“Best German food around!”
Review of Jagerhaus

Jagerhaus
Ranked #97 of 928 Restaurants in Anaheim
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Going up to OC for the day and wanted to find a good place to eat. I checked out a bunch of restaurants online and since I haven't had good German food for a while decided to check out Jagerhaus. The restaurant was easy to find, right off the freeway. From the outside it doesn't look like much but it is so cute inside! The owner was there greeting and speaking with all the customers. My husband and I both ordered one of the delicious German beers they had on tap, both were good and they were real pours. I ordered the breaded chicken breast schnitzel with beans and fries. Holy crap it was wonderful! My husband had the paprika pork steak schnitzel with sauerkraut and potato pancakes, delicious as well! This was the best German food I have had since I visited Germany.

1  Thank Aprilp2412

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I had a late lunch at this restaurant and the first impression was favorable. We arrived too early to order off of the dinner menu, so we had to make due with the lunch menu (dinner is served after 3 pm). Dinner and lunch prices are the same, but with dinner you have a lot more choices. We came for the Schweinshaxn, which wasn't on the lunch menu, so we settled for a couple of Schnitzels. The Schnitzels were very good with their respective gravies as well as the side dishes (Jaegerschnitzel with mushroom gravy & Turkeyschnitzel with a mushroom cream sauce). We enjoyed being able to order the side dishes for each meal - many German restaurants will have set side dishes and sometimes charge for substitutions. The restaurant carries our favorite beer "Franziskaner Hefeweizen" (bottled), which was a perfect accompaniment to the Schnitzels. I was a little disappointed with the bread that were served with the meal - ordinary American rolls. German rye bread would have enhanced the German experience, and perhaps the owner will read this review and rethink the choice of bread that is being served. Also, a little German/Bavarian music would have been nice, instead there was no music at all, which made the place feel a tad lonely. The lack of music and the non-German bread, along with the slightly higher than normal prices, are the reasons this restaurant did not get 5 stars from me. We will definitely eat there again - this time for dinner, after which I will update my review.

1  Thank formella
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We went to this place based on reviews here and were a bit disappointed.

The decor reminded us of a granny's house (that's not a compliment). Old wallpaper and old curtains. It was probably decorated in the mid to late 80s. It is VERY casual. A little music would have added to the atmosphere a lot.

The food was ok. Two of my children had the chicken strips and I had the chicken schnitzel. I'm pretty sure they were the exact same thing. I even tasted both and they tasted the same. My oldest child had the potato pancakes on the side and they were amazing. We all thought they were the best thing at the table. My husband's dish was ok but not the best German food we had. It was lacking some flavor but was too salty at the same time.

The kitchen is right next to the dining area and we could hear them pounding the chicken/food the entire meal. The price was little expensive for what we got and presentation of the food was non-existent. I'm guessing this is the type of place that locals have been going to for years and have aged with the restaurant. We were the only people under 50 in the place, but it could have been the night we went.

4  Thank EsKezzy
Reviewed October 20, 2012

When I was there last, had a great time, good atmosphere, very good food. My first time going to Jagerhaus was in 1997, and a group of us went there for a small banquet. The pork chops were great, same with the potato's. The original owner was the head chef for the old owner of the Angels, Gene Autry.

2  Thank Wobbs98
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I've been to Jagerhaus several times over the years, and have always found it to be great food at pretty reasonable prices. We were vacationing in California earlier this month, and made a return visit and hope to do so again in the future.

Firstly, I don't know where folks got the impression that this place has changed hands, because that is simply untrue. Thje same owner, Sandra Schwaiger, has been operating this place for many years, and we had the opportunity to spend some time talking with her as we were leaving after dinner.

At Jagerhaus, it is all about the food. Think Austrian, with some Hungarian, rather than simply German. Schnitzels, goulashes, etc., and done very well. We were a party of six, and everyone greatly enjoyed the dinner. I had the Szegedine goulash, which was excellent. My wife had the braised lamb shank, and commented on how tender it was. There is a good selection of beer - I went with the Weltenburg Dark on draft and it was very tasty indeed.

The decor of the restaurant is pretty simple and functional and I would never describe it as elegant. However, the great food, reasonable prices, and friendly service are where Jagerhaus excels. Highly recommended!

2  Thank Billcat52