“3 Star Hotel Luxury at 1 Star Pricing...Hidden Gem!!”

Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Resort
Ranked #69 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 21, 2009

I literally spent over 20 hours scouring the internet to find the best possible place to stay for our family vacation while in Anaheim. We wanted a place within walking distance to Disneyland, a place that was under $100/night, and most importantly a place that was modern, clean and comfortable. The Red Lion Hotel in Anaheim was all of those things and so much more.

When I booked my reservation through an online travel site, there were very few reviews of the current Red Lion property since it's complete remodel in early 2009. I was a bit leary of staying at a place that I knew little about, but went to the hotel's main website to see the amenities and professional photographs of the property. Most hotels have pictures that make the hotel look a whole lot better than it really is. But, from the minute we arrived into the main lobby, everything we saw was exactly as it was portrayed on their website.

You cannot stay in a 3+ star hotel near Disney, for under $100, that is nicer than this place. (We got our room for $72 a night, but we talked to a family in the pool one night that had reserved their room for $40/night thru Priceline....either way, definately worth the money.) It was BEAUTIFUL. Everything is very clean, modern and updated. The beds are very comfortable...pillowtop mattress, down comforters, extra down pillows on each bed. LOVED that!! Each room has a large flat screen t.v. and all of the furnishings are completly new and trendy. The bathrooms have a separate door from the main living space of the room, which was nice for us to get up before our kids and shower and get ready for the day without waking them up. The countertops in the bathroom are a marbled black granite, and all of the fixtures are brushed chrome.

My son used the pool every night and could even see a few of the fireworks from that area. It has 2 really nice seating/lounging areas on the side of the pool that each have a gas-powered fireplace. COZY and relaxing!!

We ate at the hotel's restaurant for breakfast one morning. If you get the buffet, your kids eat free. They offered to charge it to our room so we didn't have to mess with the bill. It had a large variety of food and was really pretty good! The only reason we didn't eat there again was because we wanted to try a variety of places on our trip.

A lot of people online have recommended using the shuttle service to get to and from the park. We had planned on it too, but decided to walk to Disney the first day just to see how far it was. It literally took us less than 15 minutes to get to Disney's main entrance. We opted to save the money from the shuttle and just walk each day. It's an easy walk, especially since you're walking all day in the park....what's a few more minutes?? We have 2 small children with us and we just pushed them in the stroller. Plus, then you don't have to wait for the shuttle to arrive each time. The entire walk has a large, lighted sidewalk that keeps you out of traffic. The palm trees even have lights up and down each of the trunks...which is really pretty when you're walking at night.

One of the biggest complaints about the property that I'm seeing is the customer service. We had nothing but a great experience with everyone we encountered during our stay. We arrived 4 hours earlier than the normal check-in time. Our room was ready and they let us right into our room without hesitation. We stayed on the 4th floor on the side of the hotel facing Disneyland. I was worried that we wouldn't be able to see the fireworks from our room, but the lady checking us in said that after the first night if we were unhappy with our view, they would gladly move us up further. It ended up that we could see them perfectly from our window. How fun!! And when we ate at the restaurant, we had 2 people serving us and both were very friendly and kept our coffee filled to the top of the mugs with fresh coffee. I also called down to the front desk a couple times needing information regarding local attractions and always received helpful input and got what I needed from them. I have absolutely no complaints with the customer service that we experienced. Maybe they have taken the criticism from other customers and have worked out the kinks??

We loved the location of the hotel and enjoyed eating at several places in the Garden Walk. It's just a 5 minute walk from the hotel. Gives you a nice break from the fast pace of the parks to be able to sit and have a quiet meal. There are also a couple of convenience stores across the street (well, more of kitty-corner from the hotel) that have snacks and other necessities should a need arise.

The next time we visit Disneyland, I won't even bother to look into other hotels. We absolutely loved everything about the Red Lion Anaheim and would stay here again in a heartbeat!!

2  Thank WeLove2Vaca
Write a ReviewReviews (2,194)

Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stayed at this hotel while visiting Disneyland. It was very close, only about 10 minute walk to the main gate where the shuttle bus drop off is.

