“Clean, adequate accommodation”
Review of Rio Sands Hotel

Rio Sands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Our family stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in November. My husband and I and our 2 young adult children, 22 and 24, were doing a quick wine country visit and looking for a reasonably-priced suite-type room for the 4 of us.

The accommodation was a bit cramped and had an odd layout, but provided everything we needed. It had a good-sized refrigerator, microwave, oven and stovetop and basic dishware and cookware. The 2-bedroom suite is divided into an outer room with bunkbeds and bathroom and an inner room with king bed and kitchen. There is a patio onto a walkway, which has a small table and 4 chairs. Our daughter thought the bunk beds might have plastic liners over the mattress - she said it crinkled.

The hotel has an outdoor pool and hot tub, both of which were clean and the perfect temperature. The beach is a block away, and there is a nice walking path.

The breakfast included cereal, pastries, breads for toast, bagels, bananas, canned fruit and make-your-own waffles. Nothing special.

My biggest gripe is that the walls must be paper-thin. The first night was very quiet, but the second night there were more people booked in. The people above us didn't seem to ever go to sleep - they were up watching TV at 3 am. The place is LOUD.

Everything was clean and the bath towels were of good quality. The staff was friendly. It served our purpose, but I don't think I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Try top floor for less noise
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
BartfieldGroup, Owner Representative at Rio Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear JKL_Colorado,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a thorough review!

We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant visit here in Aptos! It’s a great place to bring the family.

And we sincerely apologize if the noise level in the hotel was disruptive to your visit! The comfort of our guests is a top priority to us and we will do everything in our power to make your stay the best experience possible. We aim to maintain a relaxing atmosphere and, if you had informed our front desk of a noise issue, we would have been happy to manage the problem. We have a front desk attendant on site 24 hours a day to ensure that our guests are happy all through the night. Next time, please allow us the opportunity to serve you the best way we can.

We hope you will consider coming back to stay with us during your next coastal vacation!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

A nice place to stay on our journey. The room was great, especially with the 2 rooms - and the bunk beds for the kids (which they loved). Room was a little tired, but clean with lots of room - and the kitchen area wondeful for our family (we ate in for the 3 nights that we were there). Full size oven, and equipment (including microwave) and small fridge). Pool and spa were great, and staff were quick to act on comments of "unmentionable" that was sitting at the bottom of the pool - pool closed and cleaned/chlorinated. No probs at all. Only negative were our noisy neighbours above (we were on bottom level). Reasonable breakfast and easy, free parking.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
BartfieldGroup, Owner Representative at Rio Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear 4tuataras,

Thank you so much for your kind review!

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us! And we want to thank YOU for allowing us to be accommodating in every way possible. We do our very best to maintain the highest quality standards possible and guests like you make our job even easier!

We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is it!
I give this place a (5) it might as well be on the beach because it is literally right across from it a fairly clean, quiet beach too.
Let me say that this hotel is one of my favorite places to stay in the Santa Cruz area.
The last time I stayed here I was here for my niece’s wedding.
The staff is extremely friendly as well as helpful even printed us maps to and from the Wedding site and the reception.
This is a perfect location, reasonable rates, clean, simple and quiet.
These are the main reasons we keep coming back here.
The rooms were a lot like other hotels near the beach that I've stayed at and has all the things I love and look for in a beach side hotel, a nice patio area with a grill that gets a lot of sun by the pool, comfortable furniture, two big older TVs, but most importantly almost every time I have stayed here I have gotten a room with a kitchenette complete with pots, pans, plates, silver ware and even a few Tupperware! You know it's just so nice to have the option to make a home cooked meal :
The breakfast is basic... very basic, but well displayed. The bed was extremely comfortable.
Also, the pool is heated I think, and there's a spa, in case the beach is too cold for you
There is a small store within walking distance, and a great sandwiches shop just a block away.
If you're looking to be blown away, then keep on looking. This is no-frills. But I don't go somewhere to be stuck in the hotel the whole time, so this place has just what we need. The basics.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
BartfieldGroup, Owner Representative at Rio Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Harry E,

What a nice review, thank you!

We are thrilled to be one of your favorite places to stay and it’s great to know that you’ve made this your home away from home.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My husband and I have a small business. I book hotel rooms for 20-25 employees on a weekly basis. This hotel is definitely the most accommodating hotel I've found. The rates are very reasonable with our large group. The staff sets up the continental breakfast for our employee's that work as early as 2:00 am. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, several have kitchenette's. They have a great group barbecue area, with a pool and hot tub. Our employee's that have stayed, tell me this is their favorite hotel. My husband and I have stayed a couple times, and we love it. I would highly recommend this hotel for families or business.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Polly_L277,

Thank you so much for your great review!

We absolutely love it when you and your employees come to stay! And, as always, we are happy that we’re able to accommodate you guys. Hard workers deserve a break; whether it’s a dip in the pool or breakfast at 2:00 am.

Come back and see us again soon!

