“Loved the ambiance”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aptos
Sand Rock Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Aptos B&B and Inns
los angeles
“Loved the ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2008

My husband, daughter and I stayed here while touring colleges. We were very pleased with the beautiful decor, warm ambiance, and kindness of the staff. The grounds are lovely. We enjoyed walking the trails between the ancient redwood trees and watching the twittering birds in the garden.

Our room was large and very comfortable. The shower gels in the bath room were delightfully scented and the towels were thick and soft.

The owner, Kris, was both kind and informative. You could not ask for a better hostess. She suggested restaurants and happily made reservations for us. She told us about the history of the farm and generally made us feel at home away from home.

The breakfast was delicious. We enjoyed fresh stoned fruits with mint, baked french toast topped with blueberries and cream, and a chicken apple sausage, in addition to coffee and juices.

I highly recommend this B&B.

• Liked — charming ambiance
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2008

We had our wedding at the stunningly beautiful Sand Rock Farm in July 2008. My husband and I really wanted to get married outdoors, and when we saw the Redwood Grove location, we were sold, and knew we wanted to get married underneath the gorgeous Redwood tree, among the lush greenery and abundant flowers of Sand Rock Farm. Our 95 guests loved the location, both for the ceremony and the reception in the nearby winery meadow. Innkeeper Kris helped us arrange everything - from the chair, table and linen rentals, the magnificent catering (Swingtime Caterers were amazing, we highly recommend Chef Antonette!), bartenders, and recommendations on florists (we love Brianna at Boulder Creek Flowers), cake suppliers (the Buttery), local restaurants, and even set up babysitters and entertainment for the 17 kids we had attending the wedding. Our photos from the wedding reflect the beauty of Sand Rock. Linda, the very professional field coordinator on the wedding day, kept everything organized and on schedule, and was a pleasure to work with as well. The house staff at Sand Rock - particularly Mackayla - were all smiles and super helpful. If planning a wedding here, I recommend renting out the entire inn for the weekend - we really felt like it was OUR place for the weekend and it was a blast for us to have our closest friends staying at the inn with us. We were thrilled all the way around with our wedding weekend at Sand Rock Farm and I would recommend it to anyone!

• Liked — beauty
  • Stayed July 2008
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

My husband and I had a fabulous wedding at Sand Rock Farm in June. The Redwood Grove provided the perfect place for us to exchange our vows and the Winery Meadow and Winery Ruins set the scene for a wonderful party. Our guest of all ages enjoyed the garden and grounds.

Kris, the owner, helped us to arrange and plan many parts of our wedding, including hiring baby sitters and a child entertainer who charmed our young guests with stories and face painting. Some of the children who attended were still talking about the entertainer weeks later! Patty, the party manager, was organized and resourceful and made sure our wedding went smoothly . Dean, one of the employees, did so much to help us and make sure that we were well taken care of. He works very hard, and yet always has a smile on his face. We were very pleased with the service overall and recommend Sand Rock Farm as a great place to host a party.

During the course of a year planning our wedding, my husband and I stayed at Sand Rock Farm several times. It is beautiful in all seasons! At each visit, we were amazed by the clean, comfortable rooms (we have stayed in 3 of the 5 rooms, all great), the tasty breakfasts Kris prepares (goat cheese souffle was our favorite!) , and the wealth of information Kris shares with her guests about the area and its history. She is friendly and adds lots of nice touches to make your B&B stay special. She gives good restaurant recommendations too. We will go back again and again! We are already planning our next visit!

• Liked — The staff and the grounds, plus the amazing house
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Petaluma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

The room was lovely, the surrounding grounds are beautiful, the food was pretty good, but then came the wedding day. The innkeeper showed a tremendous lack of courtesy when she denied an eight year old child a seat at the breakfast table because he was not included on her list of persons to be seated. Finally his aunt gave up her place so the child could eat. (Evidently pulling up an extra chair and sharing a plate is not done here). The wedding was wonderful, the serving staff was overseen by a hostile, abrupt, and very rude blond woman who offended lots of us. Don't even think about keeping your baby stroller, car seat, etc close to your table as you eat at the reception, and don't try to change your assigned table for the meal or their world will come to an end. And the inn is not for wedding guest to use, with the exception of a toilet. The staff was such a hostile contrast to the loving couple who had their wedding at the place. Such a shame.

• Liked — the grounds
  • Disliked — the innkeeper
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
KrisAptos, Owner at Sand Rock Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 21, 2008
Sand Rock Farm has hosted many weddings and families in the past few years who have enjoyed themselves with their guests in our beautiful surroundings.

Breakfast: had planned early to accommodate the Bridal Party's decorating plans. We did not know the little boy had spent the night, so were not prepared for an addition to breakfast. I spoke with the Bride and asked if she would like to have any additional breakfast for him. She told me that would not be necessary as her aunt needed to go do the flowers and would not stay anyway. I provided a plate for her aunt to take sweet rolls with her. If I had known a bit ahead of time, I would have gladly accommodated for the extra.

