“Beware cancellation policy!”
Review of The Bay View Hotel

The Bay View Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Aptos
The Bay View Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Aptos
San Jose
“Beware cancellation policy!”
Reviewed October 6, 2008

I booked a room with the Bayview Hotel through Hotels.com. I later found out that the wedding party had already booked rooms at a different hotel. So, I called and canceled my reservation. This was over a month before the reservation date.

I then get a call the day after the reservation date from Bayview Hotel telling me I didn't cancel my reservation. I told them I did. They then told me I had to cancel through Expedia, not by calling them directly. But I was not told this when I called!

Unfortunately, they still want to charge me the $35.80 tranasction fee charged by Expedia and InnLink.com (no idea who they are). I think this is bogus.

But what could I do other than refusing the charge? :-(

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tmunk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 25, 2008

We called the hotel directly to make reservations for 2 nites. We asked for an early check-in. They told us we could check in at noon. We arrived at noon after 6 hrs of driving and they said there was no way the maid could have the room done at noon as checkout was 11:00am. They said it would be ready at 2:00pm. We left and came back at 2:00pm and had to wait another 1/2 hour to get in our room. The staircase is very steep, the inside of the place is dark and gloomy. The room was cold so we asked for a heater. The proprietor brought a heater to us, plugged it in and every few minutes it overheated and make a loud alarm noise. She brought us another one that did work and heated the room.

The proprietor also took our AMEX card when we arrived the first time and proceeded to keep it instead of charging our room, she said something about giving us a discount when our friends arrived to stay 2 nites. We went to pay for lunch with the AMEX and realized she hadn't given it back to us yet.

When taking a shower, which was very small, the hot water scalded my back and I had trouble adjusting it after that. The towels were almost paper thin.

The food was very good, but the wait time was ridiculous. We waited about 1hour for breakfast to be served and they brought the wrong eggs, poached instead of basted.

We will not stay there again, it is very poorly managed and no one seems to be to worried about pleasing there guests.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank WeLove2travel_8
East vBay Ca.
Reviewed November 12, 2007

this place is crappy, nothing worked in the rooms . We stayed there because of a coupon book we had showing the second night free .
we called and got a verbal rate of 169.00 plus tax and they would charrge room tax only for the second night. After we got there they charged my card over $400.00. they were not friendly at all. the food which was suppose to be included in the price wasn't ,plus it was terrible. watererd down orange juice , Stale cold toast. don't stay here!!!

• Liked — Nothing!!!
  • Disliked — Having To Stay In A Crappy Place
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank meetoo1
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviewed September 19, 2007

We encountered multiple issues with this place when we stayed here for one night., after making reservations a few months prior. Most lodging is this area is very expensive. This place was not cheap but seemed like it had the potential to provide a charming stay.

We were off to a bad start when there was no one to check us in when we arrived in the late afternoon. There is no office for checking in guests -- a front waiting room that could serve this purpose had a prominent "Keep Out -- Employees Only" sign, probably because a peek in the window showed that it was very cluttered with junk, papers, half-eaten bags of junk food, and the like.

A worker at the bar attempted to help us locate the innkeeper Christine, who was not responding to the phone. This worker made two trips upstairs to try to look for her. After a 25-min wait, during which another couple also wandered aimlessly around looking for information about staying there, the innkeeper came downstairs. She didn't apologize for keeping us waiting and was not friendly at all.

After we checked in, we were shown to a room where the innkeeper, Christine, immediately apologized about some damaged, mildewy curtains that she said were damaged by water when the previous occupants had left the window open. She said she had ordered new curtains. I found this story suspicious since in this area it doesn't rain in the summer, and here we were after three months without rain. Why still she put us in that room I don't know -- my husband groused later that you would think she could have put us in a different room if she was having a problem with this one. They had plenty of vacancies when we stayed.

The room we stayed in was quiet enough, though we could hear some noise from the bar. The room was kind of dusty and not exceptionally clean, but passable. The decor was charming and was one of the best aspects of this place. The bed was kind of lumpy but gave us a comfortable night's sleep.

