“a family hotel you can stay in for weeks”

Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate
Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Hotel grounds is very clean. Plants are trimmed well, curbs, buildings and signs well painted and maintained. Looks very new, as if it was built 8 months ago. Front desk staff was very cheerful, helpful and accommodating. Parking is near full but huge so you'll always have a slot. Location is very good near Disney. A little too far to walk to Disney but tram picks you up/drops you back off in hotel compound so you can leave your car at the hotel. Atmosphere if a gated townhouse. Guy who sells tickets (tram, amusement park etc) is very efficient and know everything about the area. It's seems safe enough to let kids walk ahead of you a few steps. There are lots of restaurants around the area that close late so you can leave Disney at 930pm up, have a late dinner then back to the hotel in 10 mins.

Room is very, very, very very clean! Smells fresh like a hotel should. Bed and beddings were clean and comfy, you could even walk barefoot on the carpet. As soon as we entered the room we all fell in love with it. We got a studio by the way which was huge. It had a kitchenette with a microwave, coffee maker, full ref. I cant remember if it had a cooking stove. It had a separate three seater sofa-bed, TV had good cable channel choices so kids are not bored. There is a writing desk, coffee table and dining table. Pricey at S135 but well worth it.

Only negative:
Bathroom while very clean is a little bare and needs some cosmetic improvement to keep it at par with the room. Seems like no bell hop service so you carry your own bags.

Room Tip: book months ahead or days in advance
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank sandbites
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate

Reviewed May 31, 2011

We have stayed at Residence Inn Maingate before and returned again this time. Love the full kitchen due to a variety of allergies in our family. My husband loves the full breakfast buffet. Comfortable bed. Sofa bed is not as comfortable for adults but our small kids slept there and were fine with it. Comes with feather pillows but can ask for no feather pillows. No smoking rooms but some people smoked outside on the path. They have rooms dedicated for pets and rooms for no pets. The room was very clean but is starting to have some wear on the wallpaper and caulking. They offer free grocery shopping service at the local Albertson's, just leave your list by 9 am and they will bring it that day and charge the groceries to your room. It is a long walk, about 15 minutes. If you are in good health, it is not a problem. I had injured my leg, so most days, my husband drove the kids and I to the 15 minute drop-off parking in front of the pedestrian entrance of Disneyland Resort. Then he would drive back to the hotel and walk over. We walked back every night with kids in the double stroller. They have the Anaheim shuttle available for a fee, also. Quick and friendly service by the employees. The only negative was that the laundry room had a homeless person it it but security makes regular rounds and asked the person to leave. It has a locked door (unlock with your room key) but guests do not leave it closed, leaving it vulnerable to people who are not staying at the hotel.

1  Thank ctrb
rrodriguez_maingate, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2011

Dear ctrb,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your great stay with us. I want to give you an extra special thanks for packing so much information about our hotel in one review. There are a lot of great amenities and services that we provide that help make us a perfect fit for families. I’m glad that you and your husband enjoyed our complimentary full buffet breakfast and the full size kitchens in our suites.

The only two points I wanted to expand on were the following: We offer complimentary double plush mattress pads that we can place on any sofa bed to help make it more comfortable for our guests. If you would like a mattress pad all you have to do is contact the front desk and they will have it placed on your bed ASAP. Also, the fee for the Anaheim Resort Transit it $4 for the day for adults and $1 for children between the ages of 3-9. The shuttle picks up at our property every 20 minutes and takes guests over to Disneyland up until a half hour after the park closes.

You really seemed to cover most everything other than that. Thank you again for writing about your great stay. I hope we will have the pleasure of your company the next time you stay in the Anaheim Resort Area.

Reviewed May 25, 2011

We stayed one night while we went to Disneyland for 2 days. Theresa and Erica went above and beyond to make sure my family was comfortable. After I messed up and made the reservation for the wrong day, Theresa corrected everything, upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite AND had the room ready for our arrival at 10:30AM! I can't tell you how important that is when traveling with twin 2 yr olds. After 2 hrs in the car they needed a diaper change and my wife and I got the chance to unload everything and unwind for a few before the Disney madness began.

