“It's a cemetery, not an attraction!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sunset Hills Memorial Park
Apple Valley, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“It's a cemetery, not an attraction!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I live in Apple Valley and have been to Sunset Hills or have driven by it on numerous occasions. The view from the cemetery is spectacular, especially at sunset- thus the name. My father is buried there and I have been to a memorial anniversary service for Roy Rogers at the memorial park. Both Roy Rogers and Dale Evans are buried there. It is the nicest of the three cemeteries in the Victor Valley. I cannot speak about the administration of the facility, since I haven't dealt with them directly. Yes, they do use an artificial turf in places and yes, it could look much nicer than it does, but otherwise, it is a beautiful place.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank SteveT73

Apple Valley, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Not At All Helpful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband's brother past away and his ashes are buried here. My husband is just now starting to feel the gravity of his loss and felt it important to visit his ashes there. He is a full time student who commutes back and forth an hour each way to the university he attends. Therefore, he only has free time on the weekends. When we drove up I expected the appearance to blow me away. It was upon first impression very pretty. On closer inspection... The fake grass they have installed in parts of the cemetery around headstones does not appear to be properly installed. The sides are turning up in some areas and without a border in others making it very apparent that it is indeed fake. While the chapel seemed very nice, it also had unfinished details. The railing on one part of the stairs going up to the door didn't have a hand rail, just the posts with the metal barbs sticking up out of the railings.

That is not even including the people that attended the site. My husband and I came on a Sunday afternoon around Three O'clock. We parked and as we were walking up to the door two men rushed out and asked rather rudely what we needed. Standing outside the doorway we asked how we could go about looking up where his brothers ashes were stored. They told us we would have to return on a weekday and ask the lady that sits at a table inside the chapel. She would have a list of names and grave sites. They basically blocked the doorway as though we were going to charge through. My husband and I walked around looking for his plaque and of course it was impossible to find without any direction. While he was looking I watched the two men who stopped us at the door (who did work there by the way, they were wearing sunset hills name tags) and they were simply standing at the door. My husband and I think that there was a funeral happening which we were totally respectful of. It just seems like they would have been able to help us locate his plaque. It's not as if they were busy doing anything else. I feel like they should simply be more respectful of people who are grieving. This was the first time my husband felt emotionally ready to think and talk about his brother and to visit him. Instead he walked around searching for him and turning up blank. Leaving more confused and frustrated than at peace like he suspected he would leave feeling.

Visited April 2013
4 Thank Cindy R
craig o, Public Relations Manager at Sunset Hills Memorial Park, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
I am so very sorry to hear your husband was unable to locate his brother’s grave. We set aside Sunday as a day off for the staff who generally assist with locations and other customer service issues. The directors, who attend to services, are not able to access the files containing burial information. Otherwise, knowing the two men working the service would have been very happy to help. Please call us in advance of your next visit and will we will make sure mark your brother in law’s space for your ease in locating.
We agree there are challenges with artificial turf as you mentioned that go with the reduced water consumption, year round greenness, and ease of maintenance in otherwise difficult areas. We have several projects in the works which we expect to get completed in the near future including the completion of the railings on the west end of the chapel, the horse’s stable, two mausoleum projects, and the improvements to the wedding and event areas behind the chapel. We are small and not corporate, but always looking to improve the property and families’ experiences here…sometimes it does take longer than we’d like. Thank you for the feedback, and I hope we are able to better meet your needs and expectations in your future visits.
El Segundo, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Pretty ....terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Lovely views....peaceful setting...beautiful chapel...resting place of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans... beyond that it's a terrible place!!! It took over 6 months to get my mom's ashes buried. Oh, they happily took our money- and then played games with us for months!!! The management does NOT CARE about this place, all they care about is your money. Do you like the fountains and flowing streams? They only turn them on when they know someone is looking at buying a plot in that area. Maintenance? pretty much non-existent. Drainage is terrible and mud flows cover quite a bit of the Rock garden and markers every time it rains. Management knows - and does nothing. What other cemetery do you know that uses CHEAP ARTIFICIAL TURF in their cremains area? This cheap stuff has wrinkles and folds in it in between markers. Dead and dying flowers are left on graves for months at a time. A local crazy woman spends her evenings in the 'park' stealing all the little mementos family members have left. Management knows- again, no action. Nice to visit here but think carefully before having a love one interred.

Visited January 2013
5 Thank Travel R
It was nice to visit with you recently and want to again express my sympathy to you for the delay in completing a more timely interment of your mom’s urn. Any lack of completed authorization will put interments on hold. Every detail must be in order for us to legally do a burial.
We are watchful of the streams and waterfalls. They are set on a timer and run typically from around 10-4 daily. There are exceptions, but they not only add beauty to the park, but provide the activity for the health of the fish. I’ll be keeping a closer eye on their operation. The turf, while providing consistent green and water use reduction, can be a challenge at times keeping clean and neat. It works well in some areas more than others. I am told that mud flow issue has been addressed and corrected.
Thank you for your feedback and if you have other specific concerns I can help you with, please don’t hesitate to call or stop by.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Love this Cemetery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is the coolest cemetery in the High Desert. It is beautifully located (great views) and has a big lake with swans. It is so pretty that the community holds classy functions here, and many weddings. I personally like the tombs they built up in the rocks for families. Very unique. Some trivia: Roy and Dale Rogers are buried here,

Visited November 2011
3 Thank lcourtney
A long overdue "Thank you!" for the kind words. We love when visitors can use the word "cool" when talking about Sunset Hills. Just to keep it real, we have gold fish in the ponds, but sadly no swans. Thanks again!
Southern Cal
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Final resting place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

This cemetery is beautiful and peaceful. The chapel has a floor to ceiling window that looks Southwest, over the Victor Valley. The waterfall, the lake, and knowing that Roy Rogers and Dale Evans are buried here make it very special.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Leesielee
Thank you for visiting and for the the kind words!