short drive from Beverly Hills and Malibu. And the great and not so great trainers and jockeys and owners seem always to be in there chomping on fresh crab or lobsters or filets.

The service is what you'd expect from a first class establishment managed to perfection. The wait to be seated is often twenty or thirty minutes on a weekend night, especially during April when the major stakes races are run just before Kentucky gets into the spotlight. But the racing memorabilia collected over the years is worth the wait with jockey saddles signed by the likes of George Wold, Willie Shoemaker, their whips, caps, goggles.... And photos of champion horses like Seabisquit, Native Dancer, Secretariat.

Prices are quite reasonable compared to many places that are situated in areas that attract the wealthy. I recommend this restaurant as a must-do if you find yourself in the Hollywood-Arcadia-Malibu area. And if not, you really owe it to yourself to make a special trip just to eat in one of the finest places I've had the privilege of visiting.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at Hampton Inn just behind the Derby. Rib-eye was wonderful and crab-cake was delicious. Lot's of horsing racing memorabilia and very good service. Oh, best bread EVER!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Except for the expense of it, the food is great, you can't ask for better. But you better be prepared to pay for it as everything is ala carte. Good place for celebrations and nights out with your significant other, can't be beat!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

The ambiance and decoration was very eliegant. However, we were shuttled to the patio which is less than stellar. Food was very expensive for what you get.

Been to The Derby? Share your experiences!