“We won't stay again”
Review of Disneyland Hotel

Disneyland Hotel
Ranked #20 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We booked a last minute family vacation and with 2 little ones (8 months and 3) we wanted something close so we didn't have to rent a car and we could walk to the parks and come back during the day if we needed to. The hotel was nice, but the only reason to stay here is the convenience.

Our first night was HORRIBLE! We were right next to the service elevator. There was constant noise all night long and around 5 or 6 am it sounded like we were staying below a weight gym. The noise kept the kids up all night (not even mickey could pull all of us out of our sleep deprived bad mood). The following morning I spoke with the manager and he apologized. He credited us for one night and offered us a different room when we came back that afternoon. We headed to the parks and came back for naps. Not even 10 minutes later the hotel started calling us (the room multiple times and my cell phone) to tell us the new room was ready. After 10 minutes when we hadn't moved rooms yet, they continued to call now asking if we still wanted the other room. (repacking everything and getting the kids organized is a challenge!)

The food was limited, but being that downtown disney was so close, we always went and got food outside of the hotel.

Housekeeping never actually cleaned our room. We would come back to the hotel in the mid afternoon for naps and I always had to call for towels or whatever else we needed and I would bring our trash to a hotel garbage whenever it needed to be emptied.

My biggest complaint is housekeeping. We left a couple things in our room (my ipod and a jambox speaker). I called as soon as we landed but lost and found was closed. I called the next morning and was told that there was nothing left from our room. I explained in detail where both items were left and she said she would ask housekeeping, but housekeeping always turns things in because if items aren't claimed after 90 days, they get to keep them. I called again the next day and was told again that nothing had been turned in. Yes, it is my fault for leaving them and both items can be replaced, but the ipod was a wedding gift from my husband and they don't make that model anymore. I just expected more from disney employees. My point: use your in room safe and don't forget anything.

Room Tip: Make sure that you are not next to the service elevator! If you are, don't even go in the room...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Smcali1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,989)

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We've always stayed at hotels that are nearby, but off property. This time we wanted to try the Disneyland Hotel since it has recently been renovated. We were not disappointed! What a treat to be immersed in the magic of Disney. There are hotels that are as close or closer to walk to, but none help you continue in the feeling and service that Disney has to offer its guests. Some would complain that all things Disney are pricey compared to other hotels and amusement parks, but I am here to tell you that you get what you pay for. Nothing compares....
Our room was beautifully decorated and clean. If you are one who appreciates details, then these rooms will delight!
We will most certainly be back.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CAgrand
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Just returned from staying at the Disneyland hotel w/ our 3 small boys (ages 9,7, & 2 1/2) from Wed. thru Friday. Had not been to Dland hotel since the early '90's. KEEP IN MIND: Disneyland is an experience, it is costly but WORTH it. You get what you pay for there, and more!! LOVED their new renovations. Having been in the hospitality business with a five star hotel chain, I was impressed w/ the attention to detail on all levels! Check in, valet, bell service smooth, welcoming, friendly. Room clean. Design clever. Room-Service, prompt, good & reasonable, considering typical cost of room service at all hotels. Pool view was worth the extra money as it was beautiful to peer down at during the night. The employees were competent, friendly the property was abundantly staffed. Property as a whole incredibly clean and all themed areas really hit the mark. The pool areas were AWESOME!! Kids loved the pool as much as they loved Dland & Calif. Advent. parks. LOTS of attentive lifeguards which we really appreciated. Only one true complaint....the bath towels I would have used as rags in my own home. Although they were clean you could tell that they were a little greying from the many washes. Not to mention the the bath towels were on the small side. It's time Disney, to replace the towels in the Disneyland hotel. They should be softer, whiter, newer and a little bigger.. (we are not large people, either). But as this is my only true complaint in 2nights & 3days....you are doing a GREAT JOB, from my perspective!! My family thanks you, MR. WALT DISNEY, for your initial vision and the magical memories your product has created for each of one of my family members.

Room Tip: Weather permitting, try to wrap up your adventure by unwinding at the pool for a day! A great way t...
1  Thank mary O
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We just got back from visiting this hotel and let me tell you it was great! From the time we entered the hotel to the time we left everyone was very nice and super friendly. The staff is really great. The rooms were good. It was nice to have 2 sinks and the toilet in it's own closet so we could be in the bathroom getting ready if somone needed to visit the toilet. We are a family of 5 and that definately helped out. We had a pool view that was really fun. The stay was great, but the food was terrible. We ate most of our meals from the tangaroa terrace because that was quick and right by our room. The food was really bad. Very pricy and not much food for the little ones. They are picky eaters and wasted a lot of food. We ate at Goofy's kitchen and did the character breakfast thing. Definately not worth the money. Very expensive and I was assuming we would see Goofy and Mickey and Minnie. It was Goofy, Pluto, Balu the Bear, and Rafiki from the Lion King. Very disappointing on the characters. The food was not good. At this point Im not sure if I would stay here again. I was expecting a lot more and it just was not there. We still had to walk a ways to disneyland. The Monorail that would take you into disneyland was a great help, but it shuts down every night right when you are ready to head back to the hotel and we would have to wait 30-45 minutes. Very long for small ones and not good timing cause they were ready for bed. I think next time I would try The Grand Californian Hotel or save the money and stay off the resort for better food.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the frontier tower. I can't remember which tower we were but it was just at t...
2  Thank Jeni R
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I recently stayed here for a weekend trip to Disneyland. The recent renovations to this hotel are stunning. The rooms are immaculate and the beds are oh so comfortable. The room is modern yet has very beautiful Disney touches. From the fixtures to the bedding all the way to the magical headboard. You are surrounded by Disney and it really gets you in the spirit for your trip. We had to visit the hottest weekend of the year so the pools were a hot ticket item. There are 3 water slides and 2 pools for everyone's enjoyment. Even though it was crowded, we had plenty of space to lounge and swim.

