“Rude staff!!!”

The Katella Palms Hotel at Disneyland Resort
Ranked #84 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
La Mesa, CA
Reviewed August 6, 2005

I reserved a room to stay at the Katella Palms for the last week in July. When I called to inquire about the accomodations, the front desk clerk was not only rude, but apathetic and appeared annoyed that I was wasting his time with any questions. I cancelled my reservation on the spot. If that is the type of person that is the first contact with a potential guess, count me out!

Stayed: July 2005

Reviewed August 4, 2005

Caution - don't accept rooms 248-251 or 345-348, 152, 252, 200, 100 or 145-147. These are located above/next to a fricking dance hall. Great for Wedding receptions full of Drunk patrons blasting music until 3 AM. No kidding, we made the mistake of staying there to enjoy Disney's 50th - so did a Mexican wedding party. BIG MISTAKE. They would not allow us to change rooms, and the lady (night desk chick $%##!!) was as rude as can be. Joeseph, the previous night guy was magnificant - he knew what courtesy and service was all about. But was absent for a day during the party. The dance hall is converted motel rooms, so you could not tell by looking at the rooms what was inside. I felt bad for telling my kids to walk softly on the floor so we wouldnt' disturb the people downstairs.

The rooms was not badly outfitted, relatively modern. But the miad service turned off the A/C every time we left the room. At least the Pool worked.

There is NO Wireless Internet in the rooms. Only at the front reception area of the motel. And it's $10 per hour. Their advertising was VERY misleading in that respect.

Shuttle service to Disneyland was exceptional, and the Men (non-caucasian) at the front desk were professional. They helped us book LA tours, and lots of other little things, but the caucasian females were low in the gene pool of courtesy and service. Very strange.

We left wondering if we should have just stayed the Disneyland Hotel.

5  Thank Ameer S
Bakersfield, CA
Reviewed August 2, 2005

My family and I stayed here on July 30th, 2005. I can’t believe that this was a good neighbor hotel through Disney. The staff was very rude and unhelpful. The toilet leaked all over the floor, the carpet was nasty. The room smelled like mold. If you are planning to have an enjoyable Disney weekend FIND ANOTHER HOTEL.

Reviewed July 24, 2005

I am really shocked at some of the reviews on here about this place. I have now stayed there twice-- and the second time was because of the good experience I had the first time!

If you want to be pampered, loved, and adored, go stay at an expensive Disney hotel down the street. This hotel is great for those on a budget and families. Honestly, you're going there for Disneyland, how much time are you really in the hotel anyway? I spent an afternoon lounging around the pool and had a great time!

The rooms both times were above average in size, with a king size bed. The TV worked, the shower had hot water, the sink taps turned on and everything was always immaculately clean. Basically, I got what I was needed.

The free shuttle to Disneyland is a huge bonus as most hotels don't have them now. It runs on schedule, sometimes more trips are added to take extra passengers and the driver is a really nice guy. The restaurant has incredibly fast service and you get a discount for being a hotel customer.

I never had any problems with service, so either I got very lucky on two seperate trips, or... you get back what you put out. :)

• Stayed: May 2005
11  Thank ParisianHoneymooner
Reviewed July 23, 2005

Read the other reviews for a more thorough explanation of why you should avoid this place - they were right on (except for the mysterious good ones - who are these people??)
Very, very dirty. We had two beds, and we two adults switched with the kid because our mattress was broken and hers wasn't. Only one ice machine worked. No parking at night. Very dirty. Shower hot then cold then hot then cold then hot. Boogers on walls, bedspreads unbelievably dirty, hair in blankets, incredibly dirty floors. Wow, really bad.
But the very worst thing of all is that AAA passed this place and that it got included as a Disney partner hotel and it is expensive! Something is really wrong with those things. I've been disappointed by AAA twice this year, they're really slipping, and Disney is usually very with-it and with higher standards.

4  Thank MDinDenver
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 21, 2005

After booking our complete trip online, I found this forum with reviews of hotels and was quite frankly afraid of what we might find at Katella Palms. Unfortunately, most reviews were true. There were six of us traveling, therefore we had two rooms and found the same probelms to be true in both. While the rooms were not filthy, the furniture and fixtures seemed old and worn out. Rooms were spacious but so many problems existed it took anyway any advantage from size. Bathroom water pressure was nearly non existent and the shower in one of our rooms leaked and flooded the bathroom floor every time it was used. We requested additional bed pillows on three separate occasions before we finally got some from the maid on routine cleaning. The hotel itself is located in the middle of an office/industrial complex and we were awaken by industrial paving cleaners at 4 am on our second night there. Although a safe was in both rooms, neither had keys available. In addition, we were never told a daily charge and key deposit applied. Perhaps the most irritating thing about our stay at Katella Palms was the rudeness of the front desk employees. While we were there, a sign advertising for front desk help was displayed. Hope they get someone good! Both morning and evening crews were rude and unhelpful. The man driving the shuttle bus back and forth to Disneyland was just plain obnoxious. He was rude to the people getting on and off and had no patience for one particular family trying to load small children. We ate at the hotel restaurant for breakfast each morning. While the building itself is old and on the days we were there, the ladies room was flooded, the food and the wait staff were pretty good. Our waiter on two separate occasions was a young man who normally worked the dinner shift and therefore didn't really know the breakfast menu, although he did try and was polite and helpful. Prior to going to Katella I emailed their help staff about Disneyland tickets and decided to purchase discounted tickets from the lobby. Of course-when we were there they didn't have any tickets available and we ending up paying full price at the Disneyland Gates. While the hotels location is close to Disneyland, my advice would be to stay at one of the many hotels on West Katella. It is a much "better neighborhood" and they are actually closer to the park, have alot of food and activities within walking distance and from the street look like much nicer places!

Albany, Oregon
Reviewed July 21, 2005

On the 4th of July, me and my family arrived at Katella Palms, we had booked our flight and hotel stay with a travel agent back home. We went online and looked up the hotel, and it looked real nice and all from the pictures and the description. When we got there it was the exact opposite.
Our room was upstairs, my dad had just had knee surgery and had trouble getting up those stairs, we asked the hotel if their was a elevator because we were told their was one, and their wasn't, so we asked to switch our room. They moved us downstairs towards the back of the hotel, we had such a great view of the garbage dumpsters. HAA! In our room, the beds were pathetic, the sheets and blankets we disgusting, a friend and I had been bitten by bugs that had of been in our bed, because we had found what looked like a mesquito dead in our bed the next morning. Also the shower water temperature would change from scalding hot to freezing cold without any interference from the sink or anything. We were also told there was a microwave and a refridgerator, but there wasn't any of that in our room, we asked the front counter and they said we would have to pay extra for a room with a fridge and microwave, and we were willing to pay extra. But we didnt get that room, I personally dont think they had any rooms with a microwave and fridge. More things wrong with our room, was towels, they were worn out and very limited, we only got 4 a day. The 4 Ice machines at that hotel, didnt work, none of them. Only 1 washing machine and dryer worked, the others were flooded with water. We also were not told that you got charged for local calls. Sometimes when we called the front desk to ask a question, we were hung up on. The restaurant was sad also, I doubt the food they served there was even made from scratch, I bet I could of gone to Costco and bought the same thing and made it myself. Also our room Keys didnt work sometimes, we had three room keys because 1 didnt even work. The lights on our room didn't work, because the bulbs were dead. One morning our power went out and we had to wait awhile to get it to come back on, which is inconvienent because we were trying to make a time to catch the shuttle. The only thing that i would say was okay about this hotel is the shuttle service besides the fact that there was no air conditioning because it was like 100 degrees.