Gaia Hotel & Spa Redding, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Oregon
“Just say No”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

It’s my own fault for taking the short cut and making the reservation based on the star rating alone and not reading the reviews here and other sites (hotels,com). Being a business traveler having internet access is imperative. From time to time a hotel’s internet has some daily issues; That’s understandable. The Gaia hotel internet works only in their lobby and not in the ROOMS(Since DEC 2012).
Checking the posted reviews this is not an isolated issue but clearly a management decision not to provide WIFI service to the guest; since as per the posted reviews the in room internet has not been available since December of last year. Yet they still feature WIFI in their description.
The room was very spacious, clean and the bed comfortable.
Poor TV signal

Being Leed certified is admirable but translated to a dimly lit room and natural landscape (weeds and dirt). Not having Wi-Fi in 2013 is the same as not having hot water in a hotel room for the business traveler. No in room WIFI for almost 4 months! Seriously!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
KatyL749, Manager at Gaia Hotel & Spa Redding, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I would first like to thank you for staying with us; we truly appreciate and value your business. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent experience at our hotel. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room. We strive to give all of our guests’ clean and comfortable accommodations. I apologize for our current lack of wireless internet in the guest rooms. We are currently in the process of a major upgrade to our guest room wireless internet. During this time we do have wireless internet in our lobby and restaurant. We anticipate having this project completed sometime in May. Thank you again for staying with us, and I hope to see you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I have stayed here four times and enjoyed it every time. Nice quiet and out of a busy area.
The bed was so comfy I would like to have it at my home. The food is good but a little pricey.
Did not use the WiFi.

Room Tip: We got the AARP rate.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
KatyL749, Manager at Gaia Hotel & Spa Redding, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
I would first like to thank you for staying with us; we truly appreciate and value your business. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent experience at our hotel. We really appreciate your continued business and look forward to seeing you again!
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We booked this last minute on Hotwire on our way North. We found the property to be very clean and comfortable. The linens were nice, the bed was comfortable, the grounds were relaxing. We enjoyed watching the swans from our window.

We didn't eat at the restaurant or attempt to use WiFi, so I can't offer any advice there. We did make a mental note that there was no fridge or microwave. The place is designed to give a "Zen" Feel. I wouldn't really consider it a family hotel. We were quite happy. We were in building one and noticed no animal smells or anything of that nature.

We would stop in again.

Room Tip: Building 3 is furthest from the highway
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
California
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I was really looking forward to staying here as they claim to be Eco friendly and the reviews were really good. But....... The room was dark and dank. It had a foul dirty order to it and after getting both the baby and preschooler asleep I turned the ac off to sleep for the night and then the urine smell consumed our room. Being alone with many belongings and two sleeping babes I decided to close the bathroom door in hopes it would tone it down and not call for a new room. This helped but still really gross. I did have wifi even though the front desk said it wasn't working and it was major disappointed that the pool was not open. Another thing, the hotel charged extra for my service dog. With by law is illegal and they had to refund this to me. Not going to stay here again. The best western a few exits south was way nicer for the same rate.

Room Tip: Stay away from pod B room 137. Yuck!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KatyJ79, Manager at Gaia Hotel & Spa Redding, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at the Gaia Shasta Hotel, and thank you for taking the time to make comments on our Trip Advisor page. We strive to provide you with clean and comfortable accommodations, and I apologize that your room was not up to par. We will take additional measures to ensure that the odor in the room you stayed in is taken care of. I would like to also apologize for the confusion on charging you a pet fee, it is not our hotel policy to charge for service animals. We really appreciatte your feedback, and be given the chance to make corrections in areas that need improvement.
Sonoma, California
Reviewed April 2, 2013

very comfortable bed and large and clean room.. Energy efficient lighting made it impossible to read in the room. The resident SWANS are fabulous. The restaurant attached to the Hotel was excellent. There was NO wifi in the rooms.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
KatyJ79, Front Office Manager at Gaia Hotel & Spa Redding, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at the Gaia Shasta Hotel, and thank you for taking the time to make comments on our Trip Advisor page. We strive to provide you with comfortable accommodations! We are glad that you enjoyed your meal at the Woodside Grill, I have shared your comments with the staff, and they are very appreciative of receiving such positive feedback! Our resident swans have four eggs in their nest we hope you will be able to come back when the babies arrive! Again, thank you for staying at the Gaia Shasta Hotel, we look forward to seeing you in the future!
Oortland, OR
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Booked via Hotwire 3 1/2 stars, $103.00 with taxes and fees. Rooms are very clean and updated. Property is definitely dated, lobby is sparse. Construction is 1970's "pod" style, and no elevators...normally not a big deal but if you have big bags or can't do stairs, could be. Our first room was ground level with sliding glass doors. Ours had only the flimsy lock on the handle, no other security. There was a bar to pull down, but it didn't go all the way across. Switched to upstairs room.

Free Internet, continental breakfast...however, Internet not working in the rooms.

Overall not a great deal when compared to others in the class, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We often stay in Redding area hotels while visiting family or driving to SoCal and this time we stayed at hotel not far outside as they were having a 'winter sale' bringing the price 15% down to under $80 for a king room including taxes. I would stay there again for one night, but not for a longer stay.
I liked the property and that our ground floor room had a sliding glass door to a little sitting area. Strangely only a handful of rooms had seats outside, which is quite a shame as it reduces the possibility of enjoying the grounds and the value of the space. The buildings where the rooms themselves are all arranged are in an 'O' shape. You enter from the inside of the O so that the rooms taper out from the entrance. The shape was interesting. Expedia lists refrigerators upon request, so I expected ours to not have one, though my son did find it in the closet.
Wifi is not available in room; perhaps there is a ethernet option that I missed. However, the front desk confirmed that wifi was lobby only (which isn't convenient to most rooms and not a very comfortable place to relax).
The pool is closed due to accessibility requirements not being met.
The restaurant onsite needs to have more no-pork breakfast options (even Denny's has turkey bacon and chicken sausage!). As I'm also gluten-free, it meant we decided to make a drive for breakfast when I would have preferred to have eaten onsite.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have a nice patio area (may need to pilfer seating from other rooms).
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anderson
Fairfield Inn & Suites Redding
Hilton Garden Inn Redding
Oxford Suites Redding
Oxford Suites Redding
#3 of 36 in Redding
Hampton Inn & Suites Redding
Best Western Plus Hilltop Inn
Baymont Inn & Suites Anderson

Been to Gaia Hotel & Spa Redding, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!