I was concerned about this hotel after reading reviews, but was very happy with my stay. I got one of the rooms through Priceline and the other was a discounted price through their website. Our rooms were in the second building facing the main street. We had 2 connecting rooms that had been updated and they had a refrigerator and microwave and very comfortable beds. The rooms each have their own air conditioner which kept the room very cool and cut the noise from traffic outside.

The front desk personnel were very nice and I had no problems at all!! Don't understand what all the complaints were about. I would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank psdabj
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed with our 5 month old baby girl for 4 nights. Check in went ok- no smiles from the customer service at the front desk, but maybe they didn't feel like smiling that day. We requested a crib which was functional- metal crib with a firm mattress. You may consider bringing a pack n play if you don't feel comfortable with this.

The location was perfect- 15 minute walk to Disneyland. We walked back & forth 3 x with our baby - 2x in a carrier & once with a stroller. Fast food restaurants on the way back were convenient with Garden Walk mall only 1 block (long blocks) away.

The room had modern decor- not the same as the pic posted on one of the other reviews. We could see fireworks from the window by the elevator banks.

The one thing that was not so good was that the walls are paper thin. it's a given that hotels don't have thick walls- but we could hear EVERYthing next door. It was like having extra roomates on both sides of our room.

The front desk isn't very friendly- with one exception. There was one customer rep that was really good- she gave us directions & suggestions for a restaurant. I tried to keep going to her- her name is Myra.

We did get the Priceline rate so it was very reasonable- and it was a last minute reservation.

1  Thank CheleL
Reviewed October 9, 2009

I loved the updated rooms. Very clean and very nice. Bathrooms were updated with granite and very clean. The service was great. Within walking distance of the Disneyland park. Nicest workout room on our trip.

1  Thank desert_yogi
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We recently stayed at the Red Lion hotel just a few blocks away from Disneyland. Our stay was excellent! The hotel was very clean and comfortable and I was suprised at how convenient it was. We had a 10 minute walk to Disneyland in the morning and about a 20 minute walk back at night, but that is only because we had to carry a sleeping 4 year old who was exhausted from all the fun!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank dni69
Reviewed September 22, 2009

If you're planning to visit Disneyland, the Red Lion is in a really great location. It's a ten minute walk to the park, but if it's a swelteringly hot day, there is a shuttle that stops right outside the hotel that will drop you off at the gates ($4 day ticket).
Very nice hotel, with comfortable rooms and ethernet cables for internet connections (for computers with broken wifi). The pool is huge and very nice, with comfortable lounge and deck chairs around it.
As with other reviews, I wasn't particularly impressed with the restaurant. The woman working behind the bar was also the server in the restaurant, and she didn't seem too happy to be interrupted. The dinner was fine, but quite an odd menu.
We had a decent stay until we checked out. We asked for someone to come and get our bags (we had 5+ full sized suitcases) and were told to stay in the room, someone would be up in a minute. Half an hour later, I went downstairs to see what was happening... one person was on the desk checking a queue of 10+ parties in and out, while at least 3 other employees milled around, looking bored. The staff couldn't find a luggage cart, and didn't even bother to ring up to my room to tell me that there would be a delay.
Stay for a nice hotel, but don't expect great service.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PuffC
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Ok, to start out....I would not stay here again with my kids. I have to give credit where it is due. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Every person we encountered smiled and helped any way they could. They even map-quested a doctors office for us when our daughter came down with an ear infection. As frielndly and helpful as they all were they seemed to be overworked. Not enough staff to handle everything it seemed. I believe a previous poster stated they believed they dont wash your room glasses, they just wipe them down....I believe that is exactly what they do. (Gross) Also we saw room service trays sitting in the same spot for days at a time.

The room was nice but pretty standard. The pool, while it has the fire pits which are cool did not feel heated at all, very cold. My daughters would swim every second of being at any hotel if we let them and they would not even set foot in the freezing cold pool. Also no hot tub which I thought is horrible for any hotel let alone one that is suppose to be decent.

Location is ok. Its fairly close to the park but it is a long walk after a hard day pounding the pavement at Disney. Also, yes they do charge for parking but I have to give props to Getawaytoday.com. Our parking was complimentary because we booked through them. They honestly were fantastic. I will book all my future travel with them if possible.

The bottom line is, this place may be just fine for business travel but I would never stay here with my family again. They didnt even have the Disney channel to keep the kids entertained.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family