“Quiet rooms, nice pool, dog friendly”

Best Western Plus Cedar Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Angels Camp
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We are always seeking out dog friendly hotels, we travel with our 50 lb shepard mix and she wants space to move. Besides the room being very spacious, there is a large gravel area behind the hotel for additional parking of towed vehicles and it was perfect for running our little girl. They provide clean up bags (although many people still don't clean up after their dogs, yuck). Besides a little refrigerator and microwave, there was a second sink in the room outside the bathroom, this made it super easy for both of us to get ready in the morning. My comment on the breakfast is that they had fruit, yogurt, lots of cereal and make your own waffles, so I could pass of the breakfast sandwich. We had none of the issues previously stated with the staff, they were all friendly and knowledgeable, they gave us a little slip of paper when we checked in with all the hours and information about the amenities at the hotel. Best of all, it was quiet, except for a few people that let their doors slam shut when they left, we didn't hear much of anything.

Room Tip: While some rooms have a balcony, the balcony looks onto the parking lot, so chose a room on the othe...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RLRaceGirl
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Cedar Inn & Suites

Reviewed March 24, 2012

I liked most everything about this place except the encounters I had on March 10 and 11 with a tall, young man working at the desk who was more interested in whatever he was doing on a computer in another room than in being gracious to hotel guests.

The man working on the evening of March 10 was pleasant and recommended a Chinese restaurant at which we had a good meal.

Breakfast was basic and a bit odd. When we searched around we found breakfast sandwiches that we heated in a microwave.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wonderfulworld
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We chose this over the Angel's Inn, where we have stayed before and enjoyed, because of the exercise room, which my special needs niece needs for her daily therapy. We arrived about 6 p.m., after calling to let them know we'd be later than the 3 p.m. check in noted in our reservations. There was no one in the lobby, but we could hear a phone conversation taking place somewhere. We stood for awhile, then I started exploring to find the source of the voice. When the clerk, who was outside talking on his cell noticed me, he hung up, rushed in, rushed us through check in, then started to rush back out. I stopped him and asked if we could have a smaller room (we had reserved a 2 room suite), as one of our party had to stay home ill. He ignored me at first, then when I pressed it, he said there was nothing else available. Even though the "vacancy" sign was lit and visible from the office, he didn't bother to check. We were tired, so we just went with it. I then asked for my Best Western Harley points, and he again brushed me off. He gave us a cursory run through of where our rooms were, then bolted out the door to his cell phone again before we even had a chance to get out of the lobby. I was very disappointed. He also did not inform us about breakfast, or the hours for the exercise room, which we had hoped to get to early the next morning (they don't open till 7). We did speak to someone else the next morning, who apologized for him, said he had worked an extra long shift, blah-de-blah-blah, and that he was very sorry. That fellow was professional and polite, the rooms were very nice, clean and quiet, although a little spendy, the breakfast was decent and fresh, but that first impression was very very bad. I will stay at the Angel's Inn in the future.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This was my third stay at the Best Western Cedar Inn and once again found it a nice place to stay. The location, in the heart of the Mother Lode, can't be beat. My cousin and I were in the area for wine tasting and a little shopping, and we couldn't have been happier with our stay. In the past two visits, I had stayed there with my husband. Both times we had a room with king bed and a little gas fireplace. This visit, my cousin and I had a room with 2 queen beds and were told there are no 2 queen rooms that have a fireplace. We were a little disappointed, as it's nice to turn on the little fireplace on cold mornings while having coffee!

Check in was quick and easy, and the desk clerk was friendly. The lobby area is tidy and had a couple types of magazines with info on what to see and do in Calaveras County. They had a rack with the little pamphlets on touristy destinations, but found most weren't from the local area.

The rooms are very nice... good size and very clean. The beds and pillows were quite comfortable and we slept very well. The beds have the old school blankets on them which was a bit of a negative, but the bedding seemed very clean. The bathrooms are standard, but again, very clean. The rooms are quiet, away from the road, so no traffic noise, even tho the hotel is right on Hwy 49. We had neighbors on each side and never heard noise from either side. The rooms have hair dryer, coffee maker, refrigerator and microwave. All rooms open to the outside, so no interior hallways. There isn't an elevator, so if stairs are an issue for you, request a first floor room. They have flat screen tvs in the rooms which are decent size and adequate. All rooms have free wireless internet which we didn't use, but good to know for future stays.

They have a complimentary continental breakfast, which I have never tried, so can't comment on that. Altho, it does look to be quite satisfactory.

Angels Camp is such a cute little town with fun shops (check out Stories in Stone!) and a couple of good restaurants. Crusco's is an excellent Italian restaurant right in the heart of town. Angels Camp is a central location to visit Calaveras Big Trees, the whole Calaveras wine country, Moaning Caverns, and many historic Goldrush locations.

We will definitely return to the Best Western Cedar Inn & Suites. It's really perfect for visits to that section of the Mother Lode.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2012

After my stay in Yosemite, it was a pleasure to check into this clean, modern room. Cost was extremely modest. No complaints whatsoever about the room or service.
There is nothing at all to do in this town but it is on the way to somewhere!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank drmmink
Reviewed December 31, 2011

The staff member I spoke to on the phone was friendly, the check-in people were also friendly. Our room was clean, had fresh smelling towels, hot water, internet, two sink areas (in and out of the bathroom), fridge, micro and coffee pot. The only things I could say need improvement would be a better bathroom exhaust fan, the vanity lights buzzed, and perhaps in-room tea. The mattress wasn't stellar but we noticed a heap of brand new mattresses that were just delivered. Breakfast was pretty standard (cereal, egg sandwiches, DIY waffles etc). By the looks of the town, this is probably THE nicest place you will get within 100 clicks so I'd definitely stay here again if I'm in the area. To the people with the little dog- just because you paid $1500 for him doesn't mean people have to bend rules for you. My asthmatic husband appreciates those rules. If you had a $1500 cigar would you be able to smoke it in a non-smoking room? No. Our room was very clean because of those rules. I highly recommend Best Western Plus in Angels Camp.

Room Tip: We had room 116 (double) which was against the property line fence near the rear (area with most ava...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed here so we our family of 5 including a 2/4/9 year old. We were very comfortable and very pleased with our stay. Breakfast was perfect and location suited our needs. We went to the California Caverns and the Calavaras Big Tree park. Both were convenient and shopping around the area of the motel was great.

Two Thumbs up!

#2 of 7 in Groveland
Travelodge Angels Camp CA
Travelodge Angels Camp CA
#3 of 5 in Angels Camp

Been to Best Western Plus Cedar Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!