The bathroom was tiny, postage-stamp sized, with a small basin. There was just barely enough room for me to maneuver with any comfort, even though I am a small person.

The soap and shampoo dispensers in the shower were broken, so this made it very difficult to get any. They looked like they'd been broken for a long time because the tops of the dispensers were damaged from other people banging on them trying to get them to dispense anything.

When you showered, you needed to be alert to a sudden ten degree increase in water temperature whenever someone flushed a toilet or used the cold water somewhere else in the building. This happened twice to me while I was in the shower, and also to my husband.

This was not what we were expecting for $200/night.

When we checked in, I asked about breakfast. The innkeeper explained to me that we got breakfast up to a value of $8 and that we had to pay for anything beyond that. That would buy us pancakes and coffee -- anything fancier than that required some extra payment. In some writeups this place is listed as a "Bed & Breakfast" but it isn't really. The attached bar and restaurant are run by separate management.

Furthermore, we were attending early event the next morning, but breakfast would not be prepared by 7:30 AM when we needed it -- and they could not make accommodations for even serving us juice or cold cereal before their standard breakfast time of 8:30 AM.

She told us a number to call the chef in the morning to see if it might be possible for us to get breakfast earlier, and also wrote down our menu selections which she said she would try to pass on to the chef to help her get a head start on preparing our food.

We ended up calling and waking up a very sleepy person at 7:20 AM the next morning. The chef apparently was a tenant in the hotel, and Christine had not communicated with her. We gave up on breakfast and picked up some items at Safeway to make it to our event.

Overall, we had a terrible experience and cannot recommend this place to others. While this place has charm, there are too many strikes against it. It was a real downer and stressful for our mini-vacation to pay so much and yet encounter such inhospitality and problems with the facilities.

• Liked — decor, historic
  • Disliked — broken facilities in disrepair, poor hospitality and service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank hopefully_helpful
San Francisco
Reviewed May 21, 2007

I booked this place based on the recommendations I saw on trip advisor and was sorely disappointed when I got to this hotel. Our room was dusty and run down. The bar downstairs stayed open until late and we could hear every little bit of the fun being had. We had a similar experience in the morning by being woken up by early risers.

Both the food and service were also disappointing! I am very suspect of who ever gave this place 5 stars.

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank Rose411
San Francisco
Reviewed February 4, 2007

This place was great! The food is DELICIOUS, the service is wonderful, and the people there make you feel like you're at home. The room I got was nice and spacious, with an extremely comfortable bed. I would reccomend anyone to stay here, and I will definatley be eating and sleeping there soon again!

Stayed February 2007
2 Thank leogurly311
los angeles
Reviewed July 28, 2006

The first floor of the Bay View Hotel is a restaurant and bar that seems a throwback to old Western movies: cowboy hats and whiskey bottles, a piano always playing in the background, someone named "Frenchy" singing. It looked interesting, until I realized that I was going to spend the night there. Upstairs were 11 small rooms. Mine was filled with dusty furniture, a musty smell, and window shades that didn't quite go down. The hotel was built in 1878 and declared a state historical landmark in 1974. Quite possibly, it had not been cleaned since then.
Excess furniture--three cabinets, three mirrors--made the room seem even more cramped than it was. I could barely squeeze from the bedroom into the bathroom; maybe the 12-inch television was in the way.
Music from the bar died down around 11 p.m. After that, I could hear every footstep on the stairs, every flushed toilet in the house. Breakfast again reminded me of the Old West: greasy fried eggs and greasy fried potatoes.
"Frenchy" (Marlene Dietrich) would never have stayed at this dump, and you shouldn't either.

• Tips/Secrets — If you spend a night in Aptos, try the Seacliff Best Western or the Sand Rock Farm (superb B&B)
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled solo
5 Thank wheninroam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aptos
Best Western Seacliff Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Santa Cruz - Capitola
Capitola Venetian Hotel
Capitola Venetian Hotel
#4 of 4 in Capitola

Been to The Bay View Hotel? Share your experiences!