“High quality in a dank restaurant...”
Review of Mako Sushi

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mako Sushi
Ranked #73 of 241 Restaurants in Arcadia
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I had a fantastic experience because I was with friends who are regulars and get treated extra well. Therefore, my review might be somewhat stilted.

Venue is a bit unkempt and could be made nicer. Also feels quite dank. It is also in a rundown looking shopping center. So I was expecting it to be more 'hole-in-the-wall' type prices. It is quite expensive, particularly for the rolls. However the roll was HUGE!

Most of us did omakase. It was fantastic. The pieces were ginormous! The ones that were marinated were fantastic. Everything was excellent. Also, the service was very nice. I would try and come back on my own. I wonder if it will be the same.

1  Thank GlendaleCA

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Definitely try their spicy scallop rolls! One of the best out there!!!! I would prefer sushi bar rather than table...

Reviewed March 7, 2010

Kinda expensive for sushi..... Food is average but uni is outstanding. Not run by Japanese anymore... 5 star price but 3 star food.

1  Thank jamimimi
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I live right around the corner from here and so I have been a few times. Firstly, as soon as you enter it is like being in a different city - from the small cramped, busy car park, to a busy, bustling sushi joint. They have the customary sushi bar, where you can watch the elderly, and very skilled chefs applying their trade. Or, you can grab a table. But, be warned, this place is small even for sushi restaurant standards, and gets really busy, especially at weekends, so try and ensure you get in before or after peak times. The food - some of the best sushi and sushimi I have tasted. Plus, each serving is generously portioned and deleivered quickly. Price is about right for a sushi restaurant, but when you figure in the size, it is a great deal. If you sit on one the tables, there are always servers buzzing around to ensure you are never without food, or drink. A great place, especially for a local restaurant.

1  Thank socaljames76
Reviewed July 4, 2009

I followed these reviews and tried out Mako Sushi. I was very disappointed. I love to find little hole-in-the walls that are gems but this wasn't one.
They started off great, nice ambiance and the waitresses were great and very friendly. I had the special rainbow roll, the tear jerker roll and the oysters. The portions were good and so was the price but a lot of the rolls were pan seered, and when I tried the rainbow roll I found out why. The salmon and the tuna were not fresh at all, almost mushy. There was another piece of fish that was so grisly that I couldn't figure out what it was...it was like chewing on cartilage. The rolls were fat with Imitation crab and lite on veggies, maybe some people like this but its not my taste.
My final take is great service but bad food.

1  Thank MKing13