“Hidden Treasure”
Review of Bittersweet Bistro

Bittersweet Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Bittersweet Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 75 Restaurants in Aptos
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Description: Recognized by locals as one of the top restaurants in Aptos and Santa Cruz County, Bittersweet Bistro offers an American Bistro Cuisine style dinner menu with Mediterranean influences. Outstanding dessert menu and an award-winning wine list are served in a casual, relaxed atmosphere in the dining room, heated outdoor patio and new lounge.
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Restaurant is large and good for events. Parking is not great, but the inside is quite large with private rooms to take groups. The bar area is large, they have great happy hour specials, and a complete menu at the bar as well. Drinks are resonably priced. We had the clams and another starter at the bar,,... the drinks were well made, the food tasted good, people friendly, I marked down because even by sitting at the bar, the end of the bar, after they served us, they never came back and asked if we wanted anything else, which is not okay. We paid and left for another place and had a great time. Maybe another time we will get better service, there were plenty of servers in the bar area :(
We are always looking for a good place when we visit end of the year, so will keep it in mind or for the summer, they have a large patio (with hearter lamps) that would be nice in better weather.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I was a fan of Bittersweet and would tell others that this restaurant was my favorite, but not any more. This last visit was a big disappointment. We had dinner on New Year's eve and that could excuse the slow service and difficultly in getting the server's attention.
We started off with beet salad, but they neglected to dress with the honey-dijon vinaigrette... and it took us 8 minutes to flag down the server. I always enjoy their steak sandwich, but this time the fries were limp. The worst of it....the $15 glass of wine was 3, maybe 4 oz. We are not big drinkers, but please, give us more than a few sips in a glass. That was the cap to a truly average dinner.

1  Thank Marq L
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I am a local but have never had breakfast here. So, some friends suggested we stop by for breakfast this past Sunday. The weather was gorgeous so we sat outside. The two other people with me had been here before so knew what to order. One said "chicken and waffles" and my head snapped around, whoa....so I ordered chicken and waffles. It was delicious! You get a huge Belgian waffle with crumbled bacon with a nice piece of lightly breaded chicken over the waffle with two strips of bacon along side. You can chose blueberry or maple syrup, chose the maple. Ate every bite!
Cannot comment on other dishes as this was my first time, but I will be back. Our server Danielle was wonderful!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

The breakfast food here was good. What I did not like was that you are not able to make choices. The egg benedict only came with country potatoes rather than hash browns or fruit. The burrito can not be changed at all which is hard if you are allergic to an ingredient. I took that as it was pre-made already then. This place is very dog friendly, which as a dog owner I appreciate but with outdoor seating so close together, we had dog at our table or in our handbags sniffing around. Nothing against the Bistro, but does make it hard to enjoy your meal with the seating so close. The wait staff had a hard time getting plates to us since seating was so close and dogs were in the way. I would suggest they had a "dog friendly" area rather than everywhere. The service was extremely poor. Our waitress was very nice, but it took forever to get anything. She was working outside and inside as well. We felt as it we were the left overs since we were outside. Refills on water, soda, asking for condiments- we really had to wait. Even asking other wait staff did not help. They would just try to find our waitress and the wait began again. I blame management on how they assign tables. I would only suggest going here if you don't mind not having great service, possibility of un-managed dogs at your table (inside or out from my visual and experience), cold food for waiting for condiments and food being brought out at different times. Would of been nice to eat together.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Our friends had recommended the pancakes here with the carmelized banana sauce and boy, were they right. These were honestly the best pancakes we have ever had. And they were so very thick, yet fluffy. Simply great!

Been to Bittersweet Bistro? Share your experiences!