“Beautiful property, great service”
Review of Disneyland Hotel

Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #20 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Madera, California
“Beautiful property, great service”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed in the Adventure Tower, this is the tower closest to Downtown Disney that has the "E-Ticket floor" (previously the "concierge floor" that had the special theme rooms). We checked in rather early so the registration staff confirmed our room, gave us our room number and keys, had the bell desk store our luggage, and promised to page us if the room was ready prior to the normal 3pm check-in time. It was. Our single king bed room was spacious, well appointed, and the "Disney Touches" were elegant. Above our headboard was a carved wooden panorama of Sleeping Beauty's Castle that had pinpoint LED lights within it to represent the fireworks. The soft glow made a lovely nightlight and did not disturb our sleep. If you need true darkness to sleep, don't worry, you can turn the lights off via a control on your bedside lamp.

We were greeted with big smiles and good wishes whenever we passed any of the staff members, and several asked it they could help us with anything. Things were going so well that no help was necessary.

So why only four stars? Okay, I'll admit it, I'm horribly picky. While the bed's mattress was very high quality and fairly new (yes, I checked) the mattress was very firm. If you like a firm mattress, you'll love it. Me, I need a cushy plush mattress so it made for a not so comfortable sleep for my picky back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (860)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lodi, California
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Disneyland resort for me was everything a Disney hotel should be! It should be an experience wrapped in Disney Magic and Disney service. We were greeted by a Great Cast member named Byson he was courteous and kind. (my fellow vacationers show them the same kindness after all you're in Disney, and they can hold the keys to beginning of a wonderful experience). So we checked I nearly and was able to get a room rather shortly. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room(this one had the sofa bed) and the view of the pool. Although that is great info it is more important to know that the Disneyland hotel lends itself at least to us the most convenient in getting to and from the parks. We have little ones who would need naps and it was hassle free to travel back and forth mid day. Also when it was time for dinner it was so nice to travel right into Downtown Disney for some great eats. We went to the gym daily and that was...well a gym...what fun is that..lol We did actually do the Goofy's Kitchen for Dinner. It was perfect for the kids, they were so excitedto see all the characters the food was delicious and hey parents who like libations, they have great cocktails. It didn't hurt that we hopped from the restaurant to the hot tub! The Tiki bar was great too for a quick getaway. Honestly this resort had everything we needed to round out one memorable vacation that had all the childlikeness of Disney and the adult refuge for the adults. Renting a cabana on a off day is not a bad idea, especially because you get service from the quick service or the tiki bar to the cabana and your right by the pool to watch after the little ones. We actually closed up the sides and let the kids nap while we soaked in the sun. With the lighthearted Disney music chiming through the lobby's the wistful art and photography that adorned the walls, we were in our own family fantasyland. It was exactly what a vacation should be, a way to vacate life and let the magic of Disney sprinkle a little fairy dust of fun back into your life. PS Can you tell we had a good time....lol

1 Thank Sophia R
Layton, Utah
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We booked the Disneyland Hotel as our favorite Grand California was unavailable. this is how the visit started..a 45 minute wait to check into a room which was nice but covered in cob webs on the walls to a TV that lost signal..water pressure in the shower that was barely coming out to and here is my all time favorite..the pool was constantly being closed for what they called a little Tinkerbell accident (more like a Winnie the POO accident) UGH!!! The only thing that was good about this hotel was the Manager who helped us get booked into The Grand California at our request...were I'm happy to say...the rest of our trip was WONDERFUL!!!

5 Thank cherlynn h
United States
Reviewed February 22, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised that the Disneyland Hotel is very nice. I thought it would be cheaply constructed as the Disney hotels are in WDW. I do not know if this hotel is more solidly made because it has actually been here since the 50s (and not built by the Disney Company) and they have just remodelled it. But the outcome is wonderful.

The rooms are spacious and richly decorated. (Again, unlike WDW where the rooms are bare and minimalistic.) Flip the switch for a "Goodnight Kiss" and the headboards light up with fireworks over the carving of the castle. There is a real bathroom complete with sink, toilet, and bath/shower. (The sink is not exposed to the sleeping area as at WDW.) There are large picture windows to view the lushly landscaped hotel resort or the parks where you can see the fireworks display. There are wonderful touches of Mickey everywhere, including the lamps, shower controls, carpeting, etc. Very beautifully and tastefully done-not "in your face".

