“A Nice Place to Stay in Aptos (but don't count sofa sleepers as beds)”

BEST WESTERN Seacliff Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
Woodbridge, California
“A Nice Place to Stay in Aptos (but don't count sofa sleepers as beds)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have stayed at the Best Western Plus Seacliff Inn on a couple of occasions over the past 6 or 7 years. This year (weekend of 6/23/2012) I reserved multiple rooms for a group I had coming in to run our annual Basketball Tournament - with room stays ranging from 1 to 3 nights.

Expectation: When you bring in a large group, you expect a little better than average service (due to the volume of business you bring).

The hotel and grounds were very nice (as usual), but we had numerous problems (which I will get into after discussing the GOOD)

==========================================================================
THE GOOD
==========================================================================

ROOMS
The rooms are clean and well maintained. The furnishings are above average, and the overall level of comfort the same.

GROUNDS
The site is landscaped with many plants and has a "garden" feel to it. The pool is small but nice, and the rooms are centered around the pool. Many rooms have patios that open right up to the pool (if you want that convenience). There is also a hot tub. The grounds are always well maintained, and create an atmosphere of relaxation (that you typically don't get at a BW property - hence this is a BW PLUS property).

BREAKFAST
The hotel has always offered complimentary breakfast buffet that consists of an American Breakfast (not just Continental!). The quality of the food is average (to be expected), but the quality of the buffet options is above average .. eggs, meat, pancakes, fruit, pastries, yogurt, and even Oatmeal that was pretty good!

STAFF
The night desk person was not very helpful (and had problems with quickly helping us when issues arose). Because we were running a tournament, we were late arrivals each night .. so problems were primarily handled by the night staff. Day staff were competent and friendly.

==========================================================================
THE BAD
==========================================================================

SOFA SLEEPERS
Whatever you do, don't count their "sofa sleepers" as real / practical beds. The quality of their sofa beds is so poor that any young adult (or older) occupant won't be able to sleep with even moderate discomfort. The matresses are so thin, that you can feel the springs below them.

We rented the FAMILY SUITE which sleeps EIGHT (2 queen beds, 2 queen sofa sleepers) and had to have them bring in ROLLAWAYS because the teenagers were not able to sleep on the sofa sleepers.

The Rollaways were barely adequate, but a step up from the Sofa Sleepers.

If you have anything LARGER than a child the age of 12 .. I recommend you NOT count the sofa sleepers as practical beds.

NIGHT STAFF
We found the night desk person to be borderline incompetent in handling problems that arose. On our 2nd night we added an additional room with 2 Queen Beds. I checked my guests (2 male coaches) in to that room with the Night desk person. She confirmed for me that the reservation was for 2 Queen beds, and that the room had 2 Queen beds.

After arriving at their room, my guests found the room to be equipped with 1 King bed and 1 Sofa Sleeper. They called me. I spoke with the night desk person who said she would send Security over with the key to another room. I hung up expecting the problem to be resolved.

10 minutes later my guests called me and stated that the Front Desk called and told them their room HAD 2 beds (the king and the sofa sleeper) - and that they would not be moved. The front desk person did NOT contact me with that information, despite my having called her to make arrangements for another room. It was as if she was trying to get them to accept the room they had, by going around my objection.

I then called the front desk again - stated the sofa sleeper was not acceptable - stated that the desk person confirmed the room was 2 Queens - and again asked if they would please move my guests.

I was told they were sold out, and that they probably didn't have another room.

I then asked:
> Why wasn't I told this when I checked them in?
> Why was I told that in fact the room DID have 2 queen beds?
> Why were my guests called and coerced into accepting the 1 King / Sofa Sleeper room?

Instead of getting an answer, the night desk person said she would call back (there might be another room but needed to see if it was clean).

5 minutes later I got a call back stating the room was clean and it had 2 queens.
5 more minutes later my guests had a key to a new room.

THE UGLY
==========================================================================

The level of service (or non service) I received from the Night Staff was strikingly different than what I received from the Day Staff. It was not pleasant having to problem solve with the night staff on both the Friday and Saturday that I had guests arriving.

THE ENDING
==========================================================================

Fortunately when I checked out for the weekend .. the Day Staff Manager (on Monday) listened to my grievances, made sure I was appropriately billed and that we did not pay for anything we shouldn't have.

I was pleased with the Day Staff's attention to detail.

Unfortunately, I am unlikely to book another group here as it was just too much work! Having a tournament to run (and trying to manage the hotel Night Staff) was just exhausting.

I'd recommend this place for a getaway for two .. but not for a large group.

Room Tip: If you enjoy being poolside, request a poolside room. You can step outside onto the patio, and walk...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank RCesena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed here with two 12 year old girls after going to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Paid $10. more for pool view room and we were able to walk out our sliding glass door right to the pool. The grounds are very pretty. Breakfast was included and was good. Have stayed there before and would stay there again. Just ten minutes from boardwalk, much better value for money than Santa Cruz hotels.

