“Surprises with Refreshing Serene Elegance: "Green" Hotel just off I-5.”

Gaia Hotel & Spa Redding, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Anderson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 13, 2010

We chose this hotel as an overnight while driving Seattle to Phoenix.

Location: Just off the I-5, which was a plus for us. Some buildings are further from the freeway than others, so if this is a concern, ask to be away from it. Grounds are VERY nicely maintained. Attractive while focused on low-water-use landscaping. The swans have 5 ducklings now that were following their parents in a line, learning to duck their heads under the bridge... some are still working on it and come to a dead stop, stare at the bridge, and then finally drop their heads.

Price: AMAZING... delighted to think we got this place for what the other typical boring chain hotels nearby cost. This feels like a spa retreat hotel.

Service: Great! We arrived around midnight, and the guy at the front desk (sorry, didn't note his name, he's from NJ originally) was not only nice and welcoming, when we asked about the ownership and history of the hotel, he spent the time to tell us quite a bit; many interesting facts. When we asked if our room had a fridge available (for medication), he said it showed so on the computer, but actually RAN to the room to verify this for sure so we wouldn't be inconvenienced moving to another room had there not been a fridge. From him we learned that this hotel isn't just "going green" on the surface to capture sales - the owner is TRULY committed to these initiatives.

Room: Relaxing and attractive, very large room. The King bed was very comfortable, with a great mattress, 100% cotton linens, fluffy comforter, variety of pillows. Very restful night of sleep. Someone else had said they couldn't sleep at all against the freeway - our room (213) was probably the one closest to the I-5, and although we could still hear it a bit with the windows closed and the fan going, it didn't affect our sleep AT ALL! (If I were a light sleeper, I'd always travel with earplugs).

Green angle: Very nicely done. On the back of the map to our room was a list of 100 ways the hotel is green. Wen I saw the website emphasizing their "greenness,"I was concerned we would feel in the heart of hard-core conservationists, self-conscious that we don't drive a hybrid. Happy to say the emphasis is really on the extensive efforts on the construction and operations of the hotel and grounds being green, NOT on forcing it on guests. We were encouraged to participate in separating trash/recycle, and to reuse towels; that's about it, aside from being inspired that a green operation could be so upscale.

$7/room for the breakfast buffet was a GREAT value! This breakfast is made in the same award-winning restaurant on property, so the quality of the food made a happy difference for us from the typical chain hotel breakfast. Hot fluffy scrambled eggs with cheese, seasoned breakfast potatoes, and excellent quality crispy bacon and sausage, fresh fruit, juice, good quality coffee, and full Belgian waffles made to order. We did wait a few minutes for fresh restocking of the buffet, dishes, and cups, however a large group had arrived in the dining room just before us and had cleaned the food out. We also chose to come to breakfast soon before it closed, so a rush can be expected during that time. I appreciate the fact that they don't make too much ahead of time and leave it sitting out getting gross - I'd rather wait a few minutes and have it fresh.

Noted nice conference center as well, multiple rooms..

Liked best: Upgaded comfortable beds, free wi-fi in the room without having to get a code or pay,stunning breakfast deal for only $3.50 per person for us.

Liked least: Having to leave so soon to get back on the road! They offer a full Sunday brunch open to the public from 10-2 for only $10 that sounded delightful, and everyone raves about the same restaurant for dinner as well.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Gaia Hotel & Spa Redding, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Reviewed May 20, 2010

In a neighborhood of bland franchise hotels, the Gaia is a modern, hip, and truly eco-conscious hotel. Most hotels just ask you to re-use your towels; the Gaia lists one hundred observable ways they conserve and reuse resources. Great furnishings and linens. Parking for RVs, small trucks, and trailers. The restaurant adjoining is excellent, and prepares their salmon just right. The resident swans in the lagoon are tolerant of humans, but not friendly; Mrs. Swan was sitting on five eggs. Not much within walking distance, but plenty in a short drive away. Only one criticism: the free wireless internet signal was weak in my room.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I love this hotel! If there were one in every city I'd never stay anywhere else. Fabulous rooms, great lagoon/courtyard, wonderful, upscale restaurant and bar, lovely pool, LCD TV, totally green practices and $99 or less -- on a weekend! Our only problem on the night of our stay was that a wedding, prom and community benefit dinner were all going on at the same time. An excellent venue for all three

