“Good, but not good enough.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Disneyland Hotel

Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #17 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Auckland NZ
“Good, but not good enough.”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

The hotel is outlandishly expensive. Our (admittedly very large) family suite cost over $1100 per night. For that we received a competent hotel but it really didn't provide anything special. Even the location is of dubious merit - Disneyland entrance is a good 10-15 minute walk away and there are many closer, and far better value options. There were really no special little touches at all - for the price I would've expected gifts for the kids, free movies, a buffet breakfast, chocolates on the pillow etc. and a constant enveloping Disney vibe. None of this was in evidence.

Also, the shower pressure in our room was really very feeble. The rigidly enforced checkout time of 1100 rankled a bit. All in all, not good enough for the money.

10 Thank gasman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We had three people in a superior view room in the Adventure Tower for three nights. The default for a superior room is a pool view, so make sure to ask for a Downtown Disney view (Adventure Tower) when making the reservation otherwise you likely will get the pool view. Also ask for an upper floor and you will have a perfect view of the nightly fireworks.

We got to the hotel about 1:00 in the afternoon. The check in process was seamless and very friendly. Rooms are not guaranteed to be ready until 3:30 to 4:00. Our room was not ready until 4:10. We were sent a text when it was ready, but only after approaching the desk to inquire after 4:00. The room was very nicely appointed with two queen beds and a sleeper sofa, a dresser with mini fridge and television. There was also free Wi-Fi thatyou had to be on constantly or would need to re-sign in to because it drops the user with non-use. The décor was very Disney tasteful and we looked out over the center of Downtown Disney. We were on the eighth floor in room 2645. The bathroom had also been updated with beautiful sinks, granite and subway tile showers. Towels were plentiful. Shampoo and conditioner were present but in mini, mini bottles (not impressed). I would give the room itself an A.

The surprise for us came when we got into bed. It was a bottom sheet, top sheet, duvet, and another sheet. However, under all this was a mattress pad and cover that sounded like you were rolling on newspaper. While I understand the need for cleanliness (and it was incredibly clean), anytime someone moved in bed it actually was loud enough to wake up the rest of the room. It was actually really frustrating and made it difficult to get a sound sleep.

The Disneyland Hotel with Superior view runs about $300 per night on the weekends or more. It is close to many dining options including the ESPN Club and all the other restaurants further down in the area. Other restaurants "off-post" are also close enough to walk. The tram to Tomorrow land is just outside the exit as well. You can take advantage of the early morning (7:00) admission for hotel guests. You see half the park before anyone else gets in.

The pools at the hotel have been renovated and are very nice. There is a "slide pool" that has three different level slides for "kids" of all ages. The other two pools are more adult, quiet pools; although, there were plenty of kids in them. The pool is pretty empty in the mornings and afternoons until about 2:00 to 3:00 when people begin to return from the park. There are waiters that walk by to take drink orders and sandwich orders. About $9.00 a drink, $7.50 for a beer and $11.00 for a sandwich. Dropped a quick $100.00 for a few drinks and sandwiches.

There are also Goofy's Kitchen character dining and a steakhouse on the property. Very nice, but both are pretty pricey as well. The fireworks began each night around 9:25 and there is a simulcast of the music on Channel 16 in the room. It was amazing hearing the music and watching/hearing the fireworks from the comfort of your own room. Probably the highlight of the room itself.

The Disneyland Hotel is nicer than the Paradise Pier Hotel by far. The PPH only has a small pool. The Disneyland Hotel is not as nice as the Grand Californian, except the views of Downtown Disney and the fireworks exceed the Downtown Disney views as seen from the GC.

The only other surprise and mild dislike of the DH was the parking. Valet parking was $25.00 per night and self-parking was $17.00 per night. Self parking is quite a hike from the Adventure and Frontier towers and the bell services were expecting a tip when they took the bags from your car and again when they arrived in your room. Really was not a pleasant experience. Also, our tower only had two elevators that were very, very slow during prime time. There were three or four times when we had to wait for the next elevator because it was already full. Just leave before 11:00 in the morning and this is not an issue.