Room Tip: Worth the difference for pool view room. Get lower floor so you can walk right out to pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Greenbrae CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

This Best Western has Severino restaurant and bar. The breakfast is excellent eggs, bacon, oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, juice, fruit. Not like most store bought muffins and coffee. Happy Hr. 4-6 every day with great values $5.00 cheeseburger so you can eat light. Severino has a nice selection of dinners and you can eat outside with heat lamps. It does have a small pool and it is easy on and off highway. Rooms are very comfortable and clean and staff is excellent. It is convenient to Santa Cruz town and boardwalk, Capitola Village and is quiet since it is away from the main drag.

Room Tip: All rooms have a little deck with chairs. Some of them overlook the parking lot so you may want to...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Wyckoff, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

My husband, 20-month-old and I just returned from a long trip to California (Monterey area being one of the places we visited) After reading the reviews for the Seacliff Inn, I was pretty confident that it would be acceptable but wasn't prepared to LOVE this place as much as we did. All the "issues" that people have reported (walls being thin, staff being rude, breakfast not being enough) were not part of our experience. I seriously wonder who all these complainers are - probably just that: people who are a little clueless and love to complain about nothing.

We chose a pool-facing room (appx. 100/night) and requested in the special request section that we be given a renovated room. Our room was lovely and we slept like babies - didn't hear a peep or TV from the occupied adjacent rooms; staff was helpful and friendly; the continental breakfast was above and beyond - including eggs, potatoes, sausage, french toast, waffles in addition to all the things you expect at a continental breakfast. The grounds and pool were very well-kept and the "highway noise" that people comment on was non-existent.

Part of the reason we chose this hotel was because the pool area looked large in the photos and it was surrounded by lovely garden areas (and we figured it would only be fair to our 20-month-old and other hotel guests to stay at a place with ample room for her to run around and "be a kid") If you are looking for a place to bring your well-behaved youngsters, this is it. She loved going back-and-forth between the pool and jacuzzi, exploring the paths in the beautiful surrounding gardens and looking at the fish in the koi pond. As parents, we were able to relax because the atmosphere was comfortable and really beautiful and we knew our little one was stimulated and comfortable as well.

We live just outside Manhattan and I am in the public relations profession, so I certainly have high expectations and standards when it comes to service and reputation. I have to say that for what you're paying and what you get at the Best Western Plus Seacliff Inn, the entire experience EXCEEDED MY EXPECTATIONS.

Bravo on a very well-kept property and a job well-done!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth S
Sierra Foothills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Very nice grounds, friendly and helpful staff, very good sized rooms. Rooms in buildings 1 and 2 are closer to hwy 17, therefore more noisy. If you can, try to get a room in bldg. 5 or 6. Pool view rooms are a bit more $, ground floor rooms have a little patio. Complimentary breakfast is very good, but you also have the option to order in the restaurant with a credit for your unused comp breakfast. You can have your breakfast outside by the koi pond. Would stay here again, if in the area.

Room Tip: Go for bldg. 5 or 6
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Aptos, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

My father-in law stayed at this motel and we joined him for lunch. The staff were inattentive and did not know the menu. After about 20 minutes without water, bread or even an inquirey a server finally appeared and asked about beverages. My father-in-law asked for water with no ice. All the waters came with ice. We ordered lunch items and because they listed some breakfast items as available at lunch time, he asked for huevos rancheros. The waitress eventually brought him a couple of eggs sunnyside with some salsa that was more Italian than Mexican. The rest of the food was lackluster, and despite the nearly empty dining room, several staff passed the table without inquiring as to either our needs for any other items (ie salsa with actual jalapenos) or drink refills. Not a good meal and not a fun experience.

Room Tip: anything in the 400 or 500 sections is further from traffic noise. Handicap accessable rooms have cl...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank R E K
Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

The room was okay-nothing exceptional-average for a hotel-about 2.5 stars. The inn grounds were charming. Our beef is with the restaurant staff. For some reason, once we were seated, we were not waited on for 15 minutes. Once we were approached, our order was not actually taken for another 10 minutes. We waited another half hour for our food. Our time was limited-it was breakfast time and we needed to get on the road. After we finished eating, we waited another 20 minutes for a bill. It was absurd! Other tables with different wait staff came and went while we were waiting. I eventually went to management and told them we would not be paying for breakfast if we did not get a bill immediately.. Of course, the manager went off to find the waitress who still took several minutes to arrive. WORST service I have ever had in an otherwise decent restaurant. Food was average. We were supposed to get a credit for breakfast as a part of our stay. I asked for one pancake instead of the three on the menu. Because I asked for one, we were charged the full price bu individual item and were not given the discount. Instead of a $15 breakfast, it was twice as much-are you kidding me!!

Room Tip: Rooms are okay
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Suze1907
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aptos
Rio Sands Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,267 reviews
Capitola Venetian Hotel
Capitola Venetian Hotel
#4 of 4 in Capitola

Been to BEST WESTERN Seacliff Inn? Share your experiences!