“Adventure Tower Stay”
Review of Disneyland Hotel

Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #20 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at the Disneyland Hotel. Our last visit was in 2000 and it has really changed! Upon arrival you can drop your bags at Bell Services and the hotel will text you when your room is ready - very nice service. We had requested a king and our first room had two doubles. We call the front desk and they moved us pronto. We had a king room in the adventure tower. It was renovated and quite nice. The headboard lights up with music and made the room very festive. It was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The location is so convenient to downtown Disney and a 7 minute walk to DL and CA parks. The grounds are well kept and we had no problems going to and from the parks. Much improved from our last stay in 2000.

Makes it very easy to take advantage of the early in days at the parks.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AdventurousAmy77

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have wanted to stay at the Disneyland Hotel since I was 12, and although I have visited the park many times, the Disneyland Hotel was never on our budget, this time it really wasnt either, but decided to just do it, and so very glad we did. Checking in was a breeze about 3pm on a Sunday, and after travelling most of the day I asked for a room in the Fantasy Tower (where check in is at) and they honored my request. Goofy was hanging around in the lobby as well that day. We were given a room on the 5th floor with a view of the Matterhorn mountain top, and we could easily see the fireworks from the room. Room was adorable with the lighted headboard, we had that on pretty much all the time.Beds comfortable. Nice Disney touches all over.Pool was very well supervised. Staff super friendly. We enjoyed our walk every morning down to the parks through Downtown Disney, loud Disney music playing, building up the anticipation as you walked.Loved the coffee shop that opens at 6am (get the Red Eye) Dining was expensive as we figured it would be, but many inexpensive choices in Downtown Disney. All in all it was a dream come true, and if you are thinking about this hotel, just do it, and enjoy the experience!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the Matterhorn in the Fantasy tower and you will be able to see the fire...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Ann L
Reviewed October 12, 2013

When visiting the Disneyland Resort, I normally stay at one of the motels on Harbor. This trip, I found a really decent deal on rooms at the Disneyland Hotel and decided it was time to try a bit of an upgraded experience.

Because I had such a good deal, I really was expecting to be given one of the lower level rooms near a service elevator in the Frontier tower. Well . . . I was partially right. I was assigned a room in the Frontier tower. But the room was on the top floor and not in a noisy portion. And because it was on the top floor, it had a balcony too! Granted, there was no view of the parks or fireworks, but there was a great view of a parking lot . . and a terrific view across the valley. (I enjoy seeing the lights of a city at night).

The room itself was very comfortable and spacious. Then again, this was a solo trip. And because it was a top floor room, I believe the ceiling was higher than the average rooms.

The furnishings were very comfortable and did not overpower the room. No need to mention the wonderful castle headboard, if you are reading these reviews, you seen it mentioned enough. :)

Room has a nice mini-refrigerator that kept drinks nicely chilled.

A nice flat screen TV.

The coffee maker is a one or two pod type and the coffee is pretty good too.

As far as water, I never had any problems with water pressure or temperature.

Housekeeping was great and usually had the room refreshed and cleaned by early morning. There was only one day that they got to it late, and that was on a Saturday. I figure that was their busiest day.

The hotel also has free internet access, both wireless and wired. I did a speed test, and found it was generally between 3Mbps and 6Mbps up and down.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. Yes, it is pricey place but you never really leave the Disney magic. It's going to be a hard decision to stay off property again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Dan S
Reviewed October 11, 2013

You shouldn't look past this hotel. The staff at the front desk are knowledgeable and friendly. It is only a short walk to Disneyland and California Land and to get there you have to walk through Downtown Disney with heaps of restaurants and shops. This place buzzes 7 nights a week. The swimming pool and spas are fabulous and safe. The two restaurants are expensive but worth it for a treat. One of them has people dressed as Disney characters and they come to your tables for photos and a cuddle. Make sure when booking that you insist on a seperate room for the adults....we had one room with two queen beds and then a fold away bed in lounge so my husband and I had to share a room...that is our only gripe.