Room Tip: We had three people in a superior view room in the Adventure Tower for three nights. The default for...
9 Thank James K
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I took my grandson to Disneyland for his 7th birthday, his first time to Disneyland so we chose the Disneyland Hotel because we read it was recently updated and had a cool waterpark. Previously I had stayed at the California Grand Adventure which is worth the higher price, absolutely beautiful hotel. We arrived about 9 PM, tired from our flight, but excited to check in. The desk clerk was polite but not friendly and we had to pull along our suitcases and follow his directions to get to the Tower where our room was. Greeting and bell hop would have been nice but we waited patiently with a crowd of people for the only elevator in sight. The room was clean but not super impressive. We did have a huge picture window view of Disneyland, just in time to watch the fireworks. Be sure to ask for a room on the fireworks side. The headboards played music and lit up with little twinkling stars which we loved at first then disregarded for the rest of our 4 night stay. Bathroom was big and nicely outfitted with soaps, shampoos, conditioner, hand lotion, etc. Water pressure was not so good and we had to wait a while for the shower water to get hot enough to enjoy. Linens were nice and the beds were pleasantly firm. My grandson made himself a bed on the sofa, using extra blankets and a pillow stored in the closet. Clock radio worked well and we used the alarm to wake up early since our first day at Disneyland was a 24 hour day! Two big, clean pools but very crowded, lounge chairs were all saved with towels but no one sitting in them so we had to sit on the cement to hang out at the pool. We saw no one come back to reclaim lounges for more than 2 hours. Suggest that hotel staff remove towels of no-shows after 30 minutes in fairness to other guests at the hotel. One night we ordered room service which was tasty and carried in on a little table. We liked the patio restaurant with reasonable prices, quick service, and some healthy choices. Still quite a long walk through Disney Downtown before we could enter the gates into Disneyland, then further on, the gates to California Adventure. Hotel is nice, new, clean, but nothing outstanding and the price per night is quite expensive. Liked the Grand Californian better.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Marlyn G
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights on my first trip to Disneyland. The location is excellent as you can walk through Downtown Disney to get to both parks. I had reserved a Premium View room and had an amazing view! I was on the 10th floor of the Adventure building and could see DTD and numerous attractions from both parks. I also had a wonderful view of the fireworks on the 1st night there.

The 1 odd thing about the room is there was a set of double doors that you had to enter through and then there was the door to my guest room and the room next door. It was slightly awkward when trying to maneuver your luggage through the doors. My next door neighbors were so loud during the 1st day and night it was unbelievable. They treated their room like party central and constantly had both their door and the double doors propped open to allow other friends/family through. Long story short I found out they were cast members which irritated me even more as they were not paying the $615/night that I was and clearly didn't care. Luckily they checked out the following morning and when I expressed my concerns to the desk, they literally didn't put anyone in that room for my remaining 3 nights.

Hotel was very clean and modern; the headboard was my favorite part and slept with the fiber optic lights on each night! The Coffee House was very low on muffins and pastries one morning which was disappointing. Tangaroa Terrace was fine for breakfast but nothing special. I ate at Steakhouse 55 for my birthday and it was incredible! I highly recommend that restaurant.