We were placed in the Frontier tower which is the furthest tower but just as lovely. We didn't mind the walk and it only added a total of maybe a minute or so to reach Downtown Disney. When visiting Disneyland, we always hopped on the monorail and never had to wait. This puts you in the center of the park and ready to start your day. When going to California Adventure park, we always used the entrance located inside of Disney's Grand Californian hotel. This was really convenient when using the early entry. We skipped the line at the front entrance and got in a lot quicker. Be sure to bring your hotel key when using this entrance. They have been cracking down lately and really check your hotel dates to make sure you are truly a hotel guest.

All in all, I would definitely come back to this hotel. It was so relaxing to stay on property and not have to worry about shuttle times or delays. It was like we never left the magic. If it is in the budget, I would stay here again and again.

I have stayed at Paradise Pier and the Grand Californian. Paradise pier has an amazing view of California Adventure, but the elevators are slow and the amenities lacking when comparing the three properties. The Grand Californian is the closest and the most luxurious but does not have as many Disney touches. If you are looking for a modern hotel with traditional Disney elegance and style, this is your place!

Room Tip: Always ask for a resort view or a pool view. They will usually grant this if they are available.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DisneyBride09
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was our third visit to Disneyland in California. We have stayed off property the other two times, but this time we wanted to be close to where my husband would be starting and ending the Half Marathon.

We were given a room in the Frontier building, which was a longer walk than I was expecting. I would say if you are booking to be close the parks, then Grand Californian is much closer, although at a higher price tag. The Frontier building is actually further to walk to than Paradise Pier.

The room was really beautiful and my kids loved the fireworks and song on the headboard. The beds are incredibly comfortable and we all really slept well every night. Rooms were always cleaned really well, although late in the day. Often when I would bring my daughter back for her nap they still hadn't cleaned the room.

We did enjoy the early entry as Cars Land is included in this early entry time and it is worth paying for the hotel just to get onto those rides faster. Also we were able to ride all of the classic rides in Fantasyland and the Tomorrowland rides on separate days, before the park opened to the public.

I would like to try Paradise Pier and Grand Californian so I can compare all three properties.

Room Tip: We booked with Air Canada vacations and arrived at midnight and were given a room in the Frontier bu...
3  Thank JamieMarieB
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was very surprised and disappointed by our last experience with the Disneyland hotel, especially after staying there numerous times before. We have taken a break from purchasing the Annual Passports for the last couple of years because they keep raising the prices and now they are insanely expensive. Our oldest child will be leaving for college next year so we decided to suck it up and buy them this year.

At check in we were told our room wasn't ready and were given the keys and pin number to call in and check on the room. Check in is listed as 3:00 but our room wasn't available until 4:00,which is upsetting when you're staying only one night and can't get in the room at the promised time.

While waiting for the room I went to the Trader Sams bar to see the menu and tried to ask how much the cocktails were since the menu doesn't list prices. The bartender was rude and told me he'd help me in a minute, but never did. The question would've taken one second to answer, and if you don't want staff to have to interact with customers, then you should list the prices on the menu and avoid the whole thing.

Our room was nice when we were finally checked in. I prefer the Disneyland Hotel because the rooms are much larger than Grand Californian. We didn't get any turn down service or little Disney chocolates on the pillows like we did in all our previous visits though. They also charge guests at the hotel 15 dollars for self parking when it used to be free.

We ate dinner at Storytellers Cafe which is usually our favorite but all the staff were not very happy. While making small talk on the way to the table I commented that the hostess must be happy to have a job inside where it was cool because it was over a 100 degrees that day. She said that her job had other downsides to it, which is crazy unprofessional. The waiter never smiled and was so short in all his interactions and responses. At the end of the meal my daughter commented that every staff member looked like they were depressed. Not the typical
excellent Disney service.

After adding up all the little things- increased pass prices, no more option to purchase discounted parking with Annual Pass, parking fee for hotel guests, late check-in, no turn down service, poor restaurant/bar service....I feel very sad that I shelled out thousands of dollars to stay and visit Diseyland for the year. It used to be a family favorite, and now I feel very nickeled and dimmed for everything. If they are going to charge so much more the service level should at minimum stay the same, if not reach higher. Instead it's taken a noticeable plummet.

7  Thank cakeshop