Gaia Hotel & Spa Redding, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
GreenLeadersGold level
Palm Harbor, Florida
“Not a 4 star resort”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The room was quite large and the bed was comfortable. I couldn't complain about the noise as it was almost empty. The room was clean and had the normal amenities like soap, coffee, microwave, fridge, hairdryer, etc. It was nice to have the bigger towels and extra ones (not the cheap scratchy ones like Motel 6)

If you're in to water ponds with lots of algae and dead grass due to not being watered and "sparse" landscaping, then this is the place for you. The grounds have a "tired", lack of maintenance feel about them.

I enjoyed the bar/restaurant and it appeared to be about half guests and half locals. The staff knew all the regulars and were friendly to everyone. The clam chowder (Fridays only) was excellent. Good choice of wines, although it was limited to only California wines. (part of their "green" program to get everything within a reasonable distance from the hotel)

It was over 100 degrees when I was there so I was glad the airconditioner worked so well. Maybe just me, but I went by it when I came off the freeway as the signage is not that great. Lots of free parking.

Room Tip: The pool is at the rear of the restaurant/meeting room building if you want to be close or avoid it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank calvinater1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Bandon, OR
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed in a handicapped room, had two wonderful swims, a great sleep in a comfy king-sized bed, appreciated the refrigerator (and microwave) (both of which are in every room), but the bathroom floor was very slippery. I fell down. I called the manager (Peter), and he was outstanding in his response to me and my suggestion they do something with the flooring. He appreciated my calling his attention to this problem, and I was highly appreciative of his response. We are staying there again on our way to visit my husband's family. Great half-way point.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Corning, CA
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here for a friends Wedding. The Wedding ceramony was in a beautiful spot near the Sacramento River. The hotel is considered "Green", meaning they don't have landscaping every thing is natural. I am not a fan of moss in the water falls, tall weed grass and that type of landscaping so I wasn't impressed. The room was very large and had the basics. I felt it was a little dark and the view was the freeway, but for the purpose we were there, it was fine. If you are traveling on Interstate 5, and need a place to stay, it is clean, and nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Burney,Ca
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We have stayed here before and gave it a very good review, but things have changed. First off the chain that owns the hotel went bankrupt and now the bank is running things. There seems to be less maintenence taking place and it shows. The pond is starting to smell and there were a lot of swan mess on the sidewalks. The patios outside the rooms are starting to fall apart and the place just isn't as clean as it used to be. That being said, it is still a good option for the Redding/Anderson area. The front desk is always helpful and the onsite restaurant "Woodside Grill" is usually very good. The rates are very good for the area and being near the freeway is convenient as long as your not on the noisy side of the hotel. We have started staying at the Oxford Suites in Redding lately and only chose the Gaia because of the lower rate and the fact that we wanted to eat at Woodside Grill. Hopefully someone will take it back over and start giving it some TLC again. It's nice to have one of the few LEED certified hotels in the countries to stay at but the place needs to careful not to let it get rundown much more than it has.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the pond or at least away from I-5 and maybe upstairs to avoid the room ful...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cory H
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

After finding no room at the inns in Redding on the weekend before July 4, my brother and I, on a short trip through Norcal and Oregon, were directed to the Gaia. Check-in was quick and easy. Very friendly staff. The only problem was that there was a wedding party that night, so parking was difficult to find. Also, no elevators to the second floor, so if this is a must for you ask for a first floor room. Rooms were very clean, but nothing special. Everything was comfortable but nothing extravagant. Breakfast was buffet style- a little pricey since we weren't expecting that, but good nonetheless. Chefs were friendly and walked around asking how things were. Nice touch. Checkout was quick and friendly. I can't comment on the spa treatment, but overall, a decent stay. I would say it was a step above an Embassy Suites, or something similar. If you're just looking for a room, it might be a little pricey, but decent experience all around.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Arminius1
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Super helpful/friendly Staff. The grounds were well laid out. Nothing special about the pool and hot tub, not bad, just nothing special. Booked a 2 queen bed room with patio. Large room, sparsely furnished... 1chair for 3 adults AND no furniture on the patio! For the price and if I were in the area, I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Reading the reviews we were expecting a 4.7/5 experience. The Staff was great, the eco landscape was well done. The room was a “River View”, that looked at I5, no river in sight. Of note, if we had a room about 3 down we would have had a river view room. The room was very spacious, but sparse, we had a patio, with no furniture, just a cement slab, to look at the freeway. By Deluxe for a room description, they should have said dead space, not deluxe. As claimed, they did not have a recycle bin, it was only a trash can.

We heard great things about the breakfast, we went and it was below average (We’ve had worse). First off, It took a long time to get our food, the waitress apologized and even gave us a discount (we did not complain, wait staff was friendly). I order the gaia breakfast, and my wife ordered the tofu scrabble. The gaia breakfast had eggs cooked to my expectations, but the “grilled” potatoes were cold and undercooked, and the toast was cold. The tofu scrabble also had the same potatoes issues, the marinated tofu did not have any flavor, it appeared raw from the package, the only flavor was the butter that it was swimming in.

Overall we were not impressed, not a high lite on the trip, but it will be a conversation piece.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anderson
Hilton Garden Inn Redding
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,259 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Redding
Baymont Inn & Suites Anderson
Best Western Plus Hilltop Inn

Been to Gaia Hotel & Spa Redding, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member? Share your experiences!