I have stayed at the Best Western Plus Seacliff Inn on a couple of occasions over the past 6 or 7 years. This year (weekend of 6/23/2012) I reserved multiple rooms for a group I had coming in to run our annual Basketball Tournament - with room stays ranging from 1 to 3 nights.
Expectation: When you bring in a large group, you expect a little better than average service (due to the volume of business you bring).
The hotel and grounds were very nice (as usual), but we had numerous problems (which I will get into after discussing the GOOD)
The rooms are clean and well maintained. The furnishings are above average, and the overall level of comfort the same.
The site is landscaped with many plants and has a "garden" feel to it. The pool is small but nice, and the rooms are centered around the pool. Many rooms have patios that open right up to the pool (if you want that convenience). There is also a hot tub. The grounds are always well maintained, and create an atmosphere of relaxation (that you typically don't get at a BW property - hence this is a BW PLUS property).
The hotel has always offered complimentary breakfast buffet that consists of an American Breakfast (not just Continental!). The quality of the food is average (to be expected), but the quality of the buffet options is above average .. eggs, meat, pancakes, fruit, pastries, yogurt, and even Oatmeal that was pretty good!
The night desk person was not very helpful (and had problems with quickly helping us when issues arose). Because we were running a tournament, we were late arrivals each night .. so problems were primarily handled by the night staff. Day staff were competent and friendly.
Whatever you do, don't count their "sofa sleepers" as real / practical beds. The quality of their sofa beds is so poor that any young adult (or older) occupant won't be able to sleep with even moderate discomfort. The matresses are so thin, that you can feel the springs below them.
We rented the FAMILY SUITE which sleeps EIGHT (2 queen beds, 2 queen sofa sleepers) and had to have them bring in ROLLAWAYS because the teenagers were not able to sleep on the sofa sleepers.
The Rollaways were barely adequate, but a step up from the Sofa Sleepers.
If you have anything LARGER than a child the age of 12 .. I recommend you NOT count the sofa sleepers as practical beds.
We found the night desk person to be borderline incompetent in handling problems that arose. On our 2nd night we added an additional room with 2 Queen Beds. I checked my guests (2 male coaches) in to that room with the Night desk person. She confirmed for me that the reservation was for 2 Queen beds, and that the room had 2 Queen beds.
After arriving at their room, my guests found the room to be equipped with 1 King bed and 1 Sofa Sleeper. They called me. I spoke with the night desk person who said she would send Security over with the key to another room. I hung up expecting the problem to be resolved.
10 minutes later my guests called me and stated that the Front Desk called and told them their room HAD 2 beds (the king and the sofa sleeper) - and that they would not be moved. The front desk person did NOT contact me with that information, despite my having called her to make arrangements for another room. It was as if she was trying to get them to accept the room they had, by going around my objection.
I then called the front desk again - stated the sofa sleeper was not acceptable - stated that the desk person confirmed the room was 2 Queens - and again asked if they would please move my guests.
I was told they were sold out, and that they probably didn't have another room.
I then asked:
> Why wasn't I told this when I checked them in?
> Why was I told that in fact the room DID have 2 queen beds?
> Why were my guests called and coerced into accepting the 1 King / Sofa Sleeper room?
Instead of getting an answer, the night desk person said she would call back (there might be another room but needed to see if it was clean).
5 minutes later I got a call back stating the room was clean and it had 2 queens.
5 more minutes later my guests had a key to a new room.
The level of service (or non service) I received from the Night Staff was strikingly different than what I received from the Day Staff. It was not pleasant having to problem solve with the night staff on both the Friday and Saturday that I had guests arriving.
Fortunately when I checked out for the weekend .. the Day Staff Manager (on Monday) listened to my grievances, made sure I was appropriately billed and that we did not pay for anything we shouldn't have.
I was pleased with the Day Staff's attention to detail.
Unfortunately, I am unlikely to book another group here as it was just too much work! Having a tournament to run (and trying to manage the hotel Night Staff) was just exhausting.
I'd recommend this place for a getaway for two .. but not for a large group.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the beauty of northern California's beaches and lush natural landscape from the comfort of this luxurious Aptos hotel near the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk! Located just minutes from Seacliff Beach, this charming Aptos hotel offers easy access to the area's many attractions. The famed Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is just a short drive away, as is exciting whale watching, kayaking, sailing and more. Outdoor lovers delight in hiking through the majestic redwoods and other local flora at the nearby Wilder Ranch, Henry Cowell, and Nisene Marks State Parks. Go back in time on the historic Roaring Camp Railroads, sample some of California's finest wines at Santa Cruz wineries or get a glimpse of life under the sea at the world-famous Monterey Bay Aquarium, less than an hour away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Best Western, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your BEST WESTERN Seacliff Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Seacliff Hotel Aptos
- Best Western Seacliff Hotel
- Best Western Aptos
- Aptos Best Western