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I loved the Gaia Hotel. I stayed here on a road trip from Southern California up to Spokane, Washington. Gaia was a perfect stop location, and such a lovely place to relax after a long day of driving. The grounds were absolutely beautiful. Earthy but upscale. The ponds and fountains were so peaceful, and the black and white swans roaming the property were beautiful.

An excellent bonus was that it was pet friendly! I traveled with my dog and it was an extra $25 for her, but worth it. The grounds were perfect for walking around with her. They have lovely paths throughout the hotel (although it did take some time for my dog to take to the woodchips instead of grass).

The room was very nice too, with its own patio area. Nice big bed and clean upscale room and bathroom. It was so nice I'll even forgive the Al Gore book they had sitting out by the phone in the room (it is a 'green' hotel, so I guess that goes with the theme!).

I don't know if the rates have since increased, because I believe I got a steal since it had recently opened ($89 for a king room).

I plan to stay here again this summer when I do another road trip. It really is a lovely place.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I have waited to write this because I was trying to get some response from the Gaia Hotel to issues we had with our stay. It really looks like they tried to have good facilities however their execution in day to day operations and details is there weakness. we had many issues as we came back up to the Redding area during our anniversary. 1st the room the gave us did not reflect what we reserved (and read and saw on their website - they told us that was removed - I sent them the website info which was still there when we got home). Our reservations said that we would have a complementary organic breakfast as well as a newspaper on our doorstep - they said we were wrong (we were not - remember they have not responded). We finally received a room that we wanted, yet upon entering the room we found gum on the bathroom floor, a bottle cap was on the toilet tank top in clear view. After cleaning the room the following day the coffee was not refilled. All these things, if only by itself would give me pause, however the combination of problems we had and no reasonable response by the ownership or even a manager is not acceptable in the hotel and lodging industry. Then try to find a spa schedule or other information about the facility and you cannot. This is not a hotel and spa, it is a hotel with a jacuzzi tub....

Walt Disneys famous quote is "the magic is in the details" and I am sorry that the Gaia Hotel does not do details well.

ps don't take this as a swing at the restaurant there. The Woodside Grill deserves a special trip for dinner or especially for breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank uppityMo
Reviewed April 23, 2010

Rooms were clean, but the service and amenities left a lot to be desired. There was no hand soap, no tissues and no laundry bag. These items were requested at the front desk at 10 a.m. and were to be sent to the room. We returned to the room at 3:30pm and still no soap or laundry bag and the room still had not been made up. Lighting was very poor, shower was not user friendly and we did not appreciate the political propaganda forced upon us by having Al Gore's book "An Inconvenient Truth" in the room. It seems they are more interested in pushing global warming than catering to their guests needs. I would not stay there again, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2010

GAIA ANDERSON (name change? – there is another Gaia just south of Napa in American Canyon) is a peaceful oasis about 9 miles south of Redding, CA. A “green” hotel with a lagoon in the middle and the Sacramento River on one side (rooms with a river view about double the price of those on the lagoon).

The room I had was quite spacious, very clean, with a great bed. Flat panel TV (with many stations available), a comfy reading chair, work desk, micro/refrig, and a small patio with Adirondack-like chairs. The bed was quite comfortable and the heat/ac worked well.
The staff was courteous but not warm. I did not eat in the restaurant but it looks somewhat upscale- as are the prices.

This place gives you a lot for your money- reserve on line for the best rates.

I will stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anderson
Oxford Suites Redding
Red Lion Hotel Redding
#13 of 37 in Redding
Best Western Plus Hilltop Inn
La Quinta Inn & Suites Redding

Been to Gaia Hotel & Spa Redding, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!