“A perfect stay for a Disney vacation”
Review of Disneyland Hotel

Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #20 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Rocklin, California
“A perfect stay for a Disney vacation”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

On a hot, July summer day, we walked into the lobby of the Disneyland Hotel and there was Goofy, interacting and taking pictures with all the kids. Nice start to the Disney vacation. I actually noticed him there every afternoon around check-in time and greeting guests as they arrived and interacting with the kids as parents were checking-in at the front desk. Princess Jasmine was there one day too. You won't find this at any other hotel.

The hotel is separated into three towers. The Fantasy Tower is the tower with the lobby, shops and a couple restaurants, including Goofy's Kitchen. You can get a standard room with views of the parking lot, although you do get a good view of the fireworks at night and there is a TV channel that plays the music that is played in the park during the fireworks show. Pretty cool. The other side of the tower faces the pool and costs more. We stayed in this tower and had a view of the parking lot, but got to watch the fireworks from our room which was great. The Adventure Tower is to the left and either has views of Downtown Disney (I'm guessing you can also see fireworks from this side) or views of the pool. And the Frontier Tower is the furthest away and either faces the pool or the street behind it. In my opinion, either request the Fantasy tower or Adventure tower. You can do this when making your reservation or try to request it when checking in.

The rooms in the hotel are all nicely decorated in a Disney theme and are quite large and include a sofa bed and refrigerator. The carpets, pictures on the wall, Mickey glove sink and bathtub knobs and light fixtures in the bathroom all add to the experience. But the best of all are the headboards with fireworks that light up and play music with the touch of a button. After we got to our room, the bellman came up with our luggage and asked if we were celebrating anything. We were celebrating my son's birthday and he told my two kids to pick up both the phones and he pressed some buttons so that they could hear Mickey singing happy birthday. Another nice touch.

The pool is a huge resort type pool with a very large pool closest to the lobby, a smaller, but still big pool in the middle (this one was a lot warmer than the largest one) and all the water slides were separated from these two pools in an area above the middle pool. They have two "monorail" slides, a big one and a medium one and a toddler slide as well. They also have plenty of life jackets if your child needs one. You can also order food and beverages from the attendants who come by your lounge chairs and there were pool parties when we went where a couple of staff played hula hoop games and several other games outside of the pool. The pool is definitely a big plus if you're coming in the summer and looking for a hotel where you can take breaks in the hot afternoons and splash in or relax by the pool.

Besides all the wonderful amenities and services that the hotel offers, there is also the distance to the park to consider when booking a hotel. There are several other hotels across the street that are shorter walking distance and a fourth the cost, so you might want to look into those if that is most important to you. With that being said, it's about a 10 min walk or so to the front gate, but you do get to walk through Downtown Disney (the restaurants right outside the hotel are ESPN Zone, Rainforest Cafe and the delicious, Earl of Sandwich) and you don't if you stay across the street. That could be a positive or negative depending how you look at it. It's also a couple minute walk to the monorail though which will take you right into Tomorrow Land in a couple minutes which is a nice bonus.

Overall, this is a great hotel that also gives you the benefit of Magic Morning each day of your stay if you're an early riser and want to take advantage of very short lines for the first few hours of your day. Keep in mind that it is the second most expensive hotel that you can stay at in the area (1st is the Grand Californian), so if you're willing to pay more for all these advantages, then I would definitely recommend booking it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank David A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chino, CA
Reviewed August 11, 2014

The Disneyland Hotel really doesn't need any reviews, but because we had an AMAZING experience I just have to review it. We only booked one night because honestly I can't afford two nights. We are annual passholders and have stayed at the Grand Californian last year, but this was our first time ever staying at the iconic Disneyland Hotel. We planned to get there early in the morning so that we could hang out at the pool before our room was ready. We were celebrating my son's birthday and he had the best time. Upon check-in the cast member at the front desk was friendly. I told her that we were there to check in early because we wanted to hang out at the pool and it was my son's birthday. She gave him a birthday button. I wasn't sure if we would be able to get a room in the Adventure tower facing Downtown Disney, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. She orginally stated that there were no rooms available, but then she said she would be right back. She came back letting me know that there are still people in a room in the Adventure tower and if I wanted to wait until 3:00 I could get that room or get one in the Fantasy tower that was ready. I immediately said I would wait and thanked her numerous times.

We checked in and she would text me when the room was ready. We got our keys so we could go into the pool area and left our bags with Bell Services. We got to the pool and made sure we saved some seats near the SUPER FUN water slides. There is a cast member that walks around asking anyone if they would like food or drinks from the bar. They are of course pricey as well, but so tasty.

Once we got into the room it was amazing. It was very spacious and the beds were very comfortable. One wall was the entire window facing part of Downtown Disney. The headboard lit up and played a little lullaby. The room was very clean. I was so excited that I forgot our toothbrushes and toothpaste and they delivered them to our room free of charge. I also requested a couple of towels and they brought me 6. The best part was the fireworks. We were able to sit in front of our window, turn the TV to the fireworks channel and watch them from our room.

Even though we were only there for one night, it was one of the best nights we've ever had. Thanks Disney, some people may say you're too expensive, but I think you're worth every penny!

Room Tip: Ask for Adventure Tower facing Downtown Disney, get there early and you may have a chance of getting...
4 Thank JamieF8
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 10, 2014

My parents took me to this hotel back in 1977, when I was 10 years old and I loved it!

My only problem was the 3-Hour time difference, but I also had the opportunity to visit family members I only saw once every several years.

Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We visited Disney on Anaheim, CA, on last June, for our first time. A lot fun, excellent roller coaster, nice Cars movie attraction but others were closed. I would be back sure...! But we prefer Magic Kingdom, it's bigger and have a lot of more fun. However, both are excellent.

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank mvindasc
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 8, 2014

The staff in this hotel offer very nice service. But the room decoration and facilities are too basic to justify the high price. Swimming pools are good, but for kids shorter than four feet the water is too deep for safe swimming, though life vests are provided. Did not try the restaurants there because there are options in the Downtown Disney beside. The best reason to stay here should be its proximity to the Parks so you can arrive early and avoid the queues (even without using the Magic Mornings).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank S H F
Tacoma, WA
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We stayed at the Disneyland hotel back in 2011 and Paradise Pier in Jan. 2014 so for this trip we did a split stay between the Grand Californian and the Disneyland Hotel.

Even though the rooms at the Grand Californian are bigger, and have excellent access to the parks, the overall theme, ambiance and character of the Disneyland Hotel was ranked #1 by my family.

The rooms are spacious and cute, the pool area is fantastic! We rented a cabana one of the days we were there and will do it again, it took me about 8-10 minutes to get to the gates (and I'm 6 months pregnant!) so it's definitely an easy walk.

Service was great as well!

4 Thank Bayla06
South Pasadena, California
Reviewed August 7, 2014

The hotel and staff were wonderful in the hotel. We had a business convention and all the business convention facilities were the best. As far as their offerings to the parks and security was ridiculous. We had a small number of people that were handicapped or unable to walk the distance to the event site Big Thunder Ranch and a cart was needed. The attendees had to pre-register great unless you have been recently hurt (not a planned event,duh). This became a major flaw in the Disney Experience! They couldn't allow our injured guest to use the cart. What are you kidding me?? We are a large group of 1000 attendee's. We needed a group ambassador from Disney to make this right. Shame on Disney, it ruined a great experience for some of our attendees

Room Tip: Corner room on 2nd floor very large!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business