The Staff of the Rio Sands Hotel

Reviewed September 24, 2012

First let me say that this hotel is one of my favorite to stay in the Santa Cruz area. The last time I stayed there I was with a large group for work and everyone has had the same things to say about it. The staff is extremely friendly as well as helpful. The rooms were a lot like other hotels near the beach that I've stayed at and has all the things I love and look for in a beach side hotel, a nice patio area with a grill that gets a lot of sun by the pool, comfortable furniture, two big flat screen tvs, but most importantly almost every time I have stayed here I have gotten a room with a kitchenette complete with pots, pans, plates, silver ware and even a few tupperware! Ya know it's just so nice to have the option to make a home cooked meal :)
If you notice I did give the location a 4 and only because it is not directly on the beach which is the only time I give 5s however this place might as well be on the beach because it is literally right across from it :)

Over all I give this place 5 stars, I really do enjoy my self when I come here and I feel it is genuinely a great choice :)

• Stayed: September 2012
BartfieldGroup, Owner Representative at Rio Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Natecrown,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review!

We are overjoyed that you and your coworkers had such a pleasant stay! When you’re happy, we’re happy!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

This property is just an average hotel; there is nothing outstanding or special about it except it's location: 2 blocks from the beach. The rooms are clean and the housekeeping is good. The TV's are old as is the decor and there is no air-conditioning. Nor is there a cross flow of the breeze from the ocean so the rooms can get very warm and stuffy (we were in a large King room in the older area). The breakfast is basic... very basic, but well displayed. The bed was extremely hard. If this hotel were near an airport or along a freeway with other similar properties, you would not expect to pay more than $60-$80 per night.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BartfieldGroup, Owner Representative at Rio Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Casilva,

Thank you for your review!

We hope you enjoyed your stay here at the Rio Sands Hotel. We have undergone a massive remodel in the past year and are continuing our quest to be the very best vacation spot possible for our fabulous guests.

We apologize if the bed wasn’t to your liking. Bed types can be tricky because they are all about personal preference. It looks like you stayed in one of our KING rooms which are equipped with Tempur-pedic beds. Some people absolutely love this type of bed but they are not everyone’s cup of tea. We have other choices that may be a better fit for you and are more than happy to discuss these with you when you make your next reservation. Above all, we want our guests to be happy and comfortable. If at any time you aren’t completely comfortable while staying with us, please let us know! Our front desk staff is here to help you in any way possible and would relish the opportunity to make your stay even more enjoyable.

Our location is definitely one of our best features. Since we are so close to the ocean, it rarely gets warm enough to need air conditioning. In fact, we consider ourselves lucky during our rare “heat waves”. Even during July and August, the temperature range is moderate with a high of 76 degrees and a low of 54 degrees (Fahrenheit).

We are sorry you didn’t find our breakfast to be satisfactory. With about 15 items to choose from, including eggs and a hot waffle bar, most people are thoroughly satisfied with all of our options.

We take the opinions of our guests very seriously and if you ever have any suggestions, please let us know! We genuinely aim to please.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

When we first checked in, the staff was very friendly and helpful. During our stay, all the other staff members we encountered were extremely nice as well.

We stayed in a family suite with a bunkbed and couch bed in one room and a queen size (maybe king?) in the other and that worked out really well for us with three kids. Surprisingly, the kids were quite excited about the pull out bed in the couch.

We loved that there was a little kitchen and were able to make our meals "at home" when we wanted to.

I've read about updates to the hotel in many reviews, but if there were any, I wasn't able to recognize them. To me, the decor was pretty outdated and the building itself reminded me (design-wise) of our first apartment which was old, but functional. What it lacked in pretty, it made up for in clean and convenient, though.

It truly was a short, two block walk to the beach. Even with smaller kids, it was no problem. There were a handful of cute little beach cafes and deli shops within easy walking distance.

It wasn't super warm (highs of about 70 degrees) this time of year, but it was warm enough for the kids to play at the beach and for us to take some really nice family walks.

The hotel itself had a nice little vending machine with reasonably priced little snacks and drinks that we all took advantage of.

The daily breakfast was good. Plenty of bread and pastry choices, some fresh fruit, waffles you can make yourself, hard boiled eggs, cereal, that kind of thing. The lady who worked the breakfast room kept everything stocked and tidy and was very sweet. The fireplace and soft music playing made it seem like a little restaurant instead of just a cafeteria style place to eat. That was a really nice touch.

The room was cleaned daily and clean towels were provided if you requested them.

Very good place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a kitchen if you'd like to make some of your meals yourself. It is really co...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
BartfieldGroup, Owner Representative at Rio Sands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear JulieHintz,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review!

One of our biggest goals is to provide a home away from home experience for our guests. We are extremely happy to hear that you were able to make family dinner time happen here at our hotel. That is one of the best things about reserving a suite with a kitchen, it’s all the convenience of home without any of the stressful distractions!

We did a million dollar renovation recently and if you had the chance to stay with us prior, you would definitely notice the giant strides we’ve taken to improve and update our entire property. Since then, we’ve received nothing but compliments on the updates we’ve made and have even received the Community Enhancement Award from our local chamber of commerce. On the whole, we are constantly updating and evolving to be the best coastal escape we can be for our amazing guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us such a thoughtful review! We look forward to your next visit!

The Staff of the Rio Sands Hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aptos
Best Western Seacliff Inn
Capitola Venetian Hotel
Capitola Venetian Hotel
#4 of 4 in Capitola
Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola

Been to Rio Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!