“Great Location, Unexceptional Facilities”
Review of Seascape Resort

Seascape Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
Reviewed March 13, 2008

I stayed at the hotel for a corporate event so I didn't get a chance to use all the facilities but with that caveat here's the run-down.

First be aware that this is more a condominium property than a hotel... that's neither good or bad it's just not what I would have expected

The good... location right at the top of the cliffs overlooking the ocean, fantastic wide sandy beach, friendly staff, clean and very well maintained rooms, great views from the rooms... I could see the waves from the bedroom... food was tasty

The average... most of the hotel is decorated circa 1989... pastel colors and vertical blinds in the rooms, funky multi-building layout, and small yet two-story "villas" that are frustrating to move around, little ambiance... just had a sterile feel for such a spectacular location

Bottom line: don't go here for anything other than the beach. A good place for a family weekend with kids. Several pools. IMHO ot for a romatic getaway or a special weekend away.

Stayed: March 2008

Reviewed February 25, 2008

I've stayed at Seascape a few times before and enjoyed it, but noticed many differences this time around.
We were lucky enough to get an end room which is nice for the extra windows in the rooms. The downfall to this, though, was because of the cool weather, the room was cold due to the single-paned windows. Given the size of the living area, running the heat made the room too hot no matter what temperature we chose, so it was a constant battle of turning the heat off and on. A resort hotel of Seascape's calibre should not have these problems and I wouldn't be wrong in saying that double-paned windows are a must given the location.
Another big problem was parking. Since we had an end room situated close to where you drive in to the resort, we wanted to park somewhere near our room. Friday night we managed to find a place in the garage. Saturday night when we returned from dinner (burned pizza from across the street) there was literally no where to park on the entire property. It might have been 6:30 PM or so and the lot was filled to capacity! There was no indication of a large event taking place and by 8 AM the next morning the majority of the cars were gone. We finally opted to park in a loading zone and take our chances. Why are there not any assigned parking places? This is a huge problem. Paying top dollar as you do at Seascape, guests should not have to circle 'round and 'round looking for a parking spot even remotely close to their room.
Like others, I feel the prices are very high for what you get overall. Even at the winter special rates, it's a stretch.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NoCaTraveler
Reviewed February 19, 2008

With the many foggy beaches we have in Northern California us bay area beach lovers are hard pressed to find a weekend retreat for sun and sand-if there's any exception to the
San Francisco Fog on the water ...this is it.

I've heard a couple of theories of why this place clinging to a cliffside in Aptos seems to be less prone to fog and overcast skies that HMB, Santa Cruz. Monterey or Carmel-one being that they way it is situated on the coast it is inset and the mountains behind ther resort somehow keep the bog at bay-who knows?

What I can say for sure is that we had a Valentines Day at this resort that was like a San Diego summer day. When we arrived it was bright and sunny w/o a cloud in the sky and it stayed that way until our beach fire picnic at sunset-what a dream.

The golf carts that caddy you up and down the hill are convenient and they will take a couple of beach chairs down for you for $5 each (we brought our own since were up and down so often and had a TripAdvisor heads-up.)
Angelo the bellman was very personable and accomodating-very nice guy.

They will make a beach side fire in their cement fire pits for you for $70. I thought that price was a little high to make a fire -i read elsewhere on TripAdvisor that someone advised to bring a Duraflame log so we did and made a fire in the cement pit on the beach-perfect for the cost of the $3 log.

This place is pricey for the facilities and rooms-you're paying for the location for sure- but this is said to be the best beach in Nor cal and I agree. I do see what other TripAdvisors meant by the dated rooms. The downsides are the whitewashed birch furniture that looks like it was consigned from the set of the Golden Girls, the brass fixtures thoughout, the drab and dated painting of the exterior of the whole facility. A bellman told us this place was built in 1995-what?! I KNOW that some of this dated hotel room and pool furniture was NOT even still manufactured in 1995-they must have bought alot of furnishings used.

The upsides of the facility itself are a plasma TV and DVD/Cd player in every room, killer views in all 3 rooms we occupied (we extended our stay a bit:)

Oh-word to the wise about views...You can pay one set price for a 2 bedroom (299.00 in february w/ a promotional $50 room credit used toward dining) and the views from a 2 bedroom can vary GREATLY. The front desk automatically booked us in a 2 bedroom waaaay back and when I asked if there was one with a better view they moved us forward about 5 units where they view was FANTASTIC- that was suite 58...so ask if you have the best available room for the price you're paying.

Also-upon booking our reservation for a One Bedroom (not studio) the extra helpful Celia in reservations offered that her favorite rooms are actually THE STUDIOS (about $10 less expensive than one bedrooms per night) since those ones are on the top floor and have vaulted ceilings. She was right -I figured if anything can make a room feel "not Motel-ly" it would be vaulted celings- the room was great and still had a balcony, couch and sitting area and kitchenette...that was room 300-an end unit- great for limiting noise.

