“Recommended by the Car Dealer”
Review of Jagerhaus

Jagerhaus
Ranked #99 of 928 Restaurants in Anaheim
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife's car had a recall. We thought bringing it in for an oil change and the necessary recall fix would take half an hour at the most. When we were informed that it would be a couple hours my wife asked if there was a nearby restaurant where we could get breakfast. The service writer recommended this place.

In fairness it was about the only place close enough to walk to from this plaza of new car dealers so we were suspicious of what we were in for. My gosh, what a pleasant surprise. The restaurant is in a strip mall right off the 57 Freeway. It doesn't look like much from the outside. And when we were greeted and brought to our table by a Hispanic man, I wasn't sure what to think. But he was pleasant, prompt and knew the dishes.

He recommended the German pancake with fresh strawberries. When we asked if it was big enough for two of us he suggested we add the two egg with sausage and toast entree. I appreciated his recommendations but guess what, the portions were huge. The pancake would have been enough for the two of us. But I still ate it all!

I will say the cottage potatoes were fabulous. The homemade pork sausage was a bright spot. But it was the pancake that took center stage and made it all worthwhile.

Two entrees, a cup of tea and a glass of orange juice set us back about $20.00 before tax and gratuity. We thought the quality and value was great. Thank goodness we could work some of it off by walking about half a mile back to the dealer.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

I was leery about this place by the looks from the outside. I visited for late lunch. Place was empty and not too sure what to expect. The service was great, food delivered promptly and it was absolutely delicious!!!! Everything was amazing. The food doesn't match the setting. We ordered pastrami sandwich, saurbraten, potato pancakes along with creamed spinach and pickled cabbage. The food is amazing. Must go!!!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

My family has been going here for years we all love the food, the selection and the service. The owner is so incredibly nice and friendly. The restaurant is fun, and kind of cheesy, fun oompah music always playing. The owner always comes around to the tables, took a photo of our group and printed it out for us, and ffered a birthday spaetzle to my family since she knew we were celebrating.

1  Thank travel_work_love
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I have been going to the Jaegerhaus for 20 years. Actually I don't believe Gustav, the original owner is connected to it any more but that is a side point. As others have said it is an unpretentious venue in a strip mall. The décor is total kitsch with travel souvenirs and maps on the walls, It is a casual, family friendly place. The staff is entirely Mexican with Spanish floating out of the kitchen to compliment the piped music. The owner, a very nice older woman will usually make an appearance, but doesn't seem to be involved in the operation per se.
All that aside though, the standard menu isn't bad at all, and the overall experience is a good one

Now I would personally warn against the "game" options as these were probably frozen sometime in the last decade. I like game meat, and have tried it here over the years, but it has always been tough and dry, and I don't think that the kitchen staff knows how to handle it as it is only rarely ordered.

If you order the "specials" or from the standard menu the food is good if nothing particularly outstanding. It is comfort food as your German American grandmother might cook, and I had a German grandmother so I have some experience in that! In any case, the portions are generous, the beer good, and the taste better than average, all at a very reasonable price.

I would not describe the food as particularly "authentic" but German like tex-mex is to Mexican food, German to an American taste.

I am sure I will eat here when I visit the area in April as I always do. This restaurant is one of my go to places to get a good meal, even if it isn't really Bayerische.

1  Thank Anrando
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

A beautiful family owned locale, European portions, and a menu that will satisfy the most die-hard German/Austrian food fanatic. I spent my whole life living in Europe and can confidently say that Jagerhaus really makes me feel at home! Everything from side dishes to main courses are perfectly executed! A big applause to the owner who is always friendly, welcoming and present whenever I visit. It might not be cheap, but its worth it!

2  Thank Sergio Z