“Very So So place to stay”
Review of Seascape Resort

Seascape Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Didn't like my stay at Seascape. Overall impresiion was sort of dated (late 80's?) facilities. Stayed in a 2 bedroom villa that had no bathtub. Couldn't bathe my 4 month old. Old microwave was emitting excess heat, enough to melt candy bars on top of it (not in it). Wall unit hairdryer died every 10 seconds. Thin walls. Bathroom felt cheap (aka motel). Not friendly front desk. Nothing real positive to say about this place. Save your money, book elsewhere. Hope this helps someone avoid this place.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 21, 2008

Our group was 4 singles, 2 in wheelchairs. We stayed in 2 of their handicap accessible villas. They were perfect for accessibility.. open shower area... Caution!! floors of shower areas are a really slick tile, use caution there. Good size doorways etc.

We were away from the main area and yes they had events going on every night, but I liked the music and noise going on in the background, but can see how it'd be an issue up close.

All resort personnel went above and beyond, to assist us, from package shipments and luggage handling, to digging a personal portable hard drive out of outdoor garbage that got accidentally thrown away.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2008

This is not a 4 star resort. The ocean view was beautiful, but the first two nights we were there, there were events (weddings) at the property and the reception music was so loud that we could not hear the ocean at all and the bass reverberated throuhg our room. If you book a room in the main building, be sure to ask what kind of events are planned so you can make an informed decision about whether or not you want to put it with the noise beore you make your reservation.

We checked in at 8 pm on a Saturday night and at noon on Sunday, I handed the comment card to the conceirge - they say they want feedback so I gave it to them. My feedback was a "punch-list" of several things:
1. Carpets are visibly filthy - proof was on the bottom of my 7 and 10 year old girls' feet.
2. Toothpaste all over the front and inside of the cabinet of the bathroom.
3. Rubber bath mat was disgusting and moldy - told them they needed to invest $3 in a new mat.
4. Flush handle on toilet almost falling off.
5. Handles on both closet doors almost falling off
6. Packing tape over outlets in living room, and things plugged in through the tape.
7. Dead bugs in the corners of the floors in the kitchen and bathroom.
8. Cabinets are so old that they are sticky when you are opening them - you know that feeling like they are just caked with "goop?"
9. Bedspread was filthy - hair stuck in all over it.
10. Their "recycling" method stinks - they have a blue pastic bag that they want you to put cans and plastic in, and a white bag they want you to put paper products in, but there's nowwhere to put them so they're laying on your floor! There are several tasteful, yet economic, recycling systems with three compartments that would do nicely instead of having bags all over your floor.
11. We needed to use the sofa sleeper - and only made that mistake once. The mattress was a joke - even my 52 pound daughter found it too uncomforable, even though she pretty much floats on air. Also, there were candy wrappers and popcorn under the couch.
12. The door trim in the bathroom is metal - and old - and rusty, so it looks disgusting. I told them they needed to get out a bottle of CLR or a can of paint - sometimes a little goes a long way. Imagine beige trim with rust spots all over it.
13. The non-slip drawer liners were visibly filthy, so we didn't use any of the dishes in the room - nothing felt clean and I didn't go on vacation to wash dishes.
14. The Disney Channel is a charge to watch - which is a complete rip-off at a family resort.

On a positive note, the food is excellent and room service is lightning speed. Staff are friendly and helpful.

Overall, what I am most disappointed with is that nobody ever contacted me about all my comments. Now, if I had paid $99 a night for this room, I would expect some of this, but $375 for a crummy room and a "who cares" attitude from management? I know somebody at least read the card, because a couple things were remediated after our room was cleaned - like the junk under the couch and the nasty bath mat.

I went through a king-sized can of Clorox wipes and a bottle of Frebreeze on a vacation where we needed to get away and be pampered (that's Seascape's reputation in the Bay Area - you go there to be pampered). I most certainly will not be back. OH - and forget about checking out early if you're not happy - they charge you for one night, even if you give 72 hour notice. But it might be worth $400 just to get the heck out of here.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2008

August, 2008

My friend brought me to Seascape as a surprise getaway for my birthday. We only stayed one night, but it was most pleasant. We stayed in a one bedroom unit, with a view out over the ocean.

We arrived early in the afternoon, and the room was not quite ready but we left a cell-phone number and were told we would be called when the room was ready. In the event this was not necessary, since we waited in the lobby and a staff member came over to let us know when our room was ready.

The room itself was clean and comfortable, with a nice view over the Pacific ocean. The room was nicely decorated, and having a small kitchen was nice since we decided to cook our own breakfast in the morning, and were able to buy all of the necessary food at the small grocery store across the road. We used the balcony and enjoyed the ocean view, drinks before dinner, and the occasional golf cart driving by.

