“Worth the wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Din Tai Fung Dumpling House - CLOSED

Din Tai Fung Dumpling House
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Taiwanese
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Worth the wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

This place is always crowded and always worth the wait. I eat here every time I come to visit family. I'm vegetarian so I like the veggie dumplings and vegetarian fried noodles, but my dining companions rave about the juicy pork dumplings. The green beans with garlic are also fantastic!

1 Thank Jasheppa

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Pasadena, California
“Great dumplings! Just make sure to visit on the weekend, and prepare for the wait.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This restaurant has the best dumplings in LA, on the weekends. On weekdays I have found the quality to not be as good. However, on weekdays you can get a table much easier. If you brave the weekend crew, make sure to plan to wait for an hour because there will be a crowd. It is worth it though!

Also, parking can be tricky so consider parking on Duarte Rd just south of the restaurant to make your trip a bit less hectic! Enjoy!

1 Thank Jordan H
Irvine, California
“Fresh made dumplings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

The dough is made fresh on the premises. Pork is their speciality. Juicy pork dumplings very good. The juicy pork & crab dumplings were ok...they add a little broth which tasted fishy...my wife and myself did not like it very much...however it is one of their best sellers and we are not Chinese and it is probably an aquired taste. I didn't like beer or sparkling water when I first tried them... But now I love them both....very busy... Prepare to wait....even with two restaurants. Fun environment .

Los Angeles, California
“A bite of Delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

The skinny:

Parking- medium size lot but its so busy you will circle for a while
Service- abrupt, they are there to slap food on table and not much more
Decor- cool light fixtures, hard chairs
Food- Juicy Pork Dumplings....
Coke Factor- in a can
Price- not too bad
The wait- one hour

We came here bc I had heard about the delicious soup dumplings. Despite the one hour wait we decided to tough it out and checked out stores in the strip mall. They will text you when your table is ready but dont get excited, you will wait an adel 10 min for the table to be set. We ordered the following:

Juicy Pork Dumplings - Amazing! 10pc per order, a bite size morsel of goodness
Chicken Dumplings - Also good, no soup inside and the outer dumpling is thicker
Veggie Dumplings - I didn't care for these but my friend liked them
Taro Dumplings - These were ok, my friend liked them a lot
Bok choy - excellent!
Chicken Fried Rice - excellent!

We will be back to try the soup dumplings and the shrimp dumplings and the Bao!

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank melobeam
Los Angeles, California
“Can't wait to go back; long lines”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This Taiwan-based chain has two locations within a minute of each other: Both have Baldwin Ave. addresses and are located in the same mini-mall. One faces Baldwin and the other one fronts the parking lot just south of the street corner. We arrived on a Saturday and put our name in for both locations. We were given a number by each location and responded to the first text message that a table was available--approximately half an hour after our 2:00 p.m. arrival. If you don't text, you need to stay close by to hear your number called.

In an apparent attempt to attract the young, hip crowd, the servers are dressed in all black and speak English; the ambiance is very modern. If there are two of you, don't expect to sit at a 4-person table. It is just too crowded for this luxury.

The steamed 10-piece Steamed Pork and Crab Dumplings ($9.25) were savory. We each had Braised Beef Noodle soup ($7.25/bowl)(labelled "spicy" but not really very spicy) and we split an order of Shanghai Rice Cakes with Chicken ($7.75). The noodle soup and rice cake servings were small. Nearby diners had vegetable dishes. Again, the serving size was small. All vegetables dishes are $7.75.

Chinese friends rave about this place. I have been told to go on a weekday to avoid the long lines.

If this review is helpful, please indicate, "Yes."

• Visited January 2013