Room Tip: room on the top floor for views of Disneyland at night and of the fireworks.
Reviewed October 11, 2013

If you can afford it, this is a must-stay. Check in took longer than was probably necessary, but they gave us all of the information we could ever need. My husband attended a conference here and the family tagged along. Without his company paying for the bulk of the stay, and the conference rate for the remaining nights, we could not have afforded to stay here. I'm glad we were able to have the experience.

Room: Very clean and well appointed. We had a room with 2 double beds and a sofabed. It was also a connecting room to my parents, who stayed next door. The staff was not only able to connect us, they were able to do it when my parents made 2 separate stays (we were there from Fri-following Sat, so, 8 nights, and my parents stayed Fri-Mon, and then returned Thurs-Sat). This was very convenient since we all flew out together on Saturday and we had 3 small children. Housekeeping always responded to our requests for extra towels, crib sheets, etc. Although some of the staff did not speak fluent English, they were quick to find another staff member to help translate to make sure that we got what we needed. The renovations are top notch - bathrooms, beds, carpets, linens...all clean and new. I didn't have an issue with letting my 1 year old crawl in our room - of course I cleaned his hands before he ate, but it wasn't skeevy like many hotels are. The fiber optic fireworks headboard was a beautiful touch and an amazing night light. It plays "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" when it first turns on. We loved it.

Grounds: Well kept. The pools were very clean. Lifeguards everywhere. Towels well stocked. Life vests provided for little ones. My kids enjoyed the little pool with the monorail slides. I was able to easily manage 3 children alone the day I was there (one of whom is 1). You can stay in one spot and basically see everything.

Restaurants: I wish there were a few more "less expensive" options for breakfast. A few days, the small coffee shop didn't have a working latte machine. A Starbucks would be nice...but one is opening in Downtown Disney this fall so I guess that option will be there. We ate at Goofy's Kitchen one night. The buffet was nice and had a good variety, and it was the type of stuff you would expect for Disney and a character meal. I do wish they had an "order off the menu" option - we aren't big eaters and in that sense, it was a waste. However, we met 6 characters (Goofy, Pluto, Minnie, Dale, Alice and Mulan). They don't rush you out of there, so you can take your time and eat and see everyone who is circulating. The cost was staggering ($33.95 for adults and $14.95 for children, with the bill including tax and tip - tip shouldn't be included for buffets, IMO), but it was worth it in the sense that we got to meet 6 characters in one setting. I wouldn't do this a lot, but it was worth it for the one time experience.

Customer Service: A few issues came up while we were there. The first was that our 7 year old kept us up coughing one night. My husband went to the front desk at 1am and they opened the small store in the lobby and got him a box of childrens' cough drops. They wrote the info down and billed it to our room, no problem. We all slept better the rest of the night! The second was that our park tickets were mistakenly billed to my husband's corporate card, and not to our personal card. When we got home and noticed this, he called and they reversed the charge and put it on the right card, no problem. Overall, very accommodating.

A few things you should know: this is not really "close" to Disneyland or Cal Adventure. We walked there each day, but if you are impaired in any way, it's not just right outside the door. There is a lot of walking here, period. The monorail is in Downtown Disney - a short walk away - but I don't think they really have accommodations for scooters. We had to completely fold our stroller up the one time we used it, and since it is cumbersome to carry a backpack, a toddler, etc. I didn't want to fold up the stroller and add that to the things I was carrying. We opted to walk rather than use the monorail for this reason. We also never used the Cal Adventure Park entrance in the Grand Californian hotel because we were advised that the waits were long. Your best bet is to go through the main gates, at least in the morning. Many more lines are open and it just moves faster.