We also enjoyed sitting out on the terrace by the bar, having drinks and late lunch and looking through the trees at the ocean. The food was very good, and we enjoyed both the lunch and dinner which we had at the resort. Although this is a nice facility the dress code is informal so there is no need to bring your jacket and tie or fancy dress, unless you wish to do so.

We walked on the beach twice, and took advantage of the frequent golf cart service to return back up the hill after our second walk; a very nice touch.

For a fee the hotel will set up a fire and “Smores” (Graham Crackers, marshmallows and chocolate) for you on the beach.

As other reviewers have noted, the hot tubs do close at 10:00, which has both a downside and an upside. The downside is the lack of availability for after-dinner enjoyment, the upside is that it cuts down on late noise and partying.

It should be noted that the units are not air conditioned, which is usually not a problem except if there is a heat wave where the hot air from the California’s Central Valley blows out towards the ocean. This will happen once or twice a year, generally just for a couple of days, but if you are sensitive to heat……

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and found the staff friendly and helpful. I would recommend this for a one or two night stay, and especially as a nice place to visit to enjoy the beach.

If you are visiting the area with a view to seeing Monterey or Carmel, then this hotel is a bit removed from those towns, so you might be better off finding something closer. Look at the maps which are linked from most review sites.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Smokeyham
Reviewed July 14, 2008

My family (husband and children 5 and 7) and I just returned from a stay at Seascape Resort. We all had such a great time I needed to post a review. We normally rent a vacation home in this area, but this year stayed here.

The location could not be beat. The resort is quite large and rooms vary from studio to 2 bedroom villas. Buildings are spread out across the property so we did not feel crowded. Our family stayed a 1 bedroom ocean view suite. It was very spacious and we never felt crowded. This is very important to us traveling with kids that do not like to be couped up. The view was spectacular! Even the morning fog was beautiful. The room itself was clean and have every amenity we needed and more.

The staff was extremely pleasant. The went out of their way to help us. When we stopped to ask for information about the on site park and playground, the staff member was so nice and even drove us there on the golf cart. It wasn't that far, but he insisted. The kids thought that was great. The carts will take you anywhere in the resort, even down to the beach.

Sanderlings, the restaurant on site, had exceptional food and beautiful ocean views. The menu and wine list ware impressive. Service there was VERY attentive. They were so friendly to the kids and the Kids Meals came in little pails and shovels. I can say that that combination of fine dining and kid friendly was a hit with us!!!

And the beach, oh it was great. Quite and relaxing. No huge crowds and plenty of sand and surf to enjoy. And this is in the middle of July! There was lots of safe clean beach to explore and play on. It is a nice walk down from the main part of the hotel. We never took the golf carts down, it was such a nice walk, we wanted to enjoy it.

And the pools (there 3). We only spent a little time at the one closest to the lobby. Heated and fun. We didn't take advantage of the tennis, sports club (included in the resort fee) or spa. We were too busy at the beach. What could have made it better? A couple more days....

Overall a fantastic stay. We all want to come back.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2008

my husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay at Seascape. We are regulars at this hotel, we usually go without the kids, but this time we took our 3 boys (ages 1, 2 and 6) for a little family escape. We had a WONDERFUL stay! In my opinion, the staff is very friendly and helpful. Most of the staff went out of their way to talk to our children and ask if they were having fun, make small talk with them. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite in the main building and it was very clean, nicely decorated and spacious. Room service was speedy and efficient, they did a great job cleaning our room....really had no complaints.
We spent one afternoon in the heated pool (which was clean and nice and warm) with our kids and they had a ball! There is a bar near the pool and they give you plastic cups to have in the pool area - they even had a waitress coming around to take our orders.
You can call for a golf cart to come pick you up from your room and take you down to the beach, and then call for them to come take you back up.
My husband and I have been coming here for 7 years, we usually stay in the ocean-view studios which have always been very clean and well decorated with awesome views.
We had an amazing stay and couldn't complain about antying. For $331 a night, this is a deal - and although I agree it's not a true resort, it is a beautiful hotel with great ammenities, a wonderful restaurant, stunning landscape and great staff, would recommend this place to everyone!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank sofianroberto
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Just got back from stying here... The weird thing is that the only nice people I ever dealt with at the resort was the golf-cart guys, nice people. However the people in the lobby always look like they would rather be some where else and never even greet you with a smile. One other thing is don't even want to use the hot tub after 10PM, they close all but one of there hot-tubs at the place and there are always 15-20 people waiting to use it. I would say the place and the people who work there make it more of a high-priced hotel... I never saw an ounce of Resort while I was there.

Would not recommend for ther price.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aptos
Best Western Seacliff Inn
Capitola Hotel
#1 of 4 in Capitola
Best Western Plus Capitola By-The-Sea Inn & Suites
Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection

Been to Seascape Resort? Share your experiences!