If this place put a few million into updating those dollars would be best used painting the outisde or re-doing siding, keeping up with the industry by offering better than standard beds and pillows, changing out a few of the most 80's pieces of furniture. Grounds are impeccible, staff was very nice, beach is super clean-shocking I know.

Before I had the impression that Seascape and Aptos were entirely made up of Anglo Retiree's, but over the weekend I saw many families, some with small children, and alot of diversity-nice...a really great family resort feel.

Food was excellent at Palapas (homemade tortillas) and really great at Sanderlings and at the coffeshop/cafe across the street (very inexpensive breakfast) -all 3 times.

Pool areas were simple but nice but not quite the 80 degrees they bragged about- since the fog definitely rolled in the 3rd morning of our stay it was definitely too cold to swim in them or put my 1 year old in, but the hot tub was nice & HOT for the grown ups.

I almost forgot to mention when we checked in early to the two bedroom (on the last day when our family joined us) the common area of the room wasn't cleaned yet-not too bad of a mess at all but it was a little annoying that I called Scott at the front desk and his response was "Ok-thanks for letting us know." When someone else called back to offfer a housekeeper to come I said we had already cleaned up (wiped down tables and counters, threw out trash) no biggie -but he said he could not adjust the price of the room at all. (hmm-again a little pricey for that kind of service) I guess people just expect more from a $300 room, you know?

Overall, this place could be an awesome gem that would frequently be chosen over the Ritz in HMB (Northern California's true coastal gem) if they would update the afrorementioned -but if you can afford the price and adjust your expectations a little for a $300 room-this place is overall totally satisfactory with an outstanding location.

Pack your beach chairs, Duraflame, smores supplies and ENJOY!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 3dayweekender
Reviewed February 7, 2008

We only stayed one night as we were moving our daughter back into UC Santa Cruz, but had a very nice split-level, 2-bdr unit in one of the northern-most buildings...and we liked it. Only wish we'd had more time to explore the property. It was on a special they offered their email list recipients, a little more than we like to pay, but thought we'd give it a shot. Ate at the Mexican restaurant across the street and it was very good. Would stay there more if the prices were a bit more reasonable. The staff were very friendly, helpful and answered all our questions completely.

• Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank Bank-of-Dad
Reviewed January 1, 2008

We stayed in a studio with full ocean view. Fabulous view, great sunsets, and a cozy fireplace. Weather in December was sunny and walking on the beach and around the grounds was a bit nippy but a lot of fun. We have been here for lunch and dinner a number of times and the food & service is always good. Palapas across the street is also always excellent for Mexican food. This trip we discovered the deli across the street has terrific takeout sandwiches and other goodies to bring back to the room for a picnic with a view. The fitness center down the street is worth the short drive on a cold morning.

There always seem to be weddings here on Saturday afternoon, and our weekend was no exception. We had a great view from our balcony.

My ony criticism is that there are more children running around the facilities than I would prefer. It is not just a romantic getaway, but also a family destination.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2007

I live in town and needed a place to stay for a night while some work was being done on our house. I've been asked before if this was a good place and could never answer, so thought I would stay there to see......

I knew going in that the building was ugly, but now I can tell you that the room is decorated like a prison camp, the building is completely disfunctional (there are no covered walkways), the view is miserable, and the trip from the parking garage to the elevator was a simulation of a horror movie.

The only redeeming thing is the cocktail lounge (okay), the lobby decor (okay) and the view from the main level. I have used the conference rooms before and they are well appointed and easy to get to, etc.

As far as the hotel rooms go -- this is a beach motel, not a resort. Way too expensive for crusty, ugly, formica riddled dreck.
Bleck!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank loveriodelmar
Reviewed November 9, 2007

We have stayed at Seascape three times over last 1.5 years and we'll keep coming back. We live in the Bay Area and we've not found better place on the beach within 1.5 hour drive. The weather is better compared to further south like Parjaro Dunes, Monterey and Carmel as the mountains behind the resort keep the fog from coming in. I've been on the beach where it's warm and clear and you can see the fog south of you. The beach is the best in NorCal, I compare it to SoCal beaches, without the warm water though. Rates are on the expensive side, but we've found you can ask for a Partial View room/villa and get the same blue water view as most all the other units but at lower rate. We've been in Summer, Fall, Winter with Winter being a great time to pack firewood to the beach and have an all day bonfire with the beach to yourself.

We've stayed in the North and South villas. The South has a better pool, jacuzzi, with view of ponds, palm trees and the ocean as backdrop. Our experience is that each unit is similar in decor, so it comes down to view. We recently stayed in unit 525 where the partial ocean view was direct blue ocean view over the pool.

The restaurant is fair with hotel prices, but there is a nice market directly across the street, and an upscale market just 5 minute drive in Capitola that is worth the drive. We utilize the kitchen to cook gourmet meals and enjoy dinner on either the upstairs or ground floor balcony.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank hoovergroup
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aptos
Best Western Seacliff Inn
Capitola Hotel
#1 of 4 in Capitola
Best Western Plus Capitola By-The-Sea Inn & Suites
Sanctuary Beach Resort

Been to Seascape Resort? Share your experiences!