A note about Magic Mornings: We had 4 "extra hour" mornings due to our stay in the Disneyland Hotel. 2 were in Disneyland, 2 were in Cal Adventure. Overall, they were a disappointment. You are supposed to be able to get in an hour early to have access to rides that otherwise get long lines during the day. Both days in Disneyland, half of the stuff in Fantasyland wasn't open, creating a 50 minute line at Peter Pan, which was longer than the 40 or so minute wait the rest of the day. The whole point was to get in early to ride things like Peter Pan while the line was shorter; but when you don't open Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Snow White, etc until the rest of the park opens, every person who has the extra hour goes to Peter Pan and you get a longer line. Disappointing. In Cal Adventure, one morning the Radiator Springs Racers weren't operational during the extra hour and because they had no estimate for when they would re open, even the fast passes were not available. The second morning, the Racers line was 55 minutes long during the extra hour. We were able to get fast passes for it that day, but the fast pass line doesn't open until the park does...so we burned our extra hour waiting for fast passes. Just something to think about when planning your days out.

Room Tip: We had a room in the Adventureland Tower - it faced Downtown Disney and is closest to the walkway to...
1  Thank Amy L
Reviewed October 10, 2013

HIGHLY RECOMMEND
My family is used to Disney World in Florida, but this trip was a nice change and the hotel had a lot to do with it. We had a nice room with two queen beds and a huge hit was the headboard for the kids (6 & 9). It lit up and played music and had fun little fireworks that lit up so each night we had a little show.
Everything was clean and a pretty good sized room for four. The bathroom had the sink in one area and the toilet and shower in another. This was a little different, but it worked fine.
The location was great. The walk to Downtown was easy and much different than taking transportation in Disney World.
The pools were nice, however when we visited in July the big slide (a big attraction) kept getting closed. It closed since the pool itself got closed, we think due to kids not be sanitary, but either way, it did take away from the experience.

Room Tip: We had a view of the parking lot and no fireworks (but we could hear them). Try and maybe you'l...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Over the years visiting Disneyland we have stayed at multiple hotels both in and out of the Disney resort area. In general I have disliked every single hotel. Of the Disney resort hotels--IMO the Disneyland Hotel is by far the best especially when you take into account value for money spent. The Grand Californian is a total ripoff and the rooms aren't nearly as nice as the Disneyland Hotel and pool is not remotely as nice. The Paradise Pier Hotel is basically a 2 star rat hole. We've also stayed at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Disney World which was really really disappointing.

So we finally decide to try the Disneyland Hotel and I had very low expectations going in having been so jaded by bad Disney hotel experiences. It was refurbished not too long ago, and when we got to our room I really couldn't believe I was at a Disney hotel. It was nice! We were in the tower closest to Downtown Disney which was convenient, and we had a pool facing view which was nice. The room had comfortable beds with fitted sheets! Don't take that for granted even if you are shelling out $300+ per night at Disney. The towels weren't old and ratty, and the room was spacious! The wall above the beds had a built-in decorative light display which lights up and plays Disney music and turns different colors--awesome! The kids loved it--great to fall asleep or slowly wake up to. The bathroom was actually spacious and had a good working shower head. The toiletries were grapefruit flavored. I was amazed.

We stayed there for three days and enjoyed the convenient access to the theme parks. This hotel is more conveniently located than the Paradise Pier but less conveniently located than the Grand Californian (really the only real redeeming quality of that place). The quickest way to each park is to walk through the Grand if going to California Adventure and via the Downtown Disney monorail station to Tomorrowland if going to Disneyland. Great location overall.

The pool area of the Disneyland Hotel is awesome. It's like a mini water park with two bigger slides and a couple smaller slides. Not sure when they built this, but it is so much better than the dinky little waterslide at the Grand Californian. Our older kids 10 and 12 really enjoyed it. They provide life jackets of all sizes poolside which was awesome because we forgot to bring our two year old's. There was no height or age restriction to go down the water slides! Sweet! The lines get crowded midday, but in the mornings and evenings not bad at all. Lastly, the hotel has a character buffet--Goofy's kitchen. Like all other Disney Buffets it's just rotten value, but they have characters running around so the little ones enjoy it. We liked breakfast at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in Downtown Disney much better!

Overall, I think this hotel is not only EASILY the best value of all the Disneyland resort hotels, it is also the best Disney hotel outright. By far the best we've ever stayed at. It'll be our go to hotel for all future Disneyland trips for sure.

Room Tip: Stay in tower closest to Downtown Disney--every step closer = less sore feet!
5  Thank wskungfuclub