I am so sorry that you felt that our Site Coordinator was rude. She has worked many weddings, always in a firm, polite and professional manner. Both the wedding participants and guests have commented about her care to detail and pleasant demeanor.

The tables were close so that everyone would be able to communicate. Strollers and car seats did make getting around more difficult. Table assignments were made by the Bride and Groom. The numbers and people at the tables were their choice Our Site Coordinator responsiblity was to follow their wishes and make sure that food would be served to each table and the correct number.

The Bride and Groom chose to rent the inn for one night, Saturday. We therefore took bookings for Sunday. Check out time is 11 and the bridal couple had assured us that everyone knew and could work with that timeframe. Check in time is 3:00 PM and the rooms and house needed to be cleaned and readied for the new guests.

I had told the Bridal Couple earlier that I would keep our largest room on the first floor and its bathroom available for use by the Wedding Party and guests. Additionally, after it was explained to me by several of the Bridesmaids that the Bride wanted to stay in the room she was in to change after the wedding, I held that room open for them as well until after the wedding was over and she could change.

There were actually two bathrooms available at all times to the guests and a room for both the Bride and Bridesmaids to change in, in the main house first floor.

Our staff did the best they could before the wedding, helping to hang lanterns, storing beverages, cupcakes, flowers, helping with luggage, providing assistance and information to various guests. They served, cleaned up after the event, took down the lanterns so that the Bride could take them with her and continued to provide the kind of service to guests that has been praised in the past by many visitors to Sand Rock Farm.

I am so very sorry that you felt the staff was a “hostile contrast”. I can assure you we care very passionately about serving our guests, each and everyone, all of the time. I am sorry you feel we fell short on that and created such a bad impression to you.
CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2008

I just attended a wedding at this location. It is spectacularly beautiful and I can imagine staying a weekend here would be incredibly relaxing.... EXCEPT for Kris and her so called "Site Coordinator". They are overbearing and incredibly rude.

I called the site 2 months before the wedding and talked to the owner Kris on the phone to help the bride and groom out with figuring who was staying at the location... and Miss Kris was so rude on the phone that I decided that my family would stay at another lovely Bed and Breakfast 10 miles away. I was flabbergasted at how rude she was on the phone to me... a potential customer.

The "Site Coordinator" (not sure what her name is, but she is blonde and wears her hair in a pony-tail/bun type style) yelled at the Grooms Mother and Sister and other guests for moving a table to get the wedding cake out of the sun. She also yelled at other wedding guests for going into the house for using the bathroom. Sure the house wasn't rented out for the wedding party to spend time in, but the bathrooms MUST be available when there are guests on site for 5 or more hours. To yell at a child’s parent because they are taking them to the bathroom is so inappropriate and rude. The child's mother was behind him. No need to yell. And I heard about how at 11am they were rushing the bridesmaids and the Bride out of her room while still getting ready for the wedding... No other guests were booked in those rooms. All that was to be done was to have the beds turned down.

At one point about half way through the reception the owner actually locked the doors that go out to the "dance floor" so no one could come in or out... even her employees who were busing tables! She locked her own employees out of the house! Can you believe it! Eventually she put up a sign asking people to use a side door to get to the restrooms. The sign should have been up at the beginning.

Overall the wedding was beautiful... but this is attributed to the bride and her careful planning and her bridesmaids who really had everything organized.

The food didn't have much flavor to it... relatively bland. I wish that salt and pepper had at least been offered on the tables. Oh and the tables. I would not recommend booking a wedding here if you have 9 tables of people to sit at for lunch/dinner. It was extremely crowded and half of the attendees were not able to see the bride and groom for their 1st dance... and most of the people there weren't able to dance either. The wooden folding chairs were uncomfortable to sit in and felt very unstable in the dirt in the Redwood Grove. The stairs that go from the main house to the upper parking lot are very steep.

Some advise for owner and staff. BE NICE! I know weddings are stressful, but your tone when speaking to your guests is VERY important. Especially when there is a wedding taking place. Your tone is so crucial when dealing with people. No matter what stress you have going on, do not project it on to those attempting to help you. When the person in charge of the wedding cake has a concern like the cake melting in the sun... validate their concern and fix the situation. Don't yell at them and scold them for moving a table. Ask politely and then communicate your plan to make things work. You insulted the Grooms mother, sister, and sister in law directly in front of other guests. How embarrassing and rude. I think you need to apologize.

• Liked — It was a beautiful location and the site was nice... but with staff attitude, I will never visit there again.
  • Disliked — The food was bland and most was cold by the time it arrived to our table.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
KrisAptos, Owner at Sand Rock Farm Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, August 23, 2008
We have hosted many wonderful weddings at Sand Rock Farm in the past few years where friends and family have enjoyed the day tremendously.

