“great outdoor eating, and pets are welcome”
Review of Bittersweet Bistro

Bittersweet Bistro
Ranked #10 of 73 Restaurants in Aptos
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Description: Recognized by locals as one of the top restaurants in Aptos and Santa Cruz County, Bittersweet Bistro offers an American Bistro Cuisine style dinner menu with Mediterranean influences. Outstanding dessert menu and an award-winning wine list are served in a casual, relaxed atmosphere in the dining room, heated outdoor patio and new lounge.
Reviewed September 30, 2010

Our first visit to this restaurant was for lunch in the outdoor eating area. The outside courtyard is beautiful and charming, well-designed and landscaped. We loved it immediately. Since it was a hot summer day and we had our dog with us, we didn't want to leave him in the car, so we asked if he could sit with us in the outdoor courtyard. We were told not only that he was welcome but they actually had menus for dogs. This is my first experience of an upscale restaurant--or any restaurant, for that matter-- offering a menu for dogs. We ordered a hamburger for our dog, Max, and it arrived in a dog bowl. The waiter brought him biscuits as well and couldn't have been nicer and more inviting. Our food was good as well. Next time we are in town, we will definitely revisit this restaurant; in fact, I look forward to it. Take your pet.

Reviewed August 14, 2010

I am confused. Every time I eat at Bittersweet, I walk out saying to myself...that was incredible...I do not understand some of these other reviews. Great appetizers, huge selection of local, fresh entree's , deserts to die for and a monster wine list....I think some of these other reviewers were having a bad day......oh, the servers, many of which have been there for years, are the best......keep it up Thomas and Elizabeth!! Great new breakfast /lunch addition with the Bittersweet Cafe......

Reviewed June 22, 2010

I planned a wedding rehearsal at this restaurant largely based on what I viewed on their website. I found the owner to be incredibly difficult to communicate with. When I had issues with the inflexibility of the menu and the ridiculous prices. She told me I knew nothing about her business or about doing business in California. I have never been treated so badly by someone I was paying to provide me with a service. I have been in the restaurant/service business myself for 8 years and would find her treatment unacceptable under any circumstance.

My dinner was for 40 people and the projected cost was $5,000 for wine and appetizers.

1  Thank GwenChicago
Reviewed April 7, 2010

We held an incredible rehearsal dinner at Bittersweet Bistro about 6 years ago and have been coming back whenever we're in the area. I was a bit worried by the less-than-steller reviews lately, but we found it to still be a fantastic restaurant. The service was impeccable, the food delicious, and the atmosphere very nice. I had the lamb and my husband had a filet -- both very tasty. They've added a small plate option where the meat portion is half of the full plate. That option gave us more freedom to order a salad and save room for one of the chef's luscious chocolate desserts. We had a perfect dinner and can't wait for the weather to warm a little to have the opportunity to dine on their exquisite courtyard/patio.

Reviewed December 18, 2009

Our first visit will not be our last. Four of us had four different dishes, and all were excellent. We will definitely be back. The salmon was perfect, the steaks were done the way they were requested, the wait staff was very professional. We were with relatives we hadn't seen in a long time and we were not hurried in the least. They have a beautiful patio for outdoor dining, but that night it was way too cold and rainy.

Been to Bittersweet Bistro? Share your experiences!