The staff is friendly. It is hard to find a fast breakfast, or an inexpensive one at the hotel itself. A short walk gets you to Downtown Disney and the Parks. Although, it is quite a trek at the end of the day when tired and you just want to get back if the monorail is not stopping at the station near the hotel.

A very lovely hotel with ammenities I was not expecting for a Disney standard hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I rarely take the time to write reviews as I'm a busy mom of 3 boys but as I cried this morning unpacking from our trip to Disneyland I knew I needed to make the time and will be posting the same review to TripAdvisor, Blogs and anywhere else I can so other families know what they're in for. This was the most financially and emotionally draining vacation I have ever been on and an incredible disappointment.

We are just a "normal" family and saved for several years to bring our 3 kids to Disneyland. We researched the best time to go and chose a Mon-Tues in February. The park was so busy each ride was a 45-60 minute wait and my one and 3 year olds just couldn't do it so we maybe ended up doing less than rides in 2 days. Over 10 RIDES WERE CLOSED including Thunder Canyone, Nemo's Submarines and Small World which my kids were specifically looking forward to and no one mentioned when I booked the room or park tickets. We were promised an "extra magic hour" for staying at the hotel but the line for that was so long that it was 8:40 by the time we got in. Then a Disney employee told me she needed to ask me questions which I assumed was part of the entry process but turned out to a survey that lasted over 10 minutes and ate up the rest of our "magic hour" Very classy Disney...

Monday night the park was open til 11:00pm so we decided to let the kids take late naps and go back Tuesday at night so the lines would be shorter and we could actually go on some rides. After one ride, we found that the park was closing at 9:00 that night. More tears....

Upon booking our room I had inquired about partner hotels which were much less expensive but was promised a "magical Disney Experience" at the Disney hotel. The room had a singing headboard but other than that looked like a Motel 6. There was nothing whimsical about the room or lobby and my kids didn't receive any special attention from the staff which I expected after they insisted on putting their reservations under "Master Ryder, Tanner and Clay". The shower water fluctuated between icy cold and scorching hot and sadly burned my oldest two boys who ran out screaming with red skin. When I told the front desk that there was something wrong with shower and my kids had been scorched he simply replied "yes, were aware of the issue and maintenance is working on it". No apologies and it never got fixed so we literally couldn't shower in our $400+/night room.

The restaurants are insanely overpriced and the food is gross. Our $150 character dining experience was like a Mall Buffet and we stood in a lobby full of screaming kids for 30 minutes despite our reservations. They called us up for a photo with Goofy which I happy about until them interrupted our dinner to SELL us the photo for a mere $35. Classy ....

Upon check out I asked the front desk to check lost and found for my camera which I had misplaced and were on hold for 45 MINTUES with the L&F department while I stood there with no apologies or offer to call me once they looked. The whole hotel experience was nothing magical or special at all. We paid top dollar for that promise and just felt like little fish in a big pond.

All we wanted was a magical experience for our family and to see that look in our kids eyes but all it was was lines, waiting, exhaustion, disappointments and getting overcharged for everything. Our 2 night stay, light meals, and less than 10 rides in the park cost us approximately $2,400. Our kids never want to come back which breaks my heart because I wanted this experience to a be a happy memory that lasted a lifetime. So disappointed with Disney right now.

45 Thank Lacy M
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed February 20, 2014

all I'm going to say is that, I can't wait to go back, talk about beautiful, clean and excellent service... I wish I could have stayed a week or two. thank you for the wonderful hospitality. Okay, to say that the rooms were clean is an understatement. I'm the kind of person that checks everything like it's a my paying job... I even bring my own sheets and pillow. I felt like a kid again,and being on the 11th floor and the view was spectacular... I loveeeeeeeeeeeeee it. Thank you. we bought a family package that included entrance to Disney and Disney Adventure... pretty cool.

Room Tip: tell them you want to a window view of the city... lovely
1 Thank Venus1999
Houston
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Beautiful hotel with great amenities. Friendly staff even with a sold out hotel. Loved the special headboards. The only problem is the hike with little ones. Really wish they had a shuttle service so at least you ended up as close as the folks who get to ride the tram from the parking lot next door.

Stay at the Grand Californian if you can so you are right there for California Adventure and not too far from Disneyland. Extra magic hours are totally worth it so I would always stay on the property.

Note to Disney - buy up some of the hotel properties across the street from Disneyland and spruce them up.

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom suite and it was awesome for a family.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family