I would absolutely stay at this hotel again but the rooms are a little pricey.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We loved our stay at the Disneyland Hotel this past June 2014. While we checked in, I noticed immediately the thoughtful touches; tea cups for kids to sit in and tiny chairs with classic Mickey Mouse cartoons playing while the adults check in. We arrived early (9 am ) and room check in isn't officially until the late afternoon. However, they let us do the check in process and store our bags. They took our phone number and while we were in the park they texted us to let us know our room was ready and keys we received at check in could be used in a specific room #. The room was ready early and was clean and perfect. It was a little small, but had lots of wonderful details and mickey touches. I loved the wooden castle headboard with lights. We kept it on all night as a night light. We loved our housekeeper as well. Not sure if this happens for everyone or we were just lucky but we had cute towel animals made for us for evening turn down service. Loved the chocolates on the pillows every evening and restocked amply restocked towels and tolietries twice a day. Everyone we talked to that worked at the hotel was consistently professional, friendly and helpful. We had a deluxe lower level room with a nice view of the swimming pool in the Adventure tower. Staying in the Adventure tower was the closet tower to the parks. Though ALL are very close. A few steps less feels great though when your feet are hurting after several days in the parks. The pool was amazing and fun for all age levels! I noticed the pools felt like they were heated to different temperatures which I liked. You could chose one to your comfort level which was nice. One was like bath water which was nice for my little one. The monorail slides were a lot of fun even for grown ups. 3 different levels for how adventurous you are feeling. We had room service breakfast on one of the days which was prompt and delicious but a little expensive when room service fee is added. Coffee maker and fridge in room. Bought fruit, cereal and 1/2 gallon of milk at Grand California's White Water Snacks to keep in room to keep costs down. Tricks I found for less walking to get into parks from here are the Monorail for Disneyland & through Grand Californian for California Adventure. Shaved a few minutes off arrival times. However you need a park ticket in advance when you use these options. I purchased my tickets at the front desk of the hotel and liked that they printed my tickets with our names on them. I don't remember if that always happens but thought it was a good idea in case I dropped it. Anyway, we were VERY happy with our experience. I have stayed at good neighbor hotels and Paradise Pier in years past when visiting Disneyland Hotels. All were good experiences, especially Paradise Pier. However there is just something very magical about Disneyland Hotel. I will definitely be back again and again!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank MsJennifer
Bethel, Connecticut
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The rooms at this pleasant hotel have some extra little touches to make your Disney stay more magical. For instance, the bathroom fixtures are supported by Mickey's hands. Also, the headboard of the beds, which depicts the castle showered by fireworks, lights up and plays music. While not overly luxurious, the rooms are comfortable and are slightly bigger than the rooms at the Grand Californian. Most lack balconies, but the over-sized window is great to watch fireworks if your room faces the direction of Downtown Disney. The lobbies of the various buildings are decorated with artifacts used in the creation of the parks, from miniature scale models of attractions to artists renditions of the same.The hotel itself is modern with a glass & chrome exterior and it reminds me of the Contemporary in WDW in Orlando. Although the hotel crows that it offers several swimming pools, they are all located in the same place and it is more like one large pool complex....no separate quiet pool like I am accustomed to from my frequent trips to WDW. The pool complex, newly remodeled, is larger than the pools at the other two Disney hotels in DLR, however, and boasts a large "monorail themed" slide. The pool area teems with lifeguards...guest safety is obviously a high priority at this hotel as is satisfaction, for very afternoon the lifeguards host a "Pool Party" and lead children in a host of fun & games. Bar service is offered chairside at the pool and includes food/drink service from the nearby bar (tropical libations $8-10) and Tangaroa Terrace counter-service restaurant. (The waitresses are great and will keep your tab open for the length of your stay at the pool.) Do take some time, though, to actually have a drink inside the bar (Trader Sam's) as the "shenanigans" of the bartenders will bring a smile to your face... a great place for evening drinks. The hotel offers several other eating choices, too. Goofy's Kitchen hosts character buffets for both breakfast and dinner. While somewhat pricey (meals $30-59), these meals are all-you-can-eat and with an opportunity to see such celebs as Goofy, Pluto or Chip, you can't go wrong. Steakhouse 55 is also on the premises. The fact that they serve breakfast is the best kept secret at Disney. Their breakfast is divine and an incredible bargain (full American breakfast $12). If the restaurants on site don't thrill you, Downtown Disney is just steps away with its plethora of dining choices including my favorites Earl of Sandwich (sandwiches $7) and Tortilla Jo's (Mexican specialties $15-18). Disneyland Hotel is ideally located at the end of DD and a short stroll to the monorail entrance to Disneyland. With your hotel stay, you can also use the private entrance to DCA located at the Grand Californian or walk just a short distance further to avail yourself of the main entrances to both parks. A key benefit of staying at the Disneyland Hotel is the early entry into the parks for Magic Mornings. Make sure you take advantage of every minute of this time by arriving at the gates at least 15-20 minutes before entry time. MM is a great perk and it allows you to experience a lot of attractions before the park gets crowded. This benefit and the magic of staying at a Disney property are good reasons to try the Disneyland Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Downtown Disney have a good view of the fireworks...Frontier Tower is quieter
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Donna S
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We did a last minute reservation because our hotel we were staying in was not working out. The service was outstanding from the reservation line to check in to the parking attendant. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The room was nice and comfy. We had an issue with our bathroom sink not draining but they sent someone up to fix it promptly. With downtown disney next door there is a ton of shopping/restaurants. The pool and water slide were nice and I like how the pools are different temperatures. They DO NOT have near enough chairs at the pool. If I'm paying $500 a night there is no way we should be sitting on the concrete ground! Other than that I enjoyed my stay.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family