At a wedding, the most important people of the day are the Bride and Groom. We do everything we can in advance, through detailed planning with the Bride and Groom to ensure that all goes smoothly. We work with the couple over a period of many months to try to fulfill their wishes to the best of our ability.

The Site Coordinator is a professional young woman who makes it all happen the day of, meeting with the couple and the point person in advance to make sure that important details are confirmed. If there are any hiccups the day of, she smoothes them out, quietly and competently. She does not yell. She is firm and pleasant and has received many complements for her careful handling of myriad details by very satisfied wedding parties and guests at Sand Rock Farm.

The phone is usually my first contact with potential guests. I try to always be helpful and friendly. When you called to talk about availability for the weekend of the wedding, I told you that the Bridal Couple had booked the inn for Saturday night and I did not know who they had planned to have stay in the rooms in the house. I referred you to them, contacted them and let them know that you had called. They told me that they would work out accommodations with you.

The Site Coordinator meets with the Bridal Couple and the point person the day before the wedding to finalize table and guest placement. Consideration was taken as to where the sun would be at a particular time of the day. The Site Coordinator did ask that the table that had been set up for the cupcakes and cake not be moved as the sun would not be on the table when the cupcakes were brought out for display. She did not yell.

Two bathrooms in the house had been allocated for guest use and guests were directed to the main front door out of the traffic pattern to access the bathrooms. The French doors are right in the middle of the deck and when opened provide potential congestion. They were locked to help direct the traffic and avoid congestion. You are correct. A sign
put on the doors at the very beginning of the Reception would have been appropriate. Wait staff did not use the French doors for bussing, but went to the kitchen from the outside.

As previously mentioned the Bridal Couple had rented the house for Saturday and not Sunday. Check out time is 11:00 AM. We did have other guests checking in to the upstairs rooms and the house staff needed to do a complete cleaning and changing of each of the rooms which takes a minimum of an hour per room.

The Bridal Couple had assured me that the guests who stayed in the house on Saturday had been made aware of the checkout time and agreed to leave the rooms at 11.

Several Bridesmaids came to ask me if we could leave the Brides’ room till after the wedding so she could change. I agreed. The room was available to the Bride and Bridesmaids so that she could change from her wedding dress.

I am sorry that you did not care for the food. Following a tasting with the Bride and Groom. the Groom and our caterer worked out the menu together with fresh berries as the theme. Three services are offered, a Buffet where food is kept warm in chafing dishes, Family Style with serving platters on each table and individual plating. The Bride and Groom chose Family Style service.

We have six different event sites on our ten acre property, many larger than the Deck. The Bride and Groom chose the multilevel deck as their venue as they liked the trees and gardens surrounding the deck. The tables were close as the Bridal Couple wanted communication between friends and family at the tables. The strollers and car seats near tables did make getting around somewhat difficult.

Several tables were removed after the dinner service so that those guests who wished to dance, could. True, not everyone was able to dance at the same time, but, again, the Bride and Groom chose the location.

My role the day of the wedding is to remain behind the scenes, usually the kitchen, to lend a hand if asked, or needed. I do not mingle with the guests during the event and did not see the Groom’s mother, sister and sister in law that afternoon. I would never intentionally insult anyone. If I personally did anything to offend them, I am most heartily sorry. It was a day to celebrate, for friends and family to share in the Bridal Couple's happiness.

Our staff meet after each event to discuss any issues that occurred during the event that need to be addressed. We use every event as continual learning, improving with each experience.

My staff and I strive to make people happy, not unhappy. Thank you for the suggestions about tone when speaking to others. We endeavor to be calm, pleasant and helpful. I am so very sorry that you felt we were not.
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2008

Freshly picked flowers from the inn’s extensive gardens greet guests in spacious, well-furnished and spotless rooms. Fruit from the inn’s orchards start each breakfast, with an ambitious and interesting menu that did not repeat in the four days we were there. Presiding over this was a gracious, hospitable and knowledgeable owner whose restaurant and sightseeing advice greatly enhanced our visit. This is an ideal B&B; we would go back in a minute.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CWLNYC
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

Overall our stay was good, especially considering the location--near Capitola and close to various wineries. Breakfast was fantastic, especially the prepared grapefruit with berry syrup. Our room was average, with a non-working jet tub. Grounds were pretty though parking was confusing, with some spots close, and some further down the hill. Overall very peaceful and nicely located.

• Liked — Nice hostess, fabulous cat, location, and quality food
  • Disliked — Broken jet tub, grounds overhyped
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aptos
Rio Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Capitola
Seascape Resort
Seascape Resort
#3 of 6 in Aptos

Been to Sand Rock Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!