The room was great with 2 bedrooms, a full kitchen, a living room area with dining room table, 2 separate bathrooms and all the amenities to help you feel at home. For a family this place is perfect!

As for walking distance to Disneyland, it isn't. In all honesty not many of the hotels around Disney are a short walk. We drive over to Downtown Disney and park there. 1st 3 hours are free then 6 bucks an hour. With the little ones, we're rarely there more than 4 or 5 hours. And it allows for a nice little walk thru downtown Disney to enjoy the sites and smell all the delicious restaurants.

In summary, if you are traveling with a family and want a comfortable accommodation with perfect service close to Disney then stay at the Residence Inn Maingate. It's not a high end 5 star resort but you feel like a 5 star guest when you leave. Enjoy

2  Thank mikevideo
rrodriguez_maingate, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2011

Dear mikevideo,

Thank you so much for the great review! I will make sure to pass on the kind words to Theresa and Erica. I’m very proud of how hard our front desk team works to not only correct issues for our guests, but to handle them in a way that exceeds our guests expectations. I also want to thank you for the great feedback about our suites. I totally agree that our hotel is a perfect choice for families looking for spacious and comfy suites at a great value.
I would like to add some comments about some of the points you made in order to help clarify information for readers. Our hotel is located a half mile from Disneyland’s main entrance. This usually makes for a 10-15 minute walk to the park for a family, but I understand why walking may be difficult for some. The fact that people visiting Disneyland easily walk over 5 miles a day while in the park alone means that the walk to and from the park might be a bit over the top, especially for families with small children. But many of our guests find the walk is very doable. Another option to walking to Disney is the Anaheim Resort Transit which picks up at our property every 20 minutes (nominal fee).
I also wanted to mention an inside bit of information for Downtown Disney. As you mentioned, the first three hours are free, but it is also good to know that you can receive up to five hours free with the purchase of any item in Downtown Disney. This is perfect for families who might like to spend some time shopping, dining and even catching a movie at the AMC 12 theater in Downtown Disney.
Thank you again for the great review. I love the way statement you made in the closing of your response: “It's not a high end 5 star resort but you feel like a 5 star guest when you leave”. That is exactly the way we want all of our guests to feel. Thank you and I look forward to having you stay with us the next time you are in the Anaheim Resort Area.

Reviewed May 20, 2011

We've stayed here a few times. The property is well maintained and one of the best values around Disneyland. The resort offered free shuttle. If you have kids and more than 5 in your family - this is a great resort. Free breakfast and other meals. Swimming Pool is fun. Friendly staff, close to the resort.

Room Tip: They are all nice
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank des104joy
rrodriguez_maingate, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2011

Dear des104joy,

Thank you so much for the great review. I’m glad to hear that you are a frequent guest. My team and I will work very hard to make sure you continue to consider us one of the best values near Disneyland.

I want to thank you for mentioning many of our great amenities. One correction I’d like to make is that we do not offer free shuttle. The Anaheim Resort Transit picks up at our property every twenty minutes, but they charge a small fee of $4 for adults (ages 10+) and $1 for kids (ages 3-9). Besides that, you got the nail on the head. Our property is a perfect fit for families looking for comfortable suites at a great value. We offer a complimentary buffet breakfast, 24 hour heated pool and Jacuzzi, sports court and equipment, kids playground and much more. On top of all that, we are located only a half mile from the Disneyland them parks.

Thank you again for the wonderful review. I look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you are in the Anaheim Resort Area.

Reviewed May 15, 2011

We just completed our 3-night stay. As other's have stated, the location is within walking distance of the Disney resort. The full breakfast is a great money saver. Because this location is so popular, do not expect much in terms of elite benefits if you are Marriott Rewards member.

1 week and 3 days before my arrival, I e-mailed about a room upgrade. I never got a response. On my arrival I was told there were no available rooms for upgrade yet when I checked online that same day, the website showed there were larger rooms still available for the same time period of my stay.

In the past I have gotten several items from the Market as part of the Platinum welcome amenity at Residence Inns. For this visit, I was only offered one item.

I requested late checkout but was told they were oversold. I checked the website again, and there were available rooms in my same room category.

Not sure it is standard practice but do not expect much in terms of elite benefits when staying here.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank TheKaiCA
rrodriguez_maingate, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2011

Dear TheKaiCA,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I’m glad you found our hotel location and amenities to be so pleasant. But I would like to focus my reply on your comments about how you felt as a Marriott Rewards Elite member. I would like to start by apologizing for the less than satisfying experience you had as an Elite member. We definitely want to do everything we can to make sure that the loyalty of our rewards members is rewarded.

With that said, I think it is important that I clarify some of our benefits practices when it comes to Marriott Rewards members:

• Upgrades: We offer a complimentary upgrade to the top two levels of Elite members (Gold and Platinum), but this upgrade is based on availability. This upgrade cannot be granted prior to the day of your arrival and is only good for upgrades from the Studio Suite to the One Bedroom Suite. Also, the upgrade must be available for the entire length of your stay.

• Platinum Gift: We offer a complimentary item out of the market or an additional 250 Marriott Rewards points to your account. The one item market gift is a Marriott Global standard and has not been set by our properties management team.

• Late Check Out: We offer a complimentary late check out for Elite members based on availability. I’m sorry that you were told that late check out was simply “not available”. We cannot always offer a check out as late as some Elite members would like, especially when we have a lot of guests arriving that day, but we should always be able to get you a little extra time in the room.

I’d also like to mention that I’m very sorry that you never received a response to your e-mal. Would you please do me the favor of contacting me directly and letting me know what e-mail you wrote to? We have a general e-mail for our front desk, but we always recommend that guests contact manager’s directly with requests. My personal e-mail is rrodriguez@rimhospitality.com. I am always happy to help with answering questions or responding to requests.

I would like you to know that I have discussed your review with our front desk team and we have reviewed our Marriott Rewards benefits practices with them as well. Again, I’m very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our property and hope that you will give us another chance to make you feel valued as a Marriott Rewards Elite member the next time you are in the Anaheim Resort Area.

Reviewed May 14, 2011

My wife and I spent 4 days at this hotel in late April 2011. The location is about a 10-15 walk to the maingate at Disneyland. There are lots of 2-3 star accomodations closer (i.e. right on South Harbour across the street from Mickeyland) but this is a very nice, quiet and clean suites hotel. The full kitchen is equipped nicely and the furnishings are about what you would expect at such a hotel. The hotel suites are just two stories and spread out over a large area (resemble condo's but with maid service!) Try and get a room close to the gatehouse or main office building as you will be spending a lot of time there for the free breakfast buffet, the pool and workout room. Prices are reasonable given that parking and WI-FI are free and they have the manager's receptions on Mondays thru Wednesdays where you can score some free food and drinks in the main area. Check in and check out were a breeze and staff were efficient and accommodating. Without assigned parking spaces if you come in late you sometimes have to park quite aways from your unit but this is a minor incovenience. The place is about a 30 minute drive from LAX by rental car and is just off the main interstate although you would never know it as it was very peaceful at all times of the day and night. There is a Von's about a mile away for groceries, but it's a bit sketchy with security guards present etc. (not sure I have ever seen THAT in Canada!) The hotel will also apparently pick up groceries on your behalf if you book ahead which is a pretty cool service. The newish Garden Gate mall which you will pass as you head to Disneyland is a bit of a ghost town. Just far enough off the beaten track that when we went during what should have been prime shopping time, you could have shot a cannon through it without hitting anyone. Not sure how those business' survive. Also, Angels Stadium is a 10 minute cab ride away and the Honda Centre another 5 mins. So very central location if you are here for anything other than Walt's place. Residence Inn Maingate derserves your consideration.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper suite
Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank trentlarge

Dear trentlarge,

Thank you for posting such an informative review. I specifically appreciate you taking the time to mention so many details about our surrounding area.

I’m very happy to hear that you found our hotel to be a better choice than the many other hotels in the Anaheim Resort Area. As you mentioned, we are a condo style hotel, which makes us for perfect for anyone on vacation. Our guests can enjoy the perks of being at a hotel (maid service, free breakfast, etc), but still enjoy the comfort of a large suite and sunny Anaheim weather. The only thing you mentioned about our hotel that I would like to correct is the evening social hour schedule. The social hour is held on Monday, Wednesday and every other Friday evening from 5pm-7pm.

I also wanted to expand on some of the location information you listed. We are directly across the street from the Anaheim Garden Walk, a half mile away from the Disneyland theme parks, 1.5 miles from Angel Stadium, and 2 miles from the Honda Center. We are also only twenty minutes from local beaches and about 45 minutes from Hollywood.

Thank you again for the great review. I look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you are in the Anaheim Resort Area.

Reviewed May 10, 2011

We stayed at the Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate for 4 nights in early May. We really enjoyed the hotel and had a great experience. We arrived at 11:00 am and the management really worked to find us a room that was ready, even though e were trying to check in early. While we waited they gave us access to the pool so my daughter was able to swim while we waited.

The room was nice - we had the queen bed plus pull-out couch which was perfect for our 4 year old daughter. We were even able to pre-order a pillow top cover for the pull-out mattress. It was really nice having the kitchen for lunch prep (we brought lunch into Disneyland) and the fridge/freezer had an ice maker which was nice. Overall the room was clean, comfortable and quiet.

The pool area was great for kids. It has a standard pool plus a kiddie pool and a hot tub. There is also a small playground for the kids.

The breakfast buffet was decent. Not fabulous but perfectly fine for a filling meal before hitting Disney. They have the typical fare - scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast, hash browns, cereal, bagels, muffins, etc. The best was the Belgian waffle makers. Yum! Get there early though (before 7:30 am) or it is a complete madhouse.

The only issue we had was that the wireless rarely worked in the rooms. It did work pretty well in the lobby though.

Overall, this is a great family hotel within walking distance to Disneyland.

1  Thank AngieS_11
rrodriguez_maingate, Manager at Residence Inn Anaheim Maingate, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2011

Dear AngieS_11,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I appreciate the helpful suggestions you give readers about staying with us. Helping our future guests enjoy their stay is a big part of why I make it a priority to respond to Trip Advisor reviews.

I’m glad you found our hotel to be the perfect place for families. I totally agree! Our amenities and features are geared towards families on vacation. For one, our pool is open 24 hours and is fully heated. Also, we have a sports court which can be used for basketball, tennis and volleyball (which is perfect for kids looking to burn off some energy). As you mentioned, the fact that our rooms have full size kitchens is great for families. Not only can they save money by not having to eat out all day long, but parents can give their families healthier food options. Finally, the complimentary buffet breakfast is great for families. We serve a wide variety of breakfast items that we change up throughout the week. On top of that, we are open early (6:30am weekdays and 7am weekends) so that families looking to get an early start at Disneyland can still enjoy a hearty breakfast.

I would also like to address some of the points you made about the crowds at breakfast and our wireless internet. These are two areas where we have been making changes in order to better serve our guests. We are currently in the process of strengthening our wireless signal throughout our property. We are happy to have already seen big improvements in certain areas, but are still working on seeing these improvements happen throughout our entire property. As for the crowds at breakfast, the management team is trying to figure out the best way to approach this. Our focus is on getting the crowds down during our peak hour (8am-9am). We have already made changes to the seating arrangements, but we are still looking for new options that might help with the crowding.

Thank you again for writing about your stay with us. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in the Anaheim Resort Area.