“Disneyland newbie, Disneyworld veteran”
Review of Disneyland Hotel

Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #20 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband attended a conference here last month. It happened to be our 15th anniversary so I tagged along with 2 of our children ages 4 and 17 months. The hotel lacked the wow factor you get in WDW. However the rooms were nice and the view was spectacular. The quick service restaurant was okay. It was very small compared again to WDW. The pool was very cold, which was not all bad since it was over 100 degrees when we went. We stayed here 3 nights and then changed to the Grand Californian due to availability. When compared side by side, LOVED the Grand Californian! I will post a review on that as well. We did go to Goofy's Kitchen and it was very similar to Chef Mickey but.......you get to take your time and you see a lot more characters.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,971)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Disneyland hotel for thre night while attending a convention. The Hotel was very accomodating from eberything to Taxi's and shttle busses. The room I had was clean and had a great view. the room service was terrific and the beds were confortable and had plenty of room, they were also quiet. I would stay here again rather vacation or business purposes.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We go to Disneyland a couple of times a year and have generally stayed at the Paradise Pier or the Grand Californian. This was my first time at the Disneyland Hotel in 30+ years and I wasn't particularly impressed.

Good:

We were just going to leave a bag at the hotel and go to the park around 11am when we arrived, but they encouraged us to check in early and they had a room available. The room had a great view of the fireworks, and like everything else at Disney was perfectly clean. No complaints about room condition. The free internet was great. The pool was good.

Bad:

The desk has a glass top, so computer mice don't work without a mousepad or magazine. Why do hotels keep using glass tops for desks given this limitation? Also, the shower was terrible - barely any water pressure.

Ugly:

I forgot the USB charger for my BlackBerry. People leave them in rooms all the time, and many hotels that I've stayed at keep them in a box at the front desk for use by future guests. Not the Disneyland Hotel. The front desk said that, yes people leave them, but they donate them all to charity. They recommended that I search Downtown Disney for a store to purchase one (at $20+). Wow, really? Instead of providing a free and valuable guest service, or keeping people's chargers in case they come back and want them back, they give them away. Horrible policy Disney.

Overall, for $340/night, I was disappointed, especially by the hotel's device-charger-giveaway policy and the shower water pressure. I've always been happy at Paradise Pier and especially at the Grand Californian, so I likely won't stay at the Disneyland Hotel again. Not that Disney really cares given that they will still be getting our money...

Room Tip: Ask for a fireworks view.
2  Thank TravelBabbo
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel several times over the past 20 years, but more recently we've chosen the Paradise Pier or Grand Californian for a more updated hotel experience. The Disneyland Hotel was tired, dingy, and no longer worth the price. However, after reading about all of the recent upgrades to the Disneyland Hotel, I booked my family of three there for four nights. "Remodels" are often overhyped and simply boil down to new bed coverings and shower curtains. This truly is not the case at the Disneyland Hotel. To begin, each tower is now themed to coordinate with Disneyland's three main areas- Fantasy, Frontier, and Adventure. Upon entering your room, you will be dazzled with new Disney touches, both subtle and over-the-top. Every surface and furnishing has been refinished and replaced to enhance your Disney experience!

The new resort pool truly lives up to a Disney experience now complete with ample space, water slides, and magical Disney theme. For moms and dads, the Tiki Bar is a fabulous addition complete with a great menu of small plates and tropical cocktails. YUM!

The cons for our room were:
1. Absolutely no water pressure from the shower head. I'm not sure how you save water if you're spending twice as long in the shower.
2. The room was too small for two queen beds. The space is better suited for a king with a day bed or two doubles. One side of each of the queens was virtually pushed up against the perimeter of the room making it difficult to get in and out of bed. Our room was really too small for three adult-sized people (teenage daughter, husband and myself).
3. Where are the iHome docking stations?

1  Thank capartyof3
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Please remember Disneyland is not for everyone (including this world-traveling grandmother). The Disneyland hotel was nice great pool for a 5 year old. We planned the trip so as to not have "hot" weather nor children out of school. October 1st and 2nd - 104 and 102. The weather was very hot and the park VERY crowded what helped is staying at the Disneyland hotel, a must with young children. The monorail is a easy walk back to the hotel. We had a very nice room on the 10th floor (Frontier Land) facing the pool and the Matterhorn.

The pool setup is great for familes and adults. Remember all of the restaurants in the area server very mediocre food with lots of caleries!

We are very glad to have given our 5 year old granddaughter the Disney experience once.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This trip consisted of my husband, 3 kids, and myself. We flew into John Wayne (HIGHLY recommended) and took the Disney Express to the hotel. If you go this route, the Disneyland Hotel is the second stop, the first being the Grand Californian. Our bus was late by about 20 minutes, but traffic is traffic, so just be aware that it might happen. It's still less than 20 minutes to the hotel.

Upon arrival, we were checked right in, by a friendly man named Garret. They knew that we were celebrating our daughters' 10th and 14th birthdays, and believe me, they CARE about their guests. Our daughters were given autogrpahed 8X10 glossy photos of their favorite Disney characters (they don't have photos of ALL characters), they were also given personalized "Happy Birthday" buttons to wear in the parks. When the cast members see the buttons, they always say, "Happy Birthday..." and call the child by name. What an amazing experience for the kids. The rest of us were given "I'm Celebrating" buttons to wear.

We were upgraded to an 11th floor room in the Frontier Tower (be sure to ask for an upgrade if possible) overlooking the pool. The view was incredible. The whole wall is one big window, and we even watched the fireworks from our room one night. The grounds of the resort are immaculate. Each person in the party receives a room key, which the kids love.

The room was beautiful. Two queens and a sofa sleeper that sleeps one. Beautiful Disney decor, two robes, and plush pillows/comfy beds added the magic. The headboard is the best part of the entire room. It lights up and plays a song from Cinderella. When I called the front desk with a question, the cast member answered the phone with, "Welcome Home, Niemeyer Family, how can I help you?" It's worth it to pay for this kind of service, you guys!! The rooms have a small fridge if you want to bring water, which I recommend because it's 3 bucks a bottle everywhere in the resort, and the tap water is.... meh. There is a small coffee pot in the room, but don't even bother. The coffee is terrible. God to Haagen Daz in Downtown Disney and enjoy Peet's coffee. Trust me.

The location of the hotel is great because you can walk right into Downtown Disney and hop on the monorail to Disneyland, OR you can cut through the Grand Californian into California Adventure. Also, resort guests also get to enjoy the Magic Morning hours every day of their stay. You can charge everything to your room with your room key and ID to make it even easier to spend money!!

The Tangaroa Terrace restaurant is very convenient, but the food isn't that fantastic. Earl of Sandwich is right outside the hotel and they have the best sandwiches around (and some of the cheapest fare in the resort)! We were thankful to have been there for the grand opening.

The pool is phenomenal. The kids (and us old folk) enjoyed the monorail waterslides, there are plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas, and lots of lifeguards on duty. You can rent private cabanas if you want, but I couldn't imagine the need. Cast Members come and take orders if you are hungry/thirsty. We brought our own food and enjoyed it in the sun. Towels are provided at the pool.

Upon check out, we had 6 hours to spend in the park before our bus came to take us to the airport. We brought our bags to Bell Services and they took care of everything. When we returned, our bags were brought to us in minutes and everything was smooth. The bus was 20 minutes late again, but it's such a short ride to John Wayne, that this was not an issue.

If you are coming to Disneyland, please stay at one of the resort hotels. I recommend this one, as it's less expensive than the Grand Californian, close to the monorail, and the pool is AMAZING (we still have not stayed at Paradise Pier). If you are curious about the Grand Californian, see my other review: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g29092-d208755-r115973512-Disney_s_Grand_Californian_Hotel-Anaheim_California.html

I hope you have a magical time, wherever you choose to stay!

Room Tip: Request a view of the pool, high enough to see the fireworks, or a view of Downtown Disney.
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked the Disneyland Hotel with the hopes of "staying in the moment" for every second that my family and I were at Disneyland. We took the Supershuttle from SNA (Orange County airport) wish I would NOT recommend. They were unorganized and a couple of their drivers got into an argument right before we boarded the shuttle. They were also late picking us up for the airport, which added unnecessary stress to trip. Disneyland has a bus transport that looked nice and seemed much more efficient. The hotel lacks that WOW factor when you pull up. It looked like any other hotel and I couldn't see anywhere the name of the hotel from the outside. There are 3 towers, Frontier (more for the convention crowd), Fantasy and Adventure. If you want to see Disneyland park and/or the fireworks, stay on the upper floor of the Adventure tower. We were "upgraded" to a premium room (from a deluxe) and our room was on the 11th floor of the Fantasy tower overlooking the pool. I'm not sure why this is a premium room, but it did have nice big windows that overlooked the pool. Unfortunately, you could hear the fireworks going off but couldn't see them. The rooms were clean and had cute details such as the light up headboard and Mickey mouse details around the room. The only real cons I had with the room were: starchy, scratchy robes and the lack of storage/drawer space for our clothes. We traveled with 4 people (husband, wife and 2 small kids). There were 3 small drawers and the closet. Since we were staying at the hotel for a week, it would have been nice to put our clothes away and not live out of a suitcase. The room does has a refrigerator and a small single cup coffee maker. The staff at the hotel were very nice and constantly asked if we needed anything, the pool service could be improved (servers seemed bored and uninterested in being there). The pool had many lifeguards, so I never felt that my kids were not being watched at all times. Before we left, we checked out the Grand California Hotel next to the Disneyland Hotel and it was much nicer...of course it is more expensive too. Overall, I would definitely stay at the hotel again.
One other side-note, if you have tickets for several days in the park and have even the thought that you might want to stay an extra day...make sure you "upgrade" your ticket before the end of your final day. Our family wanted to add on an additional day in the park, but would have had to pay for a full price ticket for each of us when the upgrade would have only been about 20/each if we had done so before the final day was over.

Room Tip: Adventure Tower, upper level to see fireworks